Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why Fly UA?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2013, 8:21 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
Most nonstops out of EWR. Far and away the most important. Unless everything else was miserable, it would be hard to make another choice.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 8:22 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, Avis 1st
1. E+ - I'm over 6' and even though I haven't had the best of luck with CPU's this year I'm 100% at getting E+ with only one middle seat and that was on IRROPS.
2. PreCheck at IAH and elsewhere
3. I have no desire to fly WN (even if they get Pre later this year) and Hobby is nowhere near as nice as IAH has become
4. Award availability- scored a great RT in LH First last fall
5. $$$- UA has been pretty competitive price-wise when I compare to WN on the routes I fly
6. Route network
7. Oh and the Dreamliner

Last edited by iahkid2014; Jun 12, 2013 at 8:30 am
Old Jun 12, 2013, 8:24 am

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
Why would you say "GF"??
Most airlines with 3 cabins have a MUCH better product then UA's GF
Would like to point out that UA F is Much better than Virgin Atlantic's Upper Class in the hard product - either Virgin's old or new seats! I guess it's a bit of semantics, as Virgin's three classes include premium economy.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 8:29 am

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Southwest A-List Preferred
1. It's my company's policy
2. Non-stop network from ORD
3. E+
4. Route network
Old Jun 12, 2013, 8:30 am

Programs: UA-1Kmm, AA-EX Plt mm-, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by 5khours
Been a lot of problems with UA recently, so I've been thinking why I still choose UA. And...

Great 1K phone agents almost always
There is no such think as a 1K desk anymore. It was replaced with a general purpose "Premier" line which is much less useful to help me than in years gone by. I never have a predictable experience on the Premier line. Sometimes it is great but more often than not it is frustrating to me.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 8:32 am

Programs: UA (lame duck)1K, US Plat,HHonors Diamond, PC Plat, SPG Plat, MR Platinum
As a UA 1k on segments who's putting a good amount of those segments to reach 1k thru *A and US I'm being faced with a decision as to try and do solely UA next year or go over to US/AA

So far the #1 reason I'm leaning toward trying to stay UA is the SDC without a fee. Whereas top tier on the US/AA charges and this would not be a fee my employer would cover.

I SDC prob 35%+ of my 130+ segments a year and it's usually based on convenience of getting home earlier etc. Major bummer to lose if I go US/AA.

I would add E+ as a second reason with both Award Availability and the *A network less pressing but valuable reasons.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Originally Posted by StingWest
Would like to point out that UA F is Much better than Virgin Atlantic's Upper Class in the hard product - either Virgin's old or new seats! I guess it's a bit of semantics, as Virgin's three classes include premium economy.
That and upper class is not F. Its a business class product. Apples and oranges.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 9:01 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by flyingnosh
For some of us, far and away the major factor is that we live near a UA hub where there's little competition. Just being able to fly non-stop to almost anywhere in the world beats all other reasons.
THIS!
Old Jun 12, 2013, 9:05 am

Programs: United MP
Why Fly UA?

I started flying UA because they were the only real option out of FSD. I continue to give them my business because their service is usually good and the planes are usually comfortable.

Lately I've been flying US (code share) and have been hugely disappointed. Uncomfortable planes. Poor quality staff.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 9:07 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by grizzly
Most nonstops out of EWR. Far and away the most important. Unless everything else was miserable, it would be hard to make another choice.
And this ...

As someone who flies a little over 50K miles every year, I don't have to deal with all the problems 1Ks and GS folks seem to encounter (SWUs, GPUs etc). Am happy when I get upgraded within US, love E+ when I fly international and thrilled when I can actually book C award tickets without too many problems for the 3 of us on international non-stop 15 hr flights.

What more can I ask for?

PS I am a HVF even though I fly only 50K+ miles a year. Can't remember the number of times I have paid $1500-$2000 fares on ERJs flights. I still take them for the convenience of a non-stop flight.

Last edited by pindi; Jun 12, 2013 at 1:49 pm
Old Jun 12, 2013, 9:15 am

I live near IAD (though closer and more convenient to DCA), and fly primarily to SFO, LAX, DEN, MCI, and internationally. Also to RDD maybe once a year. Don't see I have much choice.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 9:15 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
*a mainly (not that I travel a whole lot).

When it works, united's website I still think is the best for booking tickets and the multi-city search.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
E+
SDC
Award redemption value
The demon I know (UA) is less scary than the devils I don't know (AA, DL)

I flew US last night on a transcon and it was miserable in Y. Makes UA look decent at least for the moment.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 9:39 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Preferred, Hertz PC, Hyatt Discoverist , Marriott Titanium
1. Live 15 minutes from ORD
2. Network
3. E+
4. *A
5. GPUs and miles plus co-pay upgrades on intl flights
6. Viturally all long haul intl routes have lie-flats
7. All the benefits of 1K status
8. DTV

I originally picked UA over AA because of E+ and at 6'2" it is great to have. The rest is why I still fly UA and don't see a reason to change.

I've looked at AA and DL but they just don't offer the same set of benefits.

For example AA to southeast Asia... You would basically have to fly on a OneWorld partner so no chance of upgrades, or connect in Beijing or Shanghai, and very little E+.

DL has a good network to SE Asia but I would always have to connect in DL or MSP for almost any flight and also very little E+.

Last edited by JDS747; Jun 12, 2013 at 9:49 am
Old Jun 12, 2013, 9:54 am

Programs: UA 1k, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
Easy for me.

1. Live near the CLE hublet
2. E+
3. Was a CO flier prior to UA
4. Award availability
5. Network

Being 7' tall though E+ really made my choice for me. E+ for me is like E for a normal height person and E for me is quite literally impossible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.