Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a pmCO 777 (ver 2: 2-class 50BF)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 23, 2014, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: drewguy
This thread is for the pmCO version of 777-200. The pmCO planes are generally used out of the former Continental hubs, Houston and Newark, for various international destinations served from those airports.

There is a separate thread on the pmUA 777 here: Version 2

If you are looking for information about the new 777-200 with Polaris configuration, that is available here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1907390-777-200-version-5-polaris-77j-seating-experience.html

Because the seating configuration is different on the UA version of the 777, advice about the "best" seats on those is basically useless with respect to the pmCO version.

How can you tell from seat map which version you're on? Look at the seat map image below - if it's this, you're on the pmCO version.

Information from United (the pmCO plane is called "Version 32")

Information from Seat Guru.

The pmCO 777 is a two-class configuration.

There are 50 Business First seats in a 2-2-2 configuration. Seats are slightly angled, towards the windows for both window pairs, and angled to the right for the center pair. The seats are in 2 cabins, one in front of the 2L/2R doors typically used for boarding (26 seats) and one behind (24 seats). The seats are lie flat, and all face forward (although angled).

There are 63 Economy Plus seats, at the front of the economy cabin (Rows 16-22) plus the 3L/3R exit row (row 31/32). The remaining 154 seats are standard economy seats. The Economy configuration is 3-3-3, except for Row 44 which has only two seats on the two window groups.

BusinessFirst Seats
Best seats
Bulkhead Rows
Each BusinessFirst seat has a footwell that is built into the back of the seat in front of it. This allows the passenger to have a "full length" bed for sleeping. Many people report that this footwell is rather narrow and cramped, and can make sleeping difficult.
Row 1 (D/E and K/L), Row 2 (A/B) and Row 8 have larger footwells because the well is built into the bulkhead rather than the seat in front of it. As a result, there is no need to narrow the footwell to accommodate the reclining mechanism in the forward seat.

Bassinet available for 8AB, 8KL

Center section seats
The pair of seats in the center section both have direct aisle access, so there is no need to climb over another passenger, nor is there any need for the pairmate to climb over you.

Worst seats
1D/1E
1D is immediately adjacent to the front lavatory (and 1E a bit further away), creating disturbance and other annoyances from sitting next to a lavatory.

Economy Seats
Row 16 (bulkhead)
The bulkhead row has additional legroom. However, the tray tables and AVOD in the armrest narrow the seat width. These rows also allow bassinets (16DEF, 31DEF)

Row 32 (exit row)
Exit row has additional legroom but is next to the lavatories. The open space and lavs leads to congregation of standing passengers.
Print Wikipost

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a pmCO 777 (ver 2: 2-class 50BF)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2013, 3:34 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite, AA Platinum Pro, Hertz Presidents
Thanks everybody. I checked for GPU, and if I'm reading this chart correctly, I am not eligible due to my fare classes being L and S.
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...t.aspx#regions

Am I correct, it looks for these fare classes to Central Asia (which India falls into), GPU's may not be used.
Thanks for the suggestion though. I'll just stick to my E+ seats. Thanks for clarificatoin on that too.
Cheers
Old Oct 15, 2013, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by scottsam66
Thanks everybody. I checked for GPU, and if I'm reading this chart correctly, I am not eligible due to my fare classes being L and S.
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...t.aspx#regions

Am I correct, it looks for these fare classes to Central Asia (which India falls into), GPU's may not be used.
Thanks for the suggestion though. I'll just stick to my E+ seats. Thanks for clarificatoin on that too.
Cheers
You are correct - no GPU upgrade for that fare class.
Old Oct 15, 2013, 4:15 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by scottsam66
I checked for GPU, and if I'm reading this chart correctly, I am not eligible due to my fare classes being L and S.
Originally Posted by FLYMSY
You are correct - no GPU upgrade for that fare class.
But you can buy up using Miles and Ca$h @:-)
Old Oct 15, 2013, 4:40 pm

EWR->HKG

There's lots of talk about business here, but what is the best economy seat in this plane? Or just grap a random aisle away from the lav like I did?

I guess there's not a chance there will be any empty neighboring seat options in early-november on this. I kind of get the feeling a GPU is unlikely to upgrade on a w-fare, either.

Old Oct 27, 2013, 7:34 pm

I was fortunate enough to have some R space open up on an upcoming trip. I'm not sure if all PMCO 772s are configured the same, but we're on a 2-2-2 with 50 BF seats.

I'm traveling with another person, and we'd like to sit together in a window/aisle set that is most conducive to sleeping. Our options are 4AB, 4KL, 9KL, 10AB, 10KL, 10KL, 11AB, and 11KL.

We're currently booked in 10AB. I like the idea of Row 4, considering it's to the left of the boarding doors and possibly more private; however, I'm concerned about the proximity to the galley. Any thoughts on which of our options might be the best considering our preferences?

In sum, my query boils down to (1) are any of the options listed above clearly preferable and (2) is there any noticeable difference between Row 4 and Row 10?

Thank you.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 5:09 am

Originally Posted by Stud
I was fortunate enough to have some R space open up on an upcoming trip. I'm not sure if all PMCO 772s are configured the same, but we're on a 2-2-2 with 50 BF seats.

I'm traveling with another person, and we'd like to sit together in a window/aisle set that is most conducive to sleeping. Our options are 4AB, 4KL, 9KL, 10AB, 10KL, 10KL, 11AB, and 11KL.

We're currently booked in 10AB. I like the idea of Row 4, considering it's to the left of the boarding doors and possibly more private; however, I'm concerned about the proximity to the galley. Any thoughts on which of our options might be the best considering our preferences?

In sum, my query boils down to (1) are any of the options listed above clearly preferable and (2) is there any noticeable difference between Row 4 and Row 10?

Thank you.
Anyone have thoughts on this?
Old Oct 28, 2013, 5:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Stud
Anyone have thoughts on this?
If you're not in the (best) bulkhead rows, and if you're not in the (arguably worst) rows at the bach of each of the two cabins...not much difference.

Personally, I like to "turn left" when boarding, so I'd do 4.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 12:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K
For my sCO 777 flight tomorrow, I'm currently seated in 8E, with 1L, 2A, 2B, 8A, 8B, 8D, and 8L currently open (among many other seats... the flight was R8 when I last checked; it's a major festival in India this weekend). If I could guarantee that 2B would not get taken, I would take 2A for the window and very low engine noise at the very front of the aircraft, but I'll prioritize undisturbed sleep (so no B seats for this flight) and aisle access for the 16 hour flight. Anything else I should consider? I'll keep an eye on 2A/B as flight time approaches and might switch in if they're still vacant. On the other hand, if the aft BF cabin is emptier than the forward cabin, am I likely to experience better service there?

Thanks!
Old Nov 15, 2013, 12:40 am

What's the differences between 8DE and 1DE?
I currently have 8E reserved, but 1D and 1E are available.
(Overnight IAH-AMS flight)
edit: I just read the "worst seat" info in one of the first posts, so I guess I'll be better off with 8E

Last edited by 26point2orbust; Nov 15, 2013 at 12:46 am
Old Nov 15, 2013, 5:20 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by 26point2orbust
edit: I just read the "worst seat" info in one of the first posts, so I guess I'll be better off with 8E
That's correct, stick with 8E. 1D/E are immediately adjacent to the lavatory.
Old Nov 15, 2013, 7:34 am

2KL vs 4KL vs 8KL

Any thoughts on which of the following pairs is best for privacy/not being bothered by galley/lavatory light and foot traffic? 2KL vs 4KL vs 8KL? Thanks!
Old Dec 12, 2013, 12:27 am

It looks like the C class seats between the aisles are rotated a couple of degrees clockwise.
Which seat is best, 8D or 8E?

Last edited by 26point2orbust; Dec 12, 2013 at 12:38 am
Old Dec 18, 2013, 8:19 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Platinum)
777-200 EWR-TLV 32L vs. 16L?

Now that I finally reached gold (woohoo!) and can book my E+ seat for my EWR-TLV flight in a few weeks, I wanted to know of any veterans of this plane/route could help with a question about the 2 class 777-200.

I want a window because I really want to be able to sleep without being climbed over or jostled by people passing by. 16L (bulkhead between E+ and BF) and 32F (exit row) are both available.

I'm looking (in order from most important to least) for:

1) Enough room on front of the row for me to be able to get out without disturbing the other people in the row too much. I like going to the lav or just walking around the cabin to stretch my legs at least every 90-120 minutes when I'm not sleeping but I hate making bothering the rest of the row to get out. If my neighbor is sleeping and my only way out is to wake him up, I would feel very uncomfortable and would probably stay in as long as I could. So, the more room, the better.

2) I'd like to be away from babies, if possible. .bomb says that there are fixed bassinets at the middle bulkhead rows at 16 and 31, but is one row more likely than the other to have babies?

3) A properly aligned window would be nice. Seatguru says 32L has a misaligned window. Does anyone know how badly misaligned? Can you not see out of it without craning your neck?

4) I'd like the IFE screen to be within a reasonable distance of my face.

Is there anything I should be aware of like some sort of leg obstruction on front of 32L in the exit row (I've seen on some of these youtube trip reports that exit rows sometimes have these obstructions on front of the window)?

Any tips would be great. I probably should stress so much about this minor issue, but hey, I just got my gold status and I intend to use it to the best of my ability.
Old Dec 19, 2013, 12:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by sh76us
Now that I finally reached gold (woohoo!)

Congrats!

and can book my E+ seat for my EWR-TLV flight in a few weeks, I wanted to know of any veterans of this plane/route could help with a question about the 2 class 777-200.

I want a window because I really want to be able to sleep without being climbed over or jostled by people passing by. 16L (bulkhead between E+ and BF) and 32F (exit row) are both available.

I'm looking (in order from most important to least) for:

1) Enough room on front of the row for me to be able to get out without disturbing the other people in the row too much. I like going to the lav or just walking around the cabin to stretch my legs at least every 90-120 minutes when I'm not sleeping but I hate making bothering the rest of the row to get out. If my neighbor is sleeping and my only way out is to wake him up, I would feel very uncomfortable and would probably stay in as long as I could. So, the more room, the better.

In this case, 32 offers, in theory, unlimited room. However, because the seats are narrower, and you're more "stuck in" by the window, it's actually a little harder to get up. 16 isn't perfect as there's the bukhead, but unless you have 2 seatmates who are both really tall, you should be fine.

2) I'd like to be away from babies, if possible. .bomb says that there are fixed bassinets at the middle bulkhead rows at 16 and 31, but is one row more likely than the other to have babies?

No - they both have equal probability of having babies

3) A properly aligned window would be nice. Seatguru says 32L has a misaligned window. Does anyone know how badly misaligned? Can you not see out of it without craning your neck?

It's very hard to see out that window, though 16 isn't perfect either, it's better than 32

4) I'd like the IFE screen to be within a reasonable distance of my face.

They're both gonna be the same, as it comes out of the armrest in both cases

Is there anything I should be aware of like some sort of leg obstruction on front of 32L in the exit row (I've seen on some of these youtube trip reports that exit rows sometimes have these obstructions on front of the window)?

Any tips would be great. I probably should stress so much about this minor issue, but hey, I just got my gold status and I intend to use it to the best of my ability.
I've generally been quite happy with row 16 in general over row 32 - but I'm not too tall. If you're really tall, then you should definitely do 32.
Old Dec 19, 2013, 1:22 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Platinum)
Originally Posted by joshwex90
I've generally been quite happy with row 16 in general over row 32 - but I'm not too tall. If you're really tall, then you should definitely do 32.
Thanks!

I'm on the short side (5'7") and so I'm switching to 16. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.