Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Confirmed] SYD going UA 3 Cabin 777 in 2014 [and other 747 route changes]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 17, 2013, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Bitterroot
Updates to Wiki as of 20 January 2014

Planned changes in aircraft by date and route:

SFO -- SYD: first 772 departs SFO 27 March; turns to 840 at SYD on 29 March

LAX -- SYD: first 772 departs LAX 29 March; turn off 840-29th.

NRT -- ORD: First 744 departs NRT 27 March (aircraft turn at ORD to PVG and FRA in succession the day following arrival from NRT)
ORD -- NRT: First 744 departs ORD 31 March

ORD -- PVG: First 744 departs ORD 28 March
PVG -- ORD: First 744 departs PVG 29 March

ORD -- FRA: First 744 departs ORD 29 March
FRA -- ORD: First 744 departs FRA 30 March

NRT -- SFO: 852 to operate with 772 27 March through 31 March inclusive (772 coming out of rotation)

Or, you can just go look at the good work here (note that info posted above differs from AIRLINEROUTE info dated 4 January 2014 and before):

http://airlineroute.net/2013/08/17/ua-s14update1/

Or, straight to the source if you want to do your own research:

http://www.oag.com/Global
Print Wikipost

[Confirmed] SYD going UA 3 Cabin 777 in 2014 [and other 747 route changes]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2014, 6:28 pm

Programs: United mileage Plus 1k and Million Miler, Krisflyer, Air New Zealand, Qantas, Virgin
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
Another feather in the cap of the new award chart! Just change it to hugely inflated rates for flying on a partner then cancel UA service to anywhere anyone would want to go so that we have no choice BUT to fly on partner metal.
If it ends up that way, it's a further incentive to simply fly paid Singapore or Air NZ flights on their point programs.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by djmp
I've seen 2 types of 772 biz seat arm rests - the swing-up type and the ones where the arm rest can be pushed down into the seat base. I'd like to know if the SYD flights consistently have one or the other. I've always preferred a window seat with the push-down type...
The aisles are all push down. Windows and middle cuddle seats I don't recall.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 10:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by syrahnose
Are you talking lie flat seats or something else? I flew biz first time this year in 777 on this route last week. Beds are harder and narrower and not full 180, lie flat compared to old 747 configuration. Personal space seems tighter as well. Comparatively, the old United 747 flat bed seats were shorter, more cramped than anything I had flown previously on Air NZ or Singapore or Emirates. It doesn't seem an upgrade in biz class, more a step back.
?
It's the same seat as the 744. Same cushion, true lie-flat. There is less personal space though. Considerably less space if you're comparing to the UD.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 10:44 pm

Programs: *A Junkie, SQ PPS, Skywards Gold, 2 Million Mile Flyer;*wood LT Plat, BA MM
Originally Posted by BlueZebra
CO used to do that route. Not sure when they ended it. SFO-HNL-AKL, back the same way, with a stop in Fiji.
How awesome. Maybe it changed to SFO later, but it shows first time in 1982

LAX-HNL-AKL
LAX-HNL-NAN-SYD

The good old days?
Old Apr 21, 2014, 2:09 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by UrbaneGent
How awesome. Maybe it changed to SFO later, but it shows first time in 1982

LAX-HNL-AKL
LAX-HNL-NAN-SYD
CO's advertising when they flew into SYD with DC10s (in the 1980s ?) was emphasising that they were good because of "competition". That only lasted a few months then they flew away - not to be seen again. That was really good for the QF and PA competition!
Old Apr 21, 2014, 2:56 am

Programs: United 1k
Originally Posted by og
CO's advertising when they flew into SYD with DC10s (in the 1980s ?) was emphasising that they were good because of "competition". That only lasted a few months then they flew away - not to be seen again. That was really good for the QF and PA competition!
I can remember when I was young I flew Continental from New York to Melbourne via:

Houston
San Francisco
Honolulu
Auckland
Sydney
Melbourne

It was meant to be Honolulu - Sydney non stop, but wasn't.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 7:40 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by Robert N
I can remember when I was young I flew Continental from New York to Melbourne via:

Houston
San Francisco
Honolulu
Auckland
Sydney
Melbourne

It was meant to be Honolulu - Sydney non stop, but wasn't.
Good times, and I remember in Auckland they would walk through the cabin spraying some decontaminating(?) aerosol. They still doing that in NZ? I haven't been there in ages...
Old Apr 21, 2014, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
This seems strange giving they are adding a melbourne flight in October, and the first 787 was originally scheduled for Auckland.
After a spat with the city of Houston over Southwest's plan to fly internationally from Hobby, UA didn't want to give the city the satisfaction of intrducing such a route. Never mind that the aircraft was not available for a while after the planned start of service. Instead, UA launched DEN-NRT service with the 787.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 6:17 pm

Programs: United mileage Plus 1k and Million Miler, Krisflyer, Air New Zealand, Qantas, Virgin
Originally Posted by Kacee
?
It's the same seat as the 744. Same cushion, true lie-flat. There is less personal space though. Considerably less space if you're comparing to the UD.
Guess I didn't remember how bad the 744 seats were comparatively.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 6:41 pm

Programs: UA 1MM; QF VA CI KL KE
Originally Posted by og
CO's advertising when they flew into SYD with DC10s (in the 1980s ?) ...
I flew CO 002 SYD - Guam - HNL - LAX on 23 Sep 1979 on the proud bird DC10.
Back CO 001 LAX-HNL-SYD on 10 Nov 1979.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 7:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Guess I didn't remember how bad the 744 seats were comparatively.
You may have just had a bad seat. While these seats have their issues (particularly the eight across issue), they're generally quite comfortable and match up well with other J seats just in terms of seat comfort. I did have one recently on a 744 where the cushion was completely shot.

If it didn't go completely flat, it was broken.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 6:39 pm

747s coming back to ORD

Booking a mid Nov flight PEK-ORD and the planes were 747s.

Is this a mistake or are the 747s no longer limited to SFO?
Old Sep 9, 2014, 6:41 pm

Programs: UA 2P, HH Gold
Haven't they been back in ORD for a while ?
Old Sep 9, 2014, 6:45 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
ORD-FRA is going back to the 777. Its interesting already how much the 747 sits on the ground here at ORD over night, now, it will do so even more with APAC only 747 flights.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 6:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SwisherTown
Booking a mid Nov flight PEK-ORD and the planes were 747s.

Is this a mistake or are the 747s no longer limited to SFO?
There are a few routes out of ORD with the 747. I believe what you are thinking is that SFO is sort of the 747 "hub" doing lots of flights to Asia and I believe it's also the maintenance base for the 747s.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.