FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Facilities changes to United at LAX, including a new United Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1501281-facilities-changes-united-lax-including-new-united-club.html)

ianmanka Feb 14, 2014 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by Critic (Post 22350006)
Dumb question: Why is T8 considered a 'concourse' and not a 'terminal'?

Wild guess: Because there's only gates on the West side of the pier? As opposed to the "terminals" which allow access on all sides of the pier?

Originally Posted by uastarflyer (Post 22350438)
What midfield terminal? I thought LAX is a horseshoe T1-T8

It's the proposed new midfield terminal parallel to the current International Terminal (TBIT). There's a satellite terminal waaaaaaaaaay far away, which is for arrivals only, and I believe is "temporary." But I think it's the kind of "temporary" in the same vein as IAD.

The idea is to make a midfield concourse where the AA(?) maintenance hangars are currently located.

RNE Apr 14, 2014 12:08 pm

TSMRSRNE and I are at the T6 UC as I type and the need for renovation shows! However, what's a no-show is the bartender! Hello!? I've been standing here for 7 minutes!

RNE, how dry I am.

P.S. Also observing kids in the bar area. Note: not "minors," like 15 or so, but toddlers! In the bar! :mad:

sbm12 Apr 14, 2014 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by RNE (Post 22703197)
P.S. Also observing kids in the bar area. Note: not "minors," like 15 or so, but toddlers! In the bar! :mad:

How many of them are in front of you in the line?? ;)

mgcsinc Apr 14, 2014 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by RNE (Post 22703197)
TSMRSRNE and I are at the T6 UC as I type and the need for renovation shows! However, what's a no-show is the bartender! Hello!? I've been standing here for 7 minutes!

RNE, how dry I am.

Once the new UC is open, that one will close altogether (IIRC). So some might take the position that something's better than nothing.

RNE Apr 15, 2014 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12 (Post 22703371)
How many of them are in front of you in the line?? ;)

Good one! After I made that post, someone had the temerity to seat his gradeschool daughter at the bar! AT THE BAR! :eek::mad:

chavala Sep 10, 2014 6:15 am

Just got this with OLCI:

Los Angeles terminal information
General check-in at Los Angeles International (LAX) is located at Terminal 7. If you are eligible for Premier Access, please check in at Terminal 6. All United flights depart from Terminals 6 and 7.

As of September 24, 2014, Premier Access check-in will be relocated to Terminal 7. Effective October 27, 2014, all United flights will arrive at and depart from Terminals 7 and 8, and the United Club in Terminal 6 will close. Economy check-in will remain in Terminal 7, and the United Club in Terminal 7 will remain open.

Two things I'm wondering...
Does this mean they plan to open the new UC by Oct 27? Last month I was there and saw no signs of construction. Or will they just cram everyone into the already crowded club at T7?

Also, it says ALL flights will arv/dpt T7+8.
I've read some of the new MEL-LAX flights (the ones that arrive at 6:50AM), will arv TBIT -- is this still true? or are they now going to open immigration early? I extended my layover time because of this, but it would be nice to take an earlier flight home. All I have to go by is what I read on FT, because the agents seem to know nothing.

danville 1K Sep 10, 2014 6:27 am

Originally Posted by chavala (Post 23503717)
Just got this with OLCI:

Los Angeles terminal information
General check-in at Los Angeles International (LAX) is located at Terminal 7. If you are eligible for Premier Access, please check in at Terminal 6. All United flights depart from Terminals 6 and 7.

As of September 24, 2014, Premier Access check-in will be relocated to Terminal 7. Effective October 27, 2014, all United flights will arrive at and depart from Terminals 7 and 8, and the United Club in Terminal 6 will close. Economy check-in will remain in Terminal 7, and the United Club in Terminal 7 will remain open.

Two things I'm wondering...
Does this mean they plan to open the new UC by Oct 27? Last month I was there and saw no signs of construction. Or will they just cram everyone into the already crowded club at T7?

Also, it says ALL flights will arv/dpt T7+8.
I've read some of the new MEL-LAX flights (the ones that arrive at 6:50AM), will arv TBIT -- is this still true? or are they now going to open immigration early? I extended my layover time because of this, but it would be nice to take an earlier flight home. All I have to go by is what I read on FT, because the agents seem to know nothing.

The new United Club is years away. Plan on being in the very crowded existing T7 facility for the foreseeable future.

chavala Sep 10, 2014 6:37 am

Originally Posted by danville 1K (Post 23503761)
The new United Club is years away. Plan on being in the very crowded existing T7 facility for the foreseeable future.

I sort of thought that would be the answer :(

mgcsinc Sep 10, 2014 7:58 am

The T6 gates are going to AA.

Sigh. I knew this was coming, but the T6 Premier check-in situation will be sorely missed.

rch4u Sep 10, 2014 8:01 am

Even more downsizing at LAX, and the reduction of the sUA 757 fleet = cram more folks into T7 and T8.

Can sCO 737s fit into the Terminal 8 gates? I know the Airbus can ...

steve64 Sep 10, 2014 8:35 am

Originally Posted by rch4u (Post 23504191)
Can sCO 737s fit into the Terminal 8 gates? I know the Airbus can ...

I think you meant to ask if the CRJ/ERJ series aircraft can park at T7 gates. :p
That will be the next step in downsizing LAX.

LAXOGG Sep 10, 2014 9:15 am

Losing the uncrowded premier check in at T6 will be a sad day. T7 will become very congested.

SS255 Sep 10, 2014 9:41 am

Originally Posted by LAXOGG (Post 23504589)
Losing the uncrowded premier check in at T6 will be a sad day. T7 will become very congested.

As will the walkway from T7 to the PreCheck line. I suppose for those of us who are not checking bags, it will be business as usual.

I use the more civilized T-6 security line when T-7 is jammed. I hope that UA passengers will still be allowed through security at T-6.

sinoflyer Sep 10, 2014 10:14 am

Maybe TSA will reopen the security area on the T8 side? IIRC, the check in desks on the far side of T7 are either underused or not used at all. Still, it looks like things will get crowded. Not looking forward to it.

cerealmarketer Sep 10, 2014 10:51 am

Guessing the Premier check-in area move has to do with the renovation and creation of a true Premier / Global Services area as part of the renovation.

But sounds like 2 or so years of construction...a lot of which will disrupt T7 / T8 because they are building a T8 specific security checkpoint.

The club situation will be unfortunate though given the already crowded state of that T7 club. But what emerges should be spectacular. A brand new United Club as well as Global Services lounge with views of the runways.