Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why Fly UA?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2013, 3:42 am

Programs: AA EXP UA Gold QR Platinum Hilton Gold FB Sinbad
Sq oz lh tk lx

With my frequent trips to Europe I am able to accumulate enough miles for comfortable travel to Asia, over the pacific or atlantic..
Award availability and ability to combine one way awards .
I have received excellent customer service.
Miami which is my point of entry into the USA, the agents have become good friends and it is a pleasure to check into the UA counter (ex CO)
Access to Lounges worldwide: The TK lounge at IST is exceptional so are SQ lounges
Easy to use the website.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 4:38 am

Programs: UA, 1K 2MM
1. GPU and all the other ways to upgrade mostly successfully on my International flights
2. Companion status for Mrs. IainC
3. Annie in the Koru club (SYD)
4. Award availability
Old Jun 13, 2013, 4:39 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Based in SIN:

1. E+, the only other alternative with the same/bigger legroom is Y++ (premium economy) or C for other carriers, which costs 2x-5x more.
2. No YQ - after I paid $300 for one way SIN-ZRH award on SQ in Y, UA looks like bargain comparing to anything else.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 4:48 am

Programs: AA-PLT, HH-GLD, PP
I live in Colombia (Northern South America), so I tie a lot of COPA and Avianca flying to my UA trips. For me the reasons are:

1) CPU-eligible for flights Colombia-USA. About 90% UG rate. No CPU for AA even for EXP, so I would always ride in the back of the bus.

2) 3 X 70 lbs. luggage - I always haul a lot of stuff back for the family.

3) PLT level - I cannot guarantee hitting 100K miles every year. The downgrade from 1K to PLT is minimal. On AA, I would take a major hit.

4) E+ - makes not getting UG much more bearable.

5) AA will always land me in MIA, which means immigration/baggage claim/customs/recheck/security while trying to make a connection for almost every trip.

That said, I have had good experiences with US and AA, so I will re-evaluate once I see how the merger shakes out.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 5:19 am

Programs: UA 1K, Delta Plat, AA Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Courtesy Card
1. E+
2. Award Travel
3. Award Travel
4 - 100. Award Travel
Old Jun 13, 2013, 5:25 am

Programs: UA nada, Hyatt Disc, Hilton Gold
1) E+. Living in YYT, I could fly Air Canada and book miles to UA, but at 6' 2" E+ is a winner for me. Even when flying to Europe, I would rather take a long connection and spend the day in a lounge at EWR working on my laptop than fold myself into a plain Y seat on Air Canada.
2) International award redemption. I have done only a couple of aspirational-type redemptions for the wife and I, but the ease of finding the availability I wanted (even in premium booking classes) makes UA and MileagePlus a very attractive place to bank miles.
3) IAH. When not on work assignment in Canada, IAH is home. Similar to others, the amount of non-stops UA offers can't be matched by anyone else.
4) The occasional CPU is nice. I'm going to try and move up to Plat this year, but I don't do enough domestic flying for this to be a huge benefit for me.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 5:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by coolcoil

5) AA will always land me in MIA, which means immigration/baggage claim/customs/recheck/security while trying to make a connection for almost every trip.
And UA will always land you in IAH which means immigration/baggage claim/customs/recheck/security while trying to make a connection for almost every trip.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 6:02 am

Programs: UA Plat, HH Diamond, MR Gold, Hertz Prez Circle
1. E+
2. Award travel
3. Familiarity. When things go wrong, I understand how it works.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 7:31 am

Programs: AA-PLT, HH-GLD, PP
Originally Posted by halls120
And UA will always land you in IAH which means immigration/baggage claim/customs/recheck/security while trying to make a connection for almost every trip.
UA also goes into EWR from Colombia. I also fly a lot of MDE-PTY-EWR (first leg COPA, second leg UA).

When you include all-COPA metal (which, since they use the MP program, is like flying UA for purposes of this discussion) you add about 7 more US destination cities. Transiting in PTY is easy - just like in a USA domestic airport, except you get lounge access.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 9:09 am

Programs: DL, UA, SPG, HH
1. Award redemptions - specifically being able to redeem on *A including flying AC to Asia via YYZ, much better to clear CBP there than at NYC airports
2. E+
3. EWR - nicest United terminal between EWR, LGA and JFK; also moving to the Jerz with Mrs. CT soon
4. Jeff Smisek - before you flame me... he's an easily disliked person to blame all my air travel woes on. For example:

CT: There was this annoying obese woman chattering away across the aisle from me!
Mrs. CT: Really?
CT: Yeah and she had bad BO. I bet you Smisek put her there to keep us overentitled GMs in line.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
A really good price on Kayak.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 11:01 am
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
1. EWR+NYC - most number of nonstops (frequencies and destinations) out of NYC. Allows me to avoid LGA.
2. award seats - being able to online search+book international J/F seats on partners is seamless and rewarding. Trying to use AA to book CX F/J is like pulling teeth.
3. new planes - really despise the ancient MD80s
4. massive Asian network - nonstop choices from SFO/LAX/ORD/IAD/EWR that allow NRT bypass.
5. flies to HKG, SE Asia, Australia, Africa, Middle East and India - other than PHL-TLV, the new US/AA does none of that.
6. Lack of fuel surcharge on award seats - AA's entire European strategy involves LHR, which has UK APD or BA YQ, or both. On top of that, painful terminal transfer at LHR T3/T5 versus seamless connections at FRA and MUC.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 11:31 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
It's the routes ...

I fly out of EWR and United goes everywhere I have customers. (A domestic air warrior):

Houston
San Francisco
Tampa
Chicago
Atlanta
Boston
Colorado Springs
Dallas
Las Vegas
+ lots of other 'less common' trips ...

4) The staff. United always takes excellent care of me. I never worry about being stranded.
3) Economy Plus
4) EUA
5) did I mention the staff? I know United's always going to get me home.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 11:37 am

Programs: MileagePlus Gold
Award redemption, *A Network, and because I'm based in Denver. I don't want to take a connection to get anywhere I actually want to go.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 12:12 pm

Programs: UA1K - SPG Plat
as a 1K:

1. SDC - i use this all the time
2. E+ - i can count on one hand the number of times i have not been in E+ if i have been in coach - and that includes all the SDC i make
3. Upgrade percentage - YMMV but i seem to have done very well over the years
4. RPUs/GPUs - i have many family members who have come to expect F/J since i always seem able to redeem RPUs/GPUs for them in the past - i have never had an issue using one
5. Award availability - it just cant be beat
6. *G and the *Alliance - for the most part, although i am starting to get cranky about all the fare classes that do NOT earn miles on *Alliance carriers...

the grass isnt any greener at DL and AA. both have pros and cons. i started with AS many moons ago (when i was a pacific NWer), went to NW, and then moved to UA in 2005 (based on moving to Chicago). i have since lived in DC and NYC, and have to say i am very happy with my relationship with UA!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.