Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a pmCO 777 (ver 2: 2-class 50BF)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 23, 2014, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: drewguy
This thread is for the pmCO version of 777-200. The pmCO planes are generally used out of the former Continental hubs, Houston and Newark, for various international destinations served from those airports.

There is a separate thread on the pmUA 777 here: Version 2

If you are looking for information about the new 777-200 with Polaris configuration, that is available here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1907390-777-200-version-5-polaris-77j-seating-experience.html

Because the seating configuration is different on the UA version of the 777, advice about the "best" seats on those is basically useless with respect to the pmCO version.

How can you tell from seat map which version you're on? Look at the seat map image below - if it's this, you're on the pmCO version.

Information from United (the pmCO plane is called "Version 32")

Information from Seat Guru.

The pmCO 777 is a two-class configuration.

There are 50 Business First seats in a 2-2-2 configuration. Seats are slightly angled, towards the windows for both window pairs, and angled to the right for the center pair. The seats are in 2 cabins, one in front of the 2L/2R doors typically used for boarding (26 seats) and one behind (24 seats). The seats are lie flat, and all face forward (although angled).

There are 63 Economy Plus seats, at the front of the economy cabin (Rows 16-22) plus the 3L/3R exit row (row 31/32). The remaining 154 seats are standard economy seats. The Economy configuration is 3-3-3, except for Row 44 which has only two seats on the two window groups.

BusinessFirst Seats
Best seats
Bulkhead Rows
Each BusinessFirst seat has a footwell that is built into the back of the seat in front of it. This allows the passenger to have a "full length" bed for sleeping. Many people report that this footwell is rather narrow and cramped, and can make sleeping difficult.
Row 1 (D/E and K/L), Row 2 (A/B) and Row 8 have larger footwells because the well is built into the bulkhead rather than the seat in front of it. As a result, there is no need to narrow the footwell to accommodate the reclining mechanism in the forward seat.

Bassinet available for 8AB, 8KL

Center section seats
The pair of seats in the center section both have direct aisle access, so there is no need to climb over another passenger, nor is there any need for the pairmate to climb over you.

Worst seats
1D/1E
1D is immediately adjacent to the front lavatory (and 1E a bit further away), creating disturbance and other annoyances from sitting next to a lavatory.

Economy Seats
Row 16 (bulkhead)
The bulkhead row has additional legroom. However, the tray tables and AVOD in the armrest narrow the seat width. These rows also allow bassinets (16DEF, 31DEF)

Row 32 (exit row)
Exit row has additional legroom but is next to the lavatories. The open space and lavs leads to congregation of standing passengers.
Print Wikipost

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a pmCO 777 (ver 2: 2-class 50BF)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2014, 3:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy BS, Hertz & Avis Pres
Originally Posted by Cody1484
Seat Pitch: The measure of legroom that refers to the space between a point on one seat and the same point on the seat in front of it.

Normally, seat pitch is calculated from seat back to seat back, correct? therefore, I'm curious to know the measurement of row 16, seat back to bulkhead wall.
Although I have stayed at a number of Holiday Inn Expresses in my life, I am not a good measurer of the distance from the seatback to bulkhead wall. For reference, I am 5'6" and can near-fully extend my legs while seated, with my feet flat on the bulkhead wall.

(Thanks, WineCountryUA, for moving this thread)
Old Sep 17, 2014, 11:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Any observations on 16A v 16L (already taken) vs 32A v 32L? The goal is balancing more personal space but avoiding the potential for smell/noise that might be a risk from row 32
Old Sep 21, 2014, 10:03 am

8B vs. center section BF seat 777-200?

Appreciate your expertise. Read through posts but don't see my question addressed directly. Traveling EWR-DEL. I am in 8B currently. Read through posts and see that row 8 offers the benefit of wider footwells which I appreciate. But 8B potentially has to deal with 8A passing over to get out of seat (I'm traveling alone). So, in your opinion, is it better to have a center section aisle seat where my seatmate has unobstructed aisle access or stick with 8B? I'm 6'0". Also, and maybe more importantly, is there light/noise disturbance in 8B from galley/lav? 9D or 10D or 10E are my other options right now. Thank you in advance.

Last edited by dander; Sep 21, 2014 at 11:39 am
Old Sep 21, 2014, 12:16 pm

Just booked through IAH on UA7 earlier this week. Was in 18L, swapped to 16L based on the recommendations in this thread. Good stuff
Old Sep 23, 2014, 8:07 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by dander
Appreciate your expertise. Read through posts but don't see my question addressed directly. Traveling EWR-DEL. I am in 8B currently. Read through posts and see that row 8 offers the benefit of wider footwells which I appreciate. But 8B potentially has to deal with 8A passing over to get out of seat (I'm traveling alone). So, in your opinion, is it better to have a center section aisle seat where my seatmate has unobstructed aisle access or stick with 8B? I'm 6'0". Also, and maybe more importantly, is there light/noise disturbance in 8B from galley/lav? 9D or 10D or 10E are my other options right now. Thank you in advance.
If traveling alone, I always take a middle section seat, all the other things (e.g. foot well, galley) are minor compared to not being molested!
Old Oct 1, 2014, 6:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Sat in 8K for the first time recently.

I must say, it is most unpleasant bulk seat due to the direct view of the galley in front of me. I don't find 8B this bad.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 8:11 am

I'm 8B all the way. It's my favorite business class seat in the United system. (My second choice is 1B on the pmCO 757-200.)

There is sometimes galley activity, but it's usually not bad.

I love the "easy on/easy off" access from the L2 door.

The "b" cabin just feels more comfortable and relaxed to me.

Although someone does have to climb over you to get to the bathroom, it just never seems to bother me. Also, the bathroom is quite close, so there is no guessing about its availability. Fortunately, there is a large vestibule between row 8 and the bathroom, so it's not noisy or smelly.

I got 8B for next month, and I'm very happy about this. My last pmCO flight was in 1K. It wasn't bad by any means, but I like 8B much better.

Agreed that 8K is far less preferable.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 2:22 pm

UA 727-700 Version 3 (50/217), how much legroom do E+ bulkhead seats 31D & 31F have?

Quick question about UA 727-700 Version 3 (50/217), Tokyo to Newark.

How much legroom do E+ bulkhead seats 31D & 31F have?

I tried searching "777" but the search function wouldn't let me search
short words like that. Pretty sure this topic has been discussed elsewhere
but I just can't seem to find it after 20 minutes of searching.

Thank you.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 2:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...rnational.html

Welcome to FlyerTalk. Put "777" in quotes next time and it will work as a search term, though the wiki sticky is a faster way to find reference docs.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 4:31 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
777-300 (or 200) I assume vs 727-700?
Old Oct 8, 2014, 8:33 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by A_Reed
Quick question about UA 727-700 Version 3 (50/217), Tokyo to Newark.
Originally Posted by fastair
777-300 (or 200) I assume vs 727-700?
No 727 or 777-300 in UA fleet @:-)

And 727 would not have range for a nonstop flight
Old Oct 16, 2014, 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by EmailKid
No 727 or 777-300 in UA fleet @:-)

And 727 would not have range for a nonstop flight

How much legroom is there for bulkhead window seat 16A? (for a tall 6-foot girl) Or is exit row window seat 32A a better choice? I assume the 777-200's exit door doesn't have a huge slide like the UA 747s?

Thanks!

This photo is from an old 2011 thread showing row 16. Does row 16 still look like that today?
Old Oct 16, 2014, 7:50 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by A_Reed
How much legroom is there for bulkhead window seat 16A? (for a tall 6-foot girl) Or is exit row window seat 32A a better choice? I assume the 777-200's exit door doesn't have a huge slide like the UA 747s?
Pretty much what it looks like today.

I think you'd be OK in aisle seat, but middle / window probably not quite get your legs straight, though almost.

And yes, basically same door as 747, but enough people book this seat so it's hard to get if you don't book way in advance. I like it, many / most don't.

I've mostly flown sUA 777s lately, and FAs like to park food carts right in front forcing you to move your legs for some time (and aren't very polite about it), and people congregate while waiting for bathroom, so there are drawbacks
Old Oct 18, 2014, 7:57 am

Originally Posted by EmailKid
Pretty much what it looks like today.

I think you'd be OK in aisle seat, but middle / window probably not quite get your legs straight, though almost.

And yes, basically same door as 747, but enough people book this seat so it's hard to get if you don't book way in advance. I like it, many / most don't.

I've mostly flown sUA 777s lately, and FAs like to park food carts right in front forcing you to move your legs for some time (and aren't very polite about it), and people congregate while waiting for bathroom, so there are drawbacks
Which of these E+ seats in red circles is the best?

16A
16J
31D
32C
32L

Thansk!

United 777, Tokyo to Newark
Old Oct 18, 2014, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
I'm a window/bulkhead guy, so I would take 16A. Had that seat before and liked it. Plus, I think that side is the non-sunny side on that route.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.