Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a pmCO 777 (ver 2: 2-class 50BF)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 23, 2014, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: drewguy
This thread is for the pmCO version of 777-200. The pmCO planes are generally used out of the former Continental hubs, Houston and Newark, for various international destinations served from those airports.

There is a separate thread on the pmUA 777 here: Version 2

If you are looking for information about the new 777-200 with Polaris configuration, that is available here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1907390-777-200-version-5-polaris-77j-seating-experience.html

Because the seating configuration is different on the UA version of the 777, advice about the "best" seats on those is basically useless with respect to the pmCO version.

How can you tell from seat map which version you're on? Look at the seat map image below - if it's this, you're on the pmCO version.

Information from United (the pmCO plane is called "Version 32")

Information from Seat Guru.

The pmCO 777 is a two-class configuration.

There are 50 Business First seats in a 2-2-2 configuration. Seats are slightly angled, towards the windows for both window pairs, and angled to the right for the center pair. The seats are in 2 cabins, one in front of the 2L/2R doors typically used for boarding (26 seats) and one behind (24 seats). The seats are lie flat, and all face forward (although angled).

There are 63 Economy Plus seats, at the front of the economy cabin (Rows 16-22) plus the 3L/3R exit row (row 31/32). The remaining 154 seats are standard economy seats. The Economy configuration is 3-3-3, except for Row 44 which has only two seats on the two window groups.

BusinessFirst Seats
Best seats
Bulkhead Rows
Each BusinessFirst seat has a footwell that is built into the back of the seat in front of it. This allows the passenger to have a "full length" bed for sleeping. Many people report that this footwell is rather narrow and cramped, and can make sleeping difficult.
Row 1 (D/E and K/L), Row 2 (A/B) and Row 8 have larger footwells because the well is built into the bulkhead rather than the seat in front of it. As a result, there is no need to narrow the footwell to accommodate the reclining mechanism in the forward seat.

Bassinet available for 8AB, 8KL

Center section seats
The pair of seats in the center section both have direct aisle access, so there is no need to climb over another passenger, nor is there any need for the pairmate to climb over you.

Worst seats
1D/1E
1D is immediately adjacent to the front lavatory (and 1E a bit further away), creating disturbance and other annoyances from sitting next to a lavatory.

Economy Seats
Row 16 (bulkhead)
The bulkhead row has additional legroom. However, the tray tables and AVOD in the armrest narrow the seat width. These rows also allow bassinets (16DEF, 31DEF)

Row 32 (exit row)
Exit row has additional legroom but is next to the lavatories. The open space and lavs leads to congregation of standing passengers.
Print Wikipost

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a pmCO 777 (ver 2: 2-class 50BF)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2014, 11:11 am
smn

Flying tomorrow on IAH-AMS in C.

Wanted this group's opinion.

Looks lik 2B has opened up. Front cabin is pretty much booked up.

I'm currently in 9L. I typically prefer window (even if it means climbing over someone to get out). Right now 9k is empty, along with 2/3 of the 2nd C cabin (including 10/11 L&K).

How much better in 2B? Looks like with 18 open seats and no one on the UG list, it's likely the seat next to me will be open and with a relatively empty cabin.

Thoughts?
Old Mar 24, 2014, 6:47 pm

Programs: UA Gold, *A Gold, HH Dia, Hertz #1 5*
Originally Posted by smn
Flying tomorrow on IAH-AMS in C.

Wanted this group's opinion.

Looks lik 2B has opened up. Front cabin is pretty much booked up.

I'm currently in 9L. I typically prefer window (even if it means climbing over someone to get out). Right now 9k is empty, along with 2/3 of the 2nd C cabin (including 10/11 L&K).

How much better in 2B? Looks like with 18 open seats and no one on the UG list, it's likely the seat next to me will be open and with a relatively empty cabin.

Thoughts?
Much larger footwell, which is important if you're greater than 6 feet tall. Your neighbor may step over you during the night versus you doing the stepping over from 9L. You might get lucky with an empty 9K. YMMV. Your 9L is adjacent to the starboard engine, producing a bit more noise. Have those QC15's at the ready. I see 8E open right now. I consider it the best seat in the pmCO 772. Main negative of 2B - the sound of flushing and the possible smell of blue water directly in front of you, along with those waiting for the green VACANT sign in the door right next to your seat.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 3:01 pm

I switched to 1L after reading this ... hope it is the best seat on the plane

Originally Posted by o mikros
I'm also a window-seat-er, and in my opinion you have by far the best (passenger) seat on the plane. The only other potential competition is, as someone suggested, 8E, but I wouldn't recommend switching.
Old May 14, 2014, 6:23 pm

777-200 2 Class International - Business Class Cabin - Seat Help

Dear UA Experts,
I'm flying solo in business and selected seat 3B. I'm debating if I made the right decision to select aisle on left side of aircraft (pax in window seat would have to go over me) vs. aisle in middle section (assuming pax in middle section next to me would not have to go over me). Is my logic right and should I change to 1E or 11E which are the only two seats open? This would ensure I don't get disturbed by pax next to me that wants to cross over m. Help greatly appreciated. TIA.
Cheers.
Old May 14, 2014, 6:33 pm

Go back to row 11 and look past the cabin divider, if you see/hear no crying babies/children/adults of any kind in the first few rows, then go for 11E, otherwise stay in 3B and deal with the step over situation. 1E is next to the galley and all of the galley noise. 11E is a toss up depending on your neighbors in the first rows of E+.
Old May 31, 2014, 8:05 pm

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
8B vs 9E. Which would you choose for PEK-EWR?
Old May 31, 2014, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by LordHamster
8B vs 9E. Which would you choose for PEK-EWR?
I'd always go for the bulkhead in the PMCO planes (so here, row 8 or 1 for 2AB IIRC)...other footwells are just too tiny for me. YMMV. Even though the middle section is more ideal if a solo traveler.
Old May 31, 2014, 8:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a pmCO 777 (International)

For a flight of that length (and my height being compatible with the smaller footwell), I would go with the E seat for direct aisle access and no one jumping over me. If you're taller than about 5'9"-5'10", though, go with row 8.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 3:23 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K; Alaska MVP 75K; Hilton Honors Diamond; Hertz Pres Circle
How does it work in BF for Rows 8 - 11 in terms of meal choice? Does Row 8 give you a good chance of getting your first choice or do they start in Row 1, despite the fact that the back half is serviced by a separate crew?
Old Jul 25, 2014, 3:44 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by goldelite8
How does it work in BF for Rows 8 - 11 in terms of meal choice? Does Row 8 give you a good chance of getting your first choice or do they start in Row 1, despite the fact that the back half is serviced by a separate crew?
IME seems to be separate galley, separate allocation of meals.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 4:38 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
If done properly, GS and 1K pax will be asked for their choice first, then front to back, starting on A side.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 5:54 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K; Alaska MVP 75K; Hilton Honors Diamond; Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by EmailKid
If done properly, GS and 1K pax will be asked for their choice first, then front to back, starting on A side.
But when you say front to back -- you mean Row 8 to 11?
Old Jul 26, 2014, 5:40 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by goldelite8
But when you say front to back -- you mean Row 8 to 11?
Yes.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 8:03 am

United 777 Economy plus

Hello everyone,

I have a question about the best Y+ seat on a 2 class, old continental 777. I know this has been discussed in link, and I've done my best to read several other threads, but I was hoping someone could give me a bit of advice.

I'm trying to decide between 16 L (bulkhead) and 17 L. 17L has 35 inches of pitch, but what I like best if the arm rest retract, and right now the flight it empty. (IAH-NRT on 26 August)

However, if any of you have experience with the bulkhead can you give me some advice. What is the pitch of the bulkhead? I've read several different forums, and have read anywhere from 37 to 50 inches. Is trhere enough legroom to stretch out given that your feet can't go under the seat in front of you.

Also, in the bulkhead seat, how are the TV's? I know they are in the arm rest, but are they just as good as the seatback TV's?

So, given the fact I'm stuck back in Y on this trip, what would you choose? 16 or 17 ?

Thank you so much for your help and advice !

Old Aug 1, 2014, 8:20 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy BS, Hertz & Avis Pres
I've flown longhaul on pmCO 777s a couple of times and have sat in 16L each time. I think this is a no-brainer. Get 16L. I can't recommend it highly enough for a Y/Y+ seat - I've encouraged non-elite friends to pay the ~$150 surcharge to get E+ if the bulkhead is available on this flight.

Legroom is great. I sat in this row with a tall friend and he had no issues. Definitely room to stretch out. The TVs are not great, but I don't find the contrast and brightness to be much worse on the armrest-based screens than in other rows. Not having the row in front recline in to you, being able to get out to the restroom from the window without (badly) disturbing neighbors, ... lots of benefits. Frankly, the worst part of 16L is being so close to the BizFirst cabin makes you jealous.

Some photo searching may help you better decide. See these pictures of row 16, for example (note that if you are looking for UA 777 bulkhead pictures and see an exit door at the bulkhead, you are not seeing the pmCO 777 row 16 bulkhead):

- http://rkkwan.zenfolio.com/img/s1/v21/p591493060-5.jpg
- http://rkkwan.zenfolio.com/img/s3/v25/p543968711-4.jpg

Enjoy your trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.