Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Confirmed] SYD going UA 3 Cabin 777 in 2014 [and other 747 route changes]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 17, 2013, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Bitterroot
Updates to Wiki as of 20 January 2014

Planned changes in aircraft by date and route:

SFO -- SYD: first 772 departs SFO 27 March; turns to 840 at SYD on 29 March

LAX -- SYD: first 772 departs LAX 29 March; turn off 840-29th.

NRT -- ORD: First 744 departs NRT 27 March (aircraft turn at ORD to PVG and FRA in succession the day following arrival from NRT)
ORD -- NRT: First 744 departs ORD 31 March

ORD -- PVG: First 744 departs ORD 28 March
PVG -- ORD: First 744 departs PVG 29 March

ORD -- FRA: First 744 departs ORD 29 March
FRA -- ORD: First 744 departs FRA 30 March

NRT -- SFO: 852 to operate with 772 27 March through 31 March inclusive (772 coming out of rotation)

Or, you can just go look at the good work here (note that info posted above differs from AIRLINEROUTE info dated 4 January 2014 and before):

http://airlineroute.net/2013/08/17/ua-s14update1/

Or, straight to the source if you want to do your own research:

http://www.oag.com/Global
Print Wikipost

[Confirmed] SYD going UA 3 Cabin 777 in 2014 [and other 747 route changes]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2013, 6:36 am

Programs: UA Gold, *A Gold, HH Dia, Hertz #1 5*
Originally Posted by unavaca
Meh, more like "we didn't know that the PMUA 744s were so disastrous; it's not even worth upgrading them." While the PMUA 777s are an improvement for Y, the real win would have been if the PMCO 777s had gotten the route instead. Bummer.
Agree. As much as I enjoyed the new GF hard product on HNL-IAH back in Jan (a J seat out and an F seat back in an upgraded pmUA 772 both out and back), other than a slightly more comfy seat cushion, I much prefer the pmCO 772 J cabin versus the pmUA equivalent. A lot more private feel to the seat, 2-2-2 versus 2-4-2, and more storage space with the shelf and power outlets over your shoulder.

I am being affected by this switch for UA 840 from a 744 to a 772. In April 14, I lost my 14B on the upper deck for the SYD-LAX flight. Now in 6J. Heading to NZ in J, UA 79 EWR-NRT, pmCO 772, then NZ 90 NRT-AKL, currently in J on their 772. Then NZ 123 AKL-MEL connecting to UA 840 MEL-SYD, spending 4 days in SYD.

Last edited by JerseySlime; Aug 21, 2013 at 6:47 am
Old Aug 25, 2013, 12:53 am

Programs: United 1MM
I haven't seen much discussion on this (specifically the # 210), but there will be 210 less seats per day by going from the 747 to the 777. That's 105 per flight.

This will make flights very crowded and prices will definitely increase. Can the market withstand this reduction? Or maybe UA will add a third service a few days per week to compensate for this. Perhaps at key peak travel times like when they used to have a MEL-LAX nonstop in addition to the two US departures from SYD.
Old Aug 25, 2013, 3:44 am

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, VA G
Originally Posted by briank1973
I haven't seen much discussion on this (specifically the # 210), but there will be 210 less seats per day by going from the 747 to the 777. That's 105 per flight.

This will make flights very crowded and prices will definitely increase. Can the market withstand this reduction? Or maybe UA will add a third service a few days per week to compensate for this. Perhaps at key peak travel times like when they used to have a MEL-LAX nonstop in addition to the two US departures from SYD.
During the offseason there is a total gluttony of supply to AUS from the USA on most days
(Fri-Sunday is still pretty full)
My personal hope is that this becomes a seasonal thing and they add in a 3rd service during the Peak season for Mel-sfo

I'm also really surprised that they haven't just flown over one of the PS birds to do the Syd-Mel flight
I've never seen more then 20 in j/f and 100 in y going either way on the flight
They could save a great deal on fuel and cycle costs doing the flight

I think the days of $1200 returns from Syd-iad are done for me though with this change
Old Aug 25, 2013, 6:05 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, QF, VA
Originally Posted by LordTentacle
During the offseason there is a total gluttony of supply to AUS from the USA on most days
(Fri-Sunday is still pretty full)
My personal hope is that this becomes a seasonal thing and they add in a 3rd service during the Peak season for Mel-sfo

I'm also really surprised that they haven't just flown over one of the PS birds to do the Syd-Mel flight
I've never seen more then 20 in j/f and 100 in y going either way on the flight
They could save a great deal on fuel and cycle costs doing the flight

I think the days of $1200 returns from Syd-iad are done for me though with this change
While I'm also hoping for a third service, I'm not sure we'll see it. I think UA will be happy for fares to increase.

Like you, I'm sure my cheap MEL-ORD returns are gone.

As for the SYD-MEL tag, I've seen that be empty like you describe, as well as being close to full. Not to mention it would be a waste to park a PS bird for 21 hours a day so you can fly two 439 mile flights.
Old Aug 25, 2013, 8:38 pm

Programs: United 1MM
Originally Posted by TomVexille
While I'm also hoping for a third service, I'm not sure we'll see it. I think UA will be happy for fares to increase.

Like you, I'm sure my cheap MEL-ORD returns are gone.

As for the SYD-MEL tag, I've seen that be empty like you describe, as well as being close to full. Not to mention it would be a waste to park a PS bird for 21 hours a day so you can fly two 439 mile flights.
I priced out a few fares in April for MEL-NYC and got AUD $1550 return. Not too bad though. I'm guessing the cheap $1200 flights will go to about $1500 or $1600. Hopefully not near $2000 for off-peak.

I think the reason they don't use a more fuel efficient, smaller place for SYD-MEL is that there's only 2 flights per day. That's low use of a jet, and they could make more money flying it more. Hence, they use less planes but more inefficiently.
Old Aug 25, 2013, 9:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by docbert
Based on gcmap.com, SFO-LHR or SFO-HKG are both within range of ETOPS 90 (ie, never more than 90 minutes from a suitable landing site).
While that's true if they fly the GC route the eastbound flights out of Asia often travel rather further south of Alaska than the ETOPS90 numbers allow for. The fleet is rated to 180 so they'll fly that if the winds make it a quicker flight, and it often is.

Here's an example of the southerly routing: http://flightaware.com/live/flight/U...330Z/VHHH/KSFO.

Originally Posted by flyerdude88
I was just googling some stuff about 747s and Australia and I came across this article.

http://www.ausbt.com.au/united-conti...an-747-service

Talk about broken promises, pretty sure progress on this is zero, guess they decided to wait for the a350s after all
They've installed the WiFi on half the 744s so far and the streaming media solution is due to be installed starting this winter. There was no promise of new seats, no promise of in-seat AVOD and no timeline given. They are upgrading the planes, even if they won't serve Australia any more.
Old Aug 25, 2013, 10:00 pm

I priced out a few fares in April for MEL-NYC and got AUD $1550 return. Not too bad though. I'm guessing the cheap $1200 flights will go to about $1500 or $1600. Hopefully not near $2000 for off-peak.

I think the reason they don't use a more fuel efficient, smaller place for SYD-MEL is that there's only 2 flights per day. That's low use of a jet, and they could make more money flying it more. Hence, they use less planes but more inefficiently.
I've been paying between $1400-$1500 the last few years for ORD, while VA and QF were asking anywhere from $1900-$3000. The fact being that we're losing over 200 seats a day from oz to the states, it can only become more expensive. If the prices stay stay in the $1500-1600 range I'll keep flying them, but if they want to go above $2000, I'll definitely be looking at NZ via AKL.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 5:35 am

It's too bad NZ couldn't run one of their dated 763's (barcoloungers in J) on a couple of Trans-Tasman loops (AKL-SYD-MEL-AKL-MEL-SYD-AKL). This would give all the *A pax that ability to get to and from those locations. UA could add a 3rd Trans-Pac flight (maybe a 788) either LAX or SFO to AKL.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 6:13 am

Originally Posted by JerseySlime
It's too bad NZ couldn't run one of their dated 763's (barcoloungers in J) on a couple of Trans-Tasman loops (AKL-SYD-MEL-AKL-MEL-SYD-AKL). This would give all the *A pax that ability to get to and from those locations. .
???

Most days (not all but most)
NZ has a flat bed 777 doing SYD->AKL and back
they also have a 767 with the recliners doing much the same

NZ is doing this to capture the premium traffic off virgin and QF as why pay $1k each way to fly in a domestic seat when you could be in a flat bed
(side note... for the 6am departure out of AKL the 777 flat bed makes it so nice to get in the extra nap before heading into sydney for a full day at work)

UA could add a 3rd Trans-Pac flight (maybe a 788) either LAX or SFO to AKL.
Ua made a deal with NZ eons ago to trade exclusive access to syd direct from the USA in trade for dropping ua direct flights to NZ
NZ previously having a SYD->SFO route from memory

Last edited by iluv2fly; Aug 26, 2013 at 6:20 am Reason: merge
Old Aug 26, 2013, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by LordTentacle
???

Most days (not all but most)
NZ has a flat bed 777 doing SYD->AKL and back
they also have a 767 with the recliners doing much the same

NZ is doing this to capture the premium traffic off virgin and QF as why pay $1k each way to fly in a domestic seat when you could be in a flat bed
(side note... for the 6am departure out of AKL the 777 flat bed makes it so nice to get in the extra nap before heading into sydney for a full day at work)

Ua made a deal with NZ eons ago to trade exclusive access to syd direct from the USA in trade for dropping ua direct flights to NZ
NZ previously having a SYD->SFO route from memory
I was just trying to get pax to/from MEL by utilizing NZ in a different way. I myself am flying AKL-SYD via MEL on NZ123 and UA840 next year on a J award. Couldn't even get a J seat AKL-MEL on NZ123. Spent 10USD to get into PE for the TT trip.

And that's part of the problem. UA and NZ may have that agreement, but when is the last time you saw a premium seat out of AKL to SFO/LAX on NZ? It seems the agreement has become one way in favor of NZ.

One thing I do miss with the merger is the ability to use my CO miles on QF to get on the old QF25/26 flights.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 7:57 am

It's too bad NZ couldn't run one of their dated 763's (barcoloungers in J) on a couple of Trans-Tasman loops (AKL-SYD-MEL-AKL-MEL-SYD-AKL). This would give all the *A pax that ability to get to and from those locations. UA could add a 3rd Trans-Pac flight (maybe a 788) either LAX or SFO to AKL.
I may be completely wrong, but I think NZ may actually have rights to do something like that (someone help me out here if I'm wrong). That being said, there's a minimum of at least one widebody a day (with lie-flats, 77E, 77W or 744) between AKL-BNE/SYD/MEL. MEL always gets either the 77E or 77W every morning as well as the odd extra 763 in the afternoon.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 10:00 am

UA could add a 3rd Trans-Pac flight (maybe a 788) either LAX or SFO to AKL.
IAH to AKL.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by LarkSFO
IAH to AKL.
Yeah...that route was a fallacy in the first place, not coming back now

SFO-AKL would be just about perfect though.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Yeah...that route was a fallacy in the first place, not coming back now

SFO-AKL would be just about perfect though.
Sfo-akl already has the single daily 747 service with NZ
It's IMHO already to much capacity on most days
If the sUA 767-300er had the range to do it I would say that it might work out ok as a route but still it would be a fight with NZ for the limited business on the route
Old Aug 27, 2013, 1:40 am

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Silver
SFO-LHR 777-200 changes October 2013

777-200 showing now for the following:

UA901 SFO-LHR from Saturday 5th to Monday 14th October.
UA900 LHR-SFO from Sunday 6th to Tuesday 15th October.

UA930/931 remains 747-400.

However, from Sunday 27th October UA900/901 vanishes and UA930/931 goes to a 777-200.

It might be UA website screwing with me as no fare classes are showing for these flights and it's overnight in the US, but would they really condense 2 x 747 flights into 1 x 777 during the winter, and even if they did, it seems crazy to kill off the earlier options in both directions?

The seat map for my UA900 has also changed to a 772 on the 8th October, so glad I checked as I had lost my seat reservations!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.