Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a pmCO 777 (ver 2: 2-class 50BF)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 23, 2014, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: drewguy
This thread is for the pmCO version of 777-200. The pmCO planes are generally used out of the former Continental hubs, Houston and Newark, for various international destinations served from those airports.

There is a separate thread on the pmUA 777 here: Version 2

If you are looking for information about the new 777-200 with Polaris configuration, that is available here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1907390-777-200-version-5-polaris-77j-seating-experience.html

Because the seating configuration is different on the UA version of the 777, advice about the "best" seats on those is basically useless with respect to the pmCO version.

How can you tell from seat map which version you're on? Look at the seat map image below - if it's this, you're on the pmCO version.

Information from United (the pmCO plane is called "Version 32")

Information from Seat Guru.

The pmCO 777 is a two-class configuration.

There are 50 Business First seats in a 2-2-2 configuration. Seats are slightly angled, towards the windows for both window pairs, and angled to the right for the center pair. The seats are in 2 cabins, one in front of the 2L/2R doors typically used for boarding (26 seats) and one behind (24 seats). The seats are lie flat, and all face forward (although angled).

There are 63 Economy Plus seats, at the front of the economy cabin (Rows 16-22) plus the 3L/3R exit row (row 31/32). The remaining 154 seats are standard economy seats. The Economy configuration is 3-3-3, except for Row 44 which has only two seats on the two window groups.

BusinessFirst Seats
Best seats
Bulkhead Rows
Each BusinessFirst seat has a footwell that is built into the back of the seat in front of it. This allows the passenger to have a "full length" bed for sleeping. Many people report that this footwell is rather narrow and cramped, and can make sleeping difficult.
Row 1 (D/E and K/L), Row 2 (A/B) and Row 8 have larger footwells because the well is built into the bulkhead rather than the seat in front of it. As a result, there is no need to narrow the footwell to accommodate the reclining mechanism in the forward seat.

Bassinet available for 8AB, 8KL

Center section seats
The pair of seats in the center section both have direct aisle access, so there is no need to climb over another passenger, nor is there any need for the pairmate to climb over you.

Worst seats
1D/1E
1D is immediately adjacent to the front lavatory (and 1E a bit further away), creating disturbance and other annoyances from sitting next to a lavatory.

Economy Seats
Row 16 (bulkhead)
The bulkhead row has additional legroom. However, the tray tables and AVOD in the armrest narrow the seat width. These rows also allow bassinets (16DEF, 31DEF)

Row 32 (exit row)
Exit row has additional legroom but is next to the lavatories. The open space and lavs leads to congregation of standing passengers.
Print Wikipost

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a pmCO 777 (ver 2: 2-class 50BF)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2013, 11:19 am

8G Bulkhead Biz Class NRT-IAH

Is this a good seat or should I look further back?
Old Sep 11, 2013, 11:45 am

Programs: AS MVP 100K, UA PremEx-MM
Originally Posted by bohaiboy
Is this a good seat or should I look further back?
It is a good seat in that it has the larger foot cutout. It is a bad seat in that is right behind the galley/restrooms (light/noise if that bothers you), and is in the rear cabin, so service could be slower.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 12:02 pm

Programs: OW Emerald
Originally Posted by Kurt
It is a good seat in that it has the larger foot cutout. It is a bad seat in that is right behind the galley/restrooms (light/noise if that bothers you), and is in the rear cabin, so service could be slower.
That's a good outline of the tradeoffs. IMO, depends on if you're taller and need the extra legroom given by the larger foot cutout vs the potential disruptions.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 2:44 pm

6'6" so yes it will help. Just booked the flt so the front cabin wasnt available. only 2 seats left in Biz.

Thanks all
Old Sep 18, 2013, 10:38 am

Programs: UA 1K
How is the lav disturbance level for those seated in 2A? I'm considering a window seat on my upcoming BOM-EWR (on the left side, for the potential view of NYC on approach), and almost every seat that I might want is still free (including all of row 8, 1L, and 2A). If 2A is significantly worse than 8E, I'll stick with the 8E that I have now. EF currently reports that 2B is blocked (I'm not sure if this is standard).

Thanks!
Old Sep 18, 2013, 10:52 am

Programs: kayaker
With the wife on UA128 GIG-IAH, and trying to figure out what is best for the two of us. I'm 6'1" so would appreciate a wider footwell, but my bigger concern is the light and noise from the galley while trying to get some sleep. Any thoughts on that? 1K is already taken so 1K/L is out; right now we're in 2K/L but every seat in rows 8-11 is open if we want to switch.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by o mikros
With the wife on UA128 GIG-IAH, and trying to figure out what is best for the two of us. I'm 6'1" so would appreciate a wider footwell, but my bigger concern is the light and noise from the galley while trying to get some sleep. Any thoughts on that? 1K is already taken so 1K/L is out; right now we're in 2K/L but every seat in rows 8-11 is open if we want to switch.
Row 8 is great. My top choice after 1KL.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 11:03 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
I'm traveling EWR-HKG with my wife and our 3 year old son (sounds like a joy, right?). We are currently seated in 8 E/K/L.

Are these the best seats for us or do you have any other recommendations? Ideally we would like the least noise and distractions possible in the hopes that he will sleep.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 11:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
My customary seat (1L) is taken on my upcoming EWR/NRT trips in both directions, so I selected 2A as a compromise - however, 2B is a blocked seat, probably for crew rest. Is it risky selecting 2A (risky in terms of being bumped out of it for crew reasons), or is it usually a secure selection with a periodic visit from a snoozing crew member?
Old Oct 13, 2013, 8:49 am

Switching from United to Continental on NRT/BKK

Some flights I have been thinking of booking in 2014 from BKK to NRT and return switched from the US 2-4-2 business to the Continental style 2-2-2 over the weekend. Are Continental 772 being switched onto the route, or are they changing over the United planes? Will it be switched back again?
Old Oct 15, 2013, 12:22 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite, AA Platinum Pro, Hertz Presidents
UA 48 E+ Question

Hello UA FTers
I am flying UA 48, and 49 in the coming months, EWR-BOM, and it lists the aircraft as 777-200. Any idea if it's a Version 1,2,3,or 4? I know that SeatGuru is often inaccurate and is in this case as well. None of their 777-200 maps, showed the configuration the United.com site showed. I was trying to determine what seats to buy into (E+). company won't spring for Business Class, and since I purchased a non-full fare, I can't use my DM miles to upgrade to Bus Class. I was hoping to view a seat map with some tips, on good seats, etc. I wound up purchasing in row 16 aisle both ways. United.com showed this as first row of E+. Did I make a good choice? They also had row 31,or 32 IIRC, which were in front of lav but appeared to have lots of legroom.
Any advice will be appreciated.
Also, I would have been willing to pony up double miles to upgrade into J class, but my ticket didn't allow me to do so. Maybe United should think about offering upgrades using miles from Star Alliance for all classes of tickets purchased. Charge more miles for those who purchased lesser fared tickets. Let UA come up with an equitable rate. I would have probably paid up to 60K (as opposed to the standard 30K) miles each way for the upgrades. Not looking forward to E+ for 16hrs.
Cheers
Old Oct 15, 2013, 12:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hilton Diamond, Costco
Originally Posted by scottsam66
Hello UA FTers
I am flying UA 48, and 49 in the coming months, EWR-BOM, and it lists the aircraft as 777-200. Any idea if it's a Version 1,2,3,or 4? I know that SeatGuru is often inaccurate and is in this case as well. None of their 777-200 maps, showed the configuration the United.com site showed. I was trying to determine what seats to buy into (E+). company won't spring for Business Class, and since I purchased a non-full fare, I can't use my DM miles to upgrade to Bus Class. I was hoping to view a seat map with some tips, on good seats, etc. I wound up purchasing in row 16 aisle both ways. United.com showed this as first row of E+. Did I make a good choice? They also had row 31,or 32 IIRC, which were in front of lav but appeared to have lots of legroom.
Any advice will be appreciated.
Also, I would have been willing to pony up double miles to upgrade into J class, but my ticket didn't allow me to do so. Maybe United should think about offering upgrades using miles from Star Alliance for all classes of tickets purchased. Charge more miles for those who purchased lesser fared tickets. Let UA come up with an equitable rate. I would have probably paid up to 60K (as opposed to the standard 30K) miles each way for the upgrades. Not looking forward to E+ for 16hrs.
Cheers
What is your fare basis. You might look to Coupon Connection to trade for an upgrade.
Old Oct 15, 2013, 12:36 pm

It will likely be the PMCO 772 configuration of 50J no First, sorry not sure which version Seatguru lists this as but it should not be hard to find.

Unfortunately UA doesn't make the *A upgrade rules, *A does. I don't know if any *A carriers have exceptions?
Old Oct 15, 2013, 1:00 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1K (2MM)
The reason they don't offer something like that, is for 60,000 miles each way you can actually just get a Business class award ticket.
Old Oct 15, 2013, 1:39 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
I am flying UA 48, and 49 in the coming months, EWR-BOM, and it lists the aircraft as 777-200. Any idea if it's a Version 1,2,3,or 4?
it is seatguru's verision 5

.... I wound up purchasing in row 16 aisle both ways. ...
good choice for leg space

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.