FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Facilities changes to United at LAX, including a new United Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1501281-facilities-changes-united-lax-including-new-united-club.html)

lesliegolf Sep 11, 2014 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by SS255 (Post 23511838)
months/years?

My money is on years.

cerealmarketer Sep 11, 2014 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by mgcsinc (Post 23511560)
I'm a bit confused, but maybe that's because you got hard to interpret info (as it sounds was the case). Is this all to create a temporary large UC?

The space currently occupied by the UC and gate 70 will ultimately become the security checkpoint.

Looking at the plans I'm not sure they are doing a temporary expansion.

Looks like the escalator to the new club and the check-in desk will be in the area of Gate 70.

Zoom in really closely to page 25.

http://www.lawa.org/uploadedFiles/Ou...%2028_2013.pdf

So the United Club agent's description is correct for what they're doing for the final new club in terms of repositioning of the check-in desk.

Page 24 also specifically shows a Global Service check-in room in the ticketing lobby.

My guess is the new club on the upper level gets built first. Then they do the security checkpoint changes on the existing level which use up space occupied by the current club.

Total project is 12-18 months, so it's possible the new club could be a 6-12 month thing from now.

transportprof Sep 11, 2014 6:01 pm

Will the air side connection between T6 and T7 remain open during, and after, construction? There are some food outlets in T6 that I'd like to keep patronising.

channa Sep 11, 2014 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by transportprof (Post 23512787)
Will the air side connection between T6 and T7 remain open during, and after, construction? There are some food outlets in T6 that I'd like to keep patronising.

Not to mention the AS Lounge for PriorityPass holders.

mgcsinc Sep 11, 2014 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by cerealmarketer (Post 23512697)
Looking at the plans I'm not sure they are doing a temporary expansion.

Looks like the escalator to the new club and the check-in desk will be in the area of Gate 70.

Zoom in really closely to page 25.

http://www.lawa.org/uploadedFiles/Ou...%2028_2013.pdf

So the United Club agent's description is correct for what they're doing for the final new club in terms of repositioning of the check-in desk.

Page 24 also specifically shows a Global Service check-in room in the ticketing lobby.

My guess is the new club on the upper level gets built first. Then they do the security checkpoint changes on the existing level which use up space occupied by the current club.

Total project is 12-18 months, so it's possible the new club could be a 6-12 month thing from now.

Right, I guess that was my question. Is this "expansion" being discussed an expansion to create a temporary larger UC, or beginning of the reconfig to no UC at all?

Maybe the problem with all the rumors going around is the timeline. Maybe the wall-destruction, etc., is many months from now.

I think there is no way the new UC could possibly materialize in six months.

kirkwoodj Sep 11, 2014 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by channa (Post 23512931)
Not to mention the AS Lounge for PriorityPass holders.

Definitely a concern!

mgcsinc Sep 11, 2014 7:19 pm

LAX is about to open up the tunnel between 4 and 5, and is building an airside connector from TBIT to 4. While all of that is ultimately to help AA, I don't think it's remotely in the realm of the likely that the 6-7 bridge will close.

chavala Sep 12, 2014 1:06 am

Originally Posted by mgcsinc (Post 23511560)
I'm a bit confused, but maybe that's because you got hard to interpret info (as it sounds was the case). Is this all to create a temporary large UC?

The space currently occupied by the UC and gate 70 will ultimately become the security checkpoint.

Yes, sorry I know my post was confusing. I was typing as fast as I could while trying to remember what 3 fast talking guys were saying while about to run for my NRT flight.

The way I understood it is they are busting down the wall to gate 70 soon, withing a month, and that will be the temporary lounge while the side between the service desk and the restrooms will be closed off for renovation, and that is where they motioned the escalators and entrance would be.
He said the restrooms will stay in the same place, so I assume there will be some sort of construction access lane to get to them.
I got the idea once the new upstairs club is done (and yes, it sounds like it will be a long while), they will put back the wall and restore gate 70 -- but he didnt actually say that.

That makes sense that area will become the new security checkpoint (they have to do something because the existing is way too small). It sounds like the entire club will be upstairs.

My incoherent line about the desk moving to the desks :confused: ..
I meant the service desk is moving to where the private cubical desks are in the back.

I didn't catch his name but he seemed like he's been there a very long time with senority. A tall, thin, dapper looking white guy with a short beard and grey-ish hair. He was greating the regulars by name and lots seemed to know him, and he was telling all of them about the new plans.

cerealmarketer Sep 12, 2014 4:48 am

Thanks all makes sense now. Glad there will be some temporary expansion while that escalator is built.

Originally Posted by chavala (Post 23514082)
Yes, sorry I know my post was confusing. I was typing as fast as I could while trying to remember what 3 fast talking guys were saying while about to run for my NRT flight.

The way I understood it is they are busting down the wall to gate 70 soon, withing a month, and that will be the temporary lounge while the side between the service desk and the restrooms will be closed off for renovation, and that is where they motioned the escalators and entrance would be.
He said the restrooms will stay in the same place, so I assume there will be some sort of construction access lane to get to them.
I got the idea once the new upstairs club is done (and yes, it sounds like it will be a long while), they will put back the wall and restore gate 70 -- but he didnt actually say that.

That makes sense that area will become the new security checkpoint (they have to do something because the existing is way too small). It sounds like the entire club will be upstairs.

I meant the service desk is moving to where the private cubical desks are in the back.

I didn't catch his name but he seemed like he's been there a very long time with senority. A tall, thin, dapper looking white guy with a short beard and grey-ish hair. He was greating the regulars by name and lots seemed to know him, and he was telling all of them about the new plans.

PHLGovFlyer Sep 12, 2014 5:00 am

More than likely that was Bruce. He's awesome - one of the best UC agents in the system.

mgcsinc Sep 12, 2014 9:36 am

I got it now, thanks!

1KPath Sep 12, 2014 11:12 am

Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer (Post 23514589)
More than likely that was Bruce. He's awesome - one of the best UC agents in the system.

Agree!! He has been one of my "angels" at LAX for many, many years...and I am proud to call him "friend". If anyone knows what is going on, he does!

WineCountryUA Sep 12, 2014 11:44 am

Many of these changes have been confirmed in a new thread posted by UA Insider, http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...y-changes.html.

Given the overlap of topic, I will close this thread for now {and offline discus with the other Mods if to merge or what to further do}

WineCountryUA, UA Mod