Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a pmCO 777 (ver 2: 2-class 50BF)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 23, 2014, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: drewguy
This thread is for the pmCO version of 777-200. The pmCO planes are generally used out of the former Continental hubs, Houston and Newark, for various international destinations served from those airports.

There is a separate thread on the pmUA 777 here: Version 2

If you are looking for information about the new 777-200 with Polaris configuration, that is available here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1907390-777-200-version-5-polaris-77j-seating-experience.html

Because the seating configuration is different on the UA version of the 777, advice about the "best" seats on those is basically useless with respect to the pmCO version.

How can you tell from seat map which version you're on? Look at the seat map image below - if it's this, you're on the pmCO version.

Information from United (the pmCO plane is called "Version 32")

Information from Seat Guru.

The pmCO 777 is a two-class configuration.

There are 50 Business First seats in a 2-2-2 configuration. Seats are slightly angled, towards the windows for both window pairs, and angled to the right for the center pair. The seats are in 2 cabins, one in front of the 2L/2R doors typically used for boarding (26 seats) and one behind (24 seats). The seats are lie flat, and all face forward (although angled).

There are 63 Economy Plus seats, at the front of the economy cabin (Rows 16-22) plus the 3L/3R exit row (row 31/32). The remaining 154 seats are standard economy seats. The Economy configuration is 3-3-3, except for Row 44 which has only two seats on the two window groups.

BusinessFirst Seats
Best seats
Bulkhead Rows
Each BusinessFirst seat has a footwell that is built into the back of the seat in front of it. This allows the passenger to have a "full length" bed for sleeping. Many people report that this footwell is rather narrow and cramped, and can make sleeping difficult.
Row 1 (D/E and K/L), Row 2 (A/B) and Row 8 have larger footwells because the well is built into the bulkhead rather than the seat in front of it. As a result, there is no need to narrow the footwell to accommodate the reclining mechanism in the forward seat.

Bassinet available for 8AB, 8KL

Center section seats
The pair of seats in the center section both have direct aisle access, so there is no need to climb over another passenger, nor is there any need for the pairmate to climb over you.

Worst seats
1D/1E
1D is immediately adjacent to the front lavatory (and 1E a bit further away), creating disturbance and other annoyances from sitting next to a lavatory.

Economy Seats
Row 16 (bulkhead)
The bulkhead row has additional legroom. However, the tray tables and AVOD in the armrest narrow the seat width. These rows also allow bassinets (16DEF, 31DEF)

Row 32 (exit row)
Exit row has additional legroom but is next to the lavatories. The open space and lavs leads to congregation of standing passengers.
Print Wikipost

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a pmCO 777 (ver 2: 2-class 50BF)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2014, 8:28 am

Thanks so much. Does the bulkhead row have Power outlets?
Old Aug 1, 2014, 8:33 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy BS, Hertz & Avis Pres
Originally Posted by Cody1484
Thanks so much. Does the bulkhead row have Power outlets?
It does. And they even work sometimes! The two green lights visible in this pic: http://rkkwan.zenfolio.com/img/s1/v21/p591493060-5.jpg, are the power outlets, FYI.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 8:35 am

Thanks. Im going with 16L then.

Does this flight normally go out full? Its over half empty now 26 days out.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 8:37 am

Which flight are you on? There are, through at least Sept., 2 daily 777 IAH-NRT flights. After (apx) Oct 1, this route goes to ~10x/week for the winter, with the UA1 (9a IAH departure) operated by a 787. Lots of ink spent on FT about this, search for "second IAH-NRT" or "UA1".
Old Aug 1, 2014, 8:41 am

Im on UA 7 from Iah - NRT on 27 August Ive only flown this route in C before and it was always full. This Time Im in Y and its empty.

Oops. I meant 26 August.

The reason i ask about the load is bc if i choose 17L and the row is empty the arm rest retract. But maybe its too risky to think the flight Will be that empty and I should just book 16L now...

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Aug 1, 2014 at 9:09 am Reason: Merge
Old Aug 1, 2014, 9:30 am

Programs: Star, Oneworld, Skymiles, SPG

I don't know if it is normally full, but I do know that the last week of August fares drop about $500 to Asia RT compared to the rest of August. Wish I did not have to go back to work that week!
Old Aug 1, 2014, 9:36 am

Im on UA 7 from Iah - NRT on 27 August Ive only flown this route in C before and it was always full. This Time Im in Y and its empty.

Oops. I meant 26 August.

The reason i ask about the load is bc if i choose 17L and the row is empty the arm rest retract. But maybe its too risky to think the flight Will be that empty and I should just book 16L now...
I've flown this route twice, once on a Friday IAH departure, once on a Saturday IAH departure. I am told those are two of the busier days. Each flight was ~90% full. I am flying on UA1 (the "new", earlier flight) on a Saturday in September and my seatmap (I know, not a good indicator of capacity or current booking load) is extremely empty and UA expert mode is showing Y9 ... K9. I'm hoping my miles+copay upgrade clears but have 16L in case it doesn't.

In planning for my trip, I have forgone most social interactions and have obsessively watched loads on the IAH-NRT flights for the past few months. My impression is that these flights seem to infrequently go out as empty as they look a month in advance, but that there are a number of fairly empty sailings from time to time. I have in fact seen a few of these flights go out with just 1 of 3 seats occupied in a row 16 or 17.

My strategy for these situations (just a data point for you), is to book my preference based on the "worst-case" scenario. I do this with domestic flights - I book a bulkhead window (my preference on a full flight) and then at the airport move to the exit row window if the entire exit row is open and my girlfriend and I can share the empty middle. I'm doing that on UA1 in September: we have row 16 window/isle and if the flight stays as empty as it looks now, I'll move her to row 17 or a nearby empty row (hopefully, a moot point as our upgrade will clear).
Old Aug 1, 2014, 9:37 am

Thanks so much for the info. So, UA 1 id changing to a 787, is UA 7 staying 777?

Thanks Again for the imput! Do, ill book 16L and then if row 17 is Still empty Ill move There so I can retract the arm rest and sleep!

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Aug 1, 2014 at 10:44 am Reason: Merge
Old Aug 1, 2014, 9:44 am

Thanks so much for the info. So, UA 1 id changing to a 787, is UA 7 staying 777?
Correct, UA7 remains daily, year-round 777 service. Some context (but take all the FT 2x daily IAH-NRT doom and gloom with a grain of salt):

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...e-iah-nrt.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...y-trouble.html

Last edited by NgatesSEA; Aug 1, 2014 at 9:55 am
Old Aug 1, 2014, 11:41 am

Hi Again ! I just paid for Y+ seat 16L. On the receipt it said seat 16 L (limited recline) 123 dollars. Nothing else I read said this seat had limited recline and that it would have 6inches of recline vs 5inches in normal Y. Can anyone confirm this, please!

Finally, last question! In row 16 JKL will There be one Power port for each seat or only 2 for the row of 3? Are There USB ports or only Power?

Again, thanks for all of your help!!
Old Aug 1, 2014, 12:00 pm

Hi Again ! I just paid for Y+ seat 16L. On the receipt it said seat 16 L (limited recline) 123 dollars. Nothing else I read said this seat had limited recline and that it would have 6inches of recline vs 5inches in normal Y. Can anyone confirm this, please!

Finally, last question! In row 16 JKL will There be one Power port for each seat or only 2 for the row of 3? Are There USB ports or only Power?

Again, thanks for all of your help!!
Cody1484 - Did this convo get moved? We are now in the wrong thread if you are on an IAH-NRT 777, which (I believe) is exclusively a pmCO 777, not a pmUA 77Q. {moved to correct thread - WineCountryUA }
On a pmCO 777, row 16 has full recline. I don't believe that any of the pmUA three-class 777s have a row 16.

E+ rows have 2 power ports for every three seats (see, e.g., the two green lights in that pic).

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 1, 2014 at 3:27 pm Reason: moved to correct thread
Old Aug 1, 2014, 3:00 pm

Yes, I think the thread was moved... Im on a PMCO aircraft!

Thanks for all of your help.

Do you have any idea what the actual pitch is for row 16? Im guessing between 35 and 40 ?!
Old Aug 1, 2014, 3:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Yes, I think the thread was moved... Im on a PMCO aircraft!

Thanks for all of your help.

Do you have any idea what the actual pitch is for row 16? Im guessing between 35 and 40 ?!
Pitch is not a measure that can be calculated for an individual row. Pitch is not legroom.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 3:16 pm

Seat Pitch: The measure of legroom that refers to the space between a point on one seat and the same point on the seat in front of it.

Normally, seat pitch is calculated from seat back to seat back, correct? therefore, I'm curious to know the measurement of row 16, seat back to bulkhead wall.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 3:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Normally, seat pitch is calculated from seat back to seat back, correct? therefore, I'm curious to know the measurement of row 16, seat back to bulkhead wall.
The distance from seat back to seat back is the same as seat front to seat front is the same as armrest-mount to armrest-mount. That is pitch.

The measure you seek, alas, is not pitch, nor do I think it's that useful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.