Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why Fly UA?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2013, 12:21 pm

1. The main reason for me is UA's routes ex-PVG, and the arrival time in SFO/ORD/EWR allows for easy connection to almost everywhere in US. I do miss PVG-NRT that allows for intra-Asia travel.

2. The SWU is great, but it is always a struggle to pay the $2K+ W fare China-US. I have to convince myself each time it is worth it.

3. At least 100% EQM earnings on UA metal as AA only allows 50% even on its own metal with discount fares.

4. Credit cards with accumulated miles make it harder to switch.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by blackaspen
Award redemption, *A Network, and because I'm based in Denver. I don't want to take a connection to get anywhere I actually want to go.
Hope you enjoy those little planes.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 12:39 pm

Programs: VA Gold
Originally Posted by temecularedwing
1) Delta
2) US Airways
3) American (see 2)
4) Spirit
5) Southwest
6) Hawaiian
7) international carriers not allowed domestic routes
8) Airtran
9) Alaska
10) Frontier
11) Delta (sorry, already said that one)
.................................................. ...............
Have to agree with this one, esp. 7). But it's missing

12) Amtrak. Over 10 hours on the Coast Starlight between San Jose and Los Angeles. Impractically slow.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 12:54 pm

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I fly enough segments each year to quality as an AA EXP and a UA 1K. Since award redemption is critical to me, Delta is a non-starter. Both AA and UA have plus and minuses, and neither is so bad to cause me to walk away and neither is good enough to win all my business. So I keep flying both until one wins all my business or loses it. And I'm especially interested in keeping my 1K status as I evaluate the US-AA merger.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 1:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: US CP ; LH FTL ; *G
Originally Posted by flyerdude88
1. SDC is huge for me, it's allowed me to get home earlier from a trip on business travel and has also allowed me to extend vacation on personal travel (especially around holidays when I've booked a cheap fare for say Sunday of Memorial Day weekend and then been able to SDC it to Monday evening)...I fly DL enough to be silver and their 3 hour limitation is a killer
UA SDC is ab fab for GS and 1K. Not so great for lower tiers ( fees ).

Originally Posted by flyerdude88
3. Customer Facing Technology Interface: This might be a little more disputed but in my experience once I knew all the tricks and tips to navigate .bomb/mobile.bomb/.bombMobileApp, they actually provide much more information (fare classes, plane tracking, etc.) vs. the other majors, which can make a huge difference as often this information comes in handy during IRROPS when dealing with the 1K line (the flip side being the 1K line should have this knowledge without me force feeding it to them but that's another thread)
I said this many times and will say this again - UA has all around the best web product in the whole industry. You won't find any other airline offering the same functionality as UA. Unfortunately, only expert flyers can appreciate this, and its value is decimated anyway by the back-end systems that are not up to snuff.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 1:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by burlax
UA SDC is ab fab for GS and 1K. Not so great for lower tiers ( fees ).
SDC is fee-free for all Premiers except Silvers.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 1:21 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mgcsinc
SDC is fee-free for all Premiers except Silvers.
My point exactly. But GS and 1K = much better chance for upgrades for multi-SDC than 1P/2P ( priority + wider window ).
Old Jun 13, 2013, 1:32 pm

My point exactly. But GS and 1K = much better chance for upgrades for multi-SDC than 1P/2P ( priority + wider window ).
Huh? Then why did you have a parenthetical "( fees )"?

Priority definitely helps with SDCing, but it's hard to have a window advantage compared to Golds, unless you're SDCing to a series of flights more than 24 hours long.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 1:36 pm

Like many previous posters, I'm a hub captive (DCA and IAD), and with US being in the *A, at least in the short term, I don't really have much choice. I already do 100+ segs a year, so I'm not interested in making even more connections. SDC is a nice perk, too.

Aside from the above, I have zero loyalty to UA and may well match over to the new AA, assuming it isn't the biggest clusterf^ck in history, as the AA DCA-LAX nonstop would be perfect for me.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 1:47 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mgcsinc
Huh? Then why did you have a parenthetical "( fees )"?

Priority definitely helps with SDCing, but it's hard to have a window advantage compared to Golds, unless you're SDCing to a series of flights more than 24 hours long.
Was referring to SDC+SDC situation
Old Jun 13, 2013, 2:06 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by halls120
7. some of the best front-line employees on the ground and in the air.
Good one. That's a knee slapper.^
Old Jun 13, 2013, 2:08 pm

Was referring to SDC+SDC situation
Unless I'm misunderstanding what you mean, the SDC + SDC (+ SDC + SDC and so on) situation does not give rise to a difference between elite levels, other than Silvers. From Gold on up, there is no SDC fee, and SDC can be done as many times as desired. Because Golds and up have at least a 48-hour window, and because SDC can only be used at a given moment to push a flight up to 24 hours forward from that moment, there is no way to push a flight out of the Gold CPU window. Sure, you can do SDC again, but by the time you do, you're within the Gold (and Silver, for that matter) window again. I simply do not understand how Golds and Plats are disadvantaged in SDC other than by upgrade priority.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 3:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
Award Travel is the only reason. I generally fly 100+segments a year and must connect no matter what so DL, AA and UA are all in play. UA flies small planes mostly (for where I go) so I'm less inclined to fly them.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 3:56 pm

Programs: AA, UA
1) lowest price
2) best routing
3) best times
Old Jun 13, 2013, 4:41 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
1) IAH
2) IAH
3) IAH
4) E+ in theory; never had to use it, because ...
5) CPUs/M-B-ups (100%)
6) GPUs, especially gifting them to GM friends (100% success 2011-2013) and ability to use for LH F
7) Network
8) Global Services (helps with first part of #6 above, among other things)
9) GF (especially cheap buy-ups from C) and, as a result, GFL, *A F lounges and *A partner F lounges
10) Nostalgia for CO
11) MileagePlus generally (especially Saver frequently available)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.