Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Some Paid Upgrades Count Towards PQD & mileage bonus and some DON'T!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 8, 2015, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
One of the more confusing aspects of cash upgrades is "does this upgrade get premium cabin mileage bonus and is the fee included in PQD?"

The best assumption is no bonus and fee is not included in PQD but there are some cases where there will be a premium cabin bonus and amount will count toward PQD.

There are multiple cash upgrade paths and different ones are offered at different times (and can be quite hard to separate).

The key is what is the new fare basis after the upgrade. Note R, RN, P, PN, ZN, ON, A and others have been reported.
  • Many of the upgrade offers results in R/PN/ZN fare class (and post as Zx) -- so like a regular upgrade the mileage posting is based on the original fare class. The upgrade fee does not earn PQDs.
  • Others bump the fare basis to a -UP fare which reports as a P/Z/A fare class, these are now earning PQMs at the up-fared fare class and the up-fare costs earns PQDs.
  • And others book into a true P/Z/A fare basis and will earn the PQM bonus and the up-fare cost will earn PQDs.

The following are generally not eligible for PQD or bonus:
  • Pop-up upgrade immediately following purchase on united.com
  • Last minute upgrade at check-in
Generally these will be priced as $xx9 (ending in 9 dollars) and reflected on the receipt as
Additional Charges:
Date/CreditCard XXXX was charged xxx USD for the Merchandising / EDD
xxx USD for: Premium Cabin Upgrade
However the offer, in "My Reservations" via the cash method tab "Buy Up to First" under "View {Upgrade} Options" is likely to be eligible for PQDs & PQM bonus.
**** Due to UA changes in May 2018, this statement may not be relieable ****
**** This now appears to be an Upgrade Fee (no PQDs) and may book into Upgrade fare class (no extra PQMs) or into a mileage earning bonus fare class (PQMs earning). Unclear if that is a way to tell which will happen ****

Generally these will be reflected on the receipt as
Add Collect: An additional amount for the difference in fare was charged to {card} on {date}. $yyy USD per ticket for an additional total of $yyy USD was collected.
Notice the words "generally" and "likely" -- those are weasel words to protect the wiki author because of the lack of transparency in this system
For instance, some time of checkin paid upgrades that book into P, will earn PQM bonus but not earn PQDs.
Checking the actual fare basis during booking when you are given access (or using the Saudi site) is key in understanding the outcome.

UA Insider commented on this a while back, but there has been no improvement in the confusion / clarity in the meantime.
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi Everyone,

I’ve done a little bit of research on this, and I wanted to share some background on the scenario vandrei shared.

At a high level, and as a some of you have noticed more recently in the thread, the buy-up offer we sometimes present immediately upon booking an economy ticket is indeed distinct from the one presented when viewing a reservation in My Account at some point after the flight has been ticketed and confirmed. For example, the offer at booking enables customers to the flexibility to confirm an upgraded seat on a segment-by-segment basis, whereas the one in My Reservations is based on the line of flight.

Additionally, from a functional perspective, the offer immediately upon booking does not change the underlying fare basis for the original purchased fare (even though the visible fare class is reflective of the buy-up inventory), whereas the one in My Reservations results in a complete re-issue of the existing ticket. It is this aspect of the functionality which drives mileage accrual, which is based on the original purchased fare for the offer immediately after booking, but based on the new fare class for the offer in My Reservations. These policies are disclosed in each offer’s respective (and indeed, different) terms and conditions.

Longer-term, the vision is indeed to align mileage accrual policies between the two types of offers. In the meantime, the tradeoff between the two offers continues to be one of additional miles vs. the flexibility to confirm on a segment-by-segment basis.

Aaron Goldberg
Sr. Manager - Customer Experience Planning
United Airlines
Print Wikipost

Some Paid Upgrades Count Towards PQD & mileage bonus and some DON'T!

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2013, 7:29 pm
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Ari
The OP admitted s/he didn't remember the exact details of the offer. "Immideately after booking" implies the pop-up window. The terms in the pop-up window are clear.
You're relying on what you think the OP "admitted" and what that "implies," but if the OP had bought it from the pop-up, it would have booked into PN, not P, and the OP's reservations clearly showed P.

Longer-term, the vision is indeed to align mileage accrual policies between the two types of offers. In the meantime, the tradeoff between the two offers continues to be one of additional miles vs. the flexibility to confirm on a segment-by-segment basis.
But short term, when the booking code changes to P, rather than PN, that should award the extra EQMs, shouldn't it?
It seems that the phone agents the OP called do not even know about the 2 options and the "tradeoff" choice, but instead are reading from a script that uniformly denies all bonus miles to both upsells and upgrades, regardless of which type of offer is purchased.
Old May 3, 2013, 7:34 pm

Hi Everyone,

I’ve done a little bit of research on this, and I wanted to share some background on the scenario vandrei shared.

At a high level, and as a some of you have noticed more recently in the thread, the buy-up offer we sometimes present immediately upon booking an economy ticket is indeed distinct from the one presented when viewing a reservation in My Account at some point after the flight has been ticketed and confirmed. For example, the offer at booking enables customers to the flexibility to confirm an upgraded seat on a segment-by-segment basis, whereas the one in My Reservations is based on the line of flight.

Additionally, from a functional perspective, the offer immediately upon booking does not change the underlying fare basis for the original purchased fare (even though the visible fare class is reflective of the buy-up inventory), whereas the one in My Reservations results in a complete re-issue of the existing ticket. It is this aspect of the functionality which drives mileage accrual, which is based on the original purchased fare for the offer immediately after booking, but based on the new fare class for the offer in My Reservations. These policies are disclosed in each offer’s respective (and indeed, different) terms and conditions.

Aaron Goldberg
United Airlines
Thanks for the explanation -- I think it would be beneficial for the general public AND the agents to have an aligned mileage accrual policies as soon as possible just to eliminate even more confusion (and frustration) down the line.
Old May 3, 2013, 7:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Hi Everyone,

Aaron Goldberg
United Airlines
READ: eventually we will eliminate any opportunity of earning bonus miles
Old May 3, 2013, 8:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, VX Gold, AA PLT, DL Gold, MR Gold, HH Diamond, Hertz 5* Gold
Originally Posted by EsquireFlyer
You're relying on what you think the OP "admitted" and what that "implies," but if the OP had bought it from the pop-up, it would have booked into PN, not P, and the OP's reservations clearly showed P.
See below for a snippet of the itinerary and receipt e-mail that I received from UA for IAD-SFO. The one for my reservation IAD-SLC is similar. When I called the Premier Desk, the agent looked at both reservations and confirmed that I was booked in P class on both reservations.

Old May 3, 2013, 8:02 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ACVBear
That's what I took home, but we'll see.

Originally Posted by EsquireFlyer
That isn't always the case.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; May 3, 2013 at 8:28 pm Reason: merge
Old May 4, 2013, 3:23 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
I respect Aaron being the messenger. I think this will get resolved at some point, but in the present and probably rest of this year, I think we have to resign ourselves to thinking of the two separate offers. What is interesting is what is the offer price at booking and then what is it after it has been pulled up from my reservations?
Old May 4, 2013, 9:50 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Aaron,
Thanks for the explanation, it certainly clears a lot up. But with FTers being a small part of your customer base, it seems very illogical to use the same fare bucket for both transactions. With all of the buckets available to you, including UPs, it looks like customers (along with phone/ticket/gate/CS agents) will continue to be very confused and frustrated. It's hard enough to get the employees to understand the myriad of rules and policies to date without having to say "Well a P would NORMALLY earn this, but in your case it only earns this."
Old Jun 11, 2013, 2:25 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K, Marriott Platinum, Frontier, Delta, Hertz Gold, National Emerald Club
This is a really useful thread! Helped tremendously.

I did know the difference between the "pop-up paid upgrade" offer and the "buy up from the reservations screen" offer before reading here.

I will say, that I've done the buy up offer (not the paid upgrade) twice now, and once it worked automatically (the extra PQM, etc), and the other time, it did not, and I emailed MP and had it fixed after about 3 rounds of emails.

ADVICE: Do NOT mention "Buy-Up" to the CS rep. That resulted in 2 of 3 saying "you get the original fare class PQM" without investigation. They apparently confused the Buy-Up with a Paid Upgrade.

The key was the new ticket number, showing that it was a buy up, and not a paid upgrade. Luckily, I actually did buy up to a fare class that earned extra PQM (I too derive extra value here from extra PQM). I suppose it is completely possible to buy up to M for a 1K, and of course earn M PQM.

I've done a 3rd buy up, and I'll take that flight in a couple of weeks and report how it goes.

It DID reissue the ticket, the new fare basis (thanks Saudi airlines, I didn't check the "terms and conditions link" before I bought the buy up) is "V2UP14N3", which should be a fare basis that gets me the extra PQM, etc.

Also the UA fare class is P, not PN, so I think I'm in good shape.

FINAL NOTE: Even after the buy up and downloading the PDF receipt for that action, my original ticket receipt did not change in any way. Showed the old ticket number, fare classes, everything, when accessed from My Reservations. I would have expected it to update, to reflect the new information from the buy-up process (amount paid, etc).

It DID update to the new information only after I did a “Add E-mail Address and Request Receipt” action. Just FYI for folks on what I've seen after doing a buy up.

Enjoy your upgrades!
Old Jun 12, 2013, 2:37 am

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by ACVBear
That's the way I interpret it too.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 12:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Bonus miles for buy up to F?

I know that this has been answered before, and I'm pretty sure that the answer is "no", but a search did not turn up the thread I was hoping for...

If an offer to buy-up to F is accepted, does the reservation re-ticket into a higher fare class that earns bonus PQM/RDM?

Thanks very much -- Mods, please feel free to merge with the appropriate thread!
Old Jun 27, 2013, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Depends on class you're buying up to. Last month I did an offered buy-up, went from W to M (showed as ZM), which is (for some elites) an instant-up w/ no class bonus.

Now that you brought it up, I should've looked at $ diff between M and a class higher.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Jun 27, 2013 at 12:22 pm
Old Jun 27, 2013, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Depends on class you're buying up to. Last month I did an offered buy-up, went from W to M, which is (for elites) an instant-up w/ no class bonus.
M only for 1K and GS. Plat, Gold Silver don't get instant up on M fares only Y and B.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Baze
M only for 1K and GS. Plat, Gold Silver don't get instant up on M fares only Y and B.
I was editing my reply as you were posting response.. I knew someone was gonna catch it
Old Jun 27, 2013, 12:26 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Do TOD buy-ups get booked into full F? Really? I assumed it would be "R" class, with the originally purchased class determining miles earned.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 12:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Hmmm.. Ok -- does the website tell you what class you're buying up to? I'm currently booked in E, and see a buy up for $63.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.