Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Some Paid Upgrades Count Towards PQD & mileage bonus and some DON'T!

Old Apr 8, 2015, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
One of the more confusing aspects of cash upgrades is "does this upgrade get premium cabin mileage bonus and is the fee included in PQD?"

The best assumption is no bonus and fee is not included in PQD but there are some cases where there will be a premium cabin bonus and amount will count toward PQD.

There are multiple cash upgrade paths and different ones are offered at different times (and can be quite hard to separate).

The key is what is the new fare basis after the upgrade. Note R, RN, P, PN, ZN, ON, A and others have been reported.
  • Many of the upgrade offers results in R/PN/ZN fare class (and post as Zx) -- so like a regular upgrade the mileage posting is based on the original fare class. The upgrade fee does not earn PQDs.
  • Others bump the fare basis to a -UP fare which reports as a P/Z/A fare class, these are now earning PQMs at the up-fared fare class and the up-fare costs earns PQDs.
  • And others book into a true P/Z/A fare basis and will earn the PQM bonus and the up-fare cost will earn PQDs.

The following are generally not eligible for PQD or bonus:
  • Pop-up upgrade immediately following purchase on united.com
  • Last minute upgrade at check-in
Generally these will be priced as $xx9 (ending in 9 dollars) and reflected on the receipt as
Additional Charges:
Date/CreditCard XXXX was charged xxx USD for the Merchandising / EDD
xxx USD for: Premium Cabin Upgrade
However the offer, in "My Reservations" via the cash method tab "Buy Up to First" under "View {Upgrade} Options" is likely to be eligible for PQDs & PQM bonus.
**** Due to UA changes in May 2018, this statement may not be relieable ****
**** This now appears to be an Upgrade Fee (no PQDs) and may book into Upgrade fare class (no extra PQMs) or into a mileage earning bonus fare class (PQMs earning). Unclear if that is a way to tell which will happen ****

Generally these will be reflected on the receipt as
Add Collect: An additional amount for the difference in fare was charged to {card} on {date}. $yyy USD per ticket for an additional total of $yyy USD was collected.
Notice the words "generally" and "likely" -- those are weasel words to protect the wiki author because of the lack of transparency in this system
For instance, some time of checkin paid upgrades that book into P, will earn PQM bonus but not earn PQDs.
Checking the actual fare basis during booking when you are given access (or using the Saudi site) is key in understanding the outcome.

UA Insider commented on this a while back, but there has been no improvement in the confusion / clarity in the meantime.
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi Everyone,

I’ve done a little bit of research on this, and I wanted to share some background on the scenario vandrei shared.

At a high level, and as a some of you have noticed more recently in the thread, the buy-up offer we sometimes present immediately upon booking an economy ticket is indeed distinct from the one presented when viewing a reservation in My Account at some point after the flight has been ticketed and confirmed. For example, the offer at booking enables customers to the flexibility to confirm an upgraded seat on a segment-by-segment basis, whereas the one in My Reservations is based on the line of flight.

Additionally, from a functional perspective, the offer immediately upon booking does not change the underlying fare basis for the original purchased fare (even though the visible fare class is reflective of the buy-up inventory), whereas the one in My Reservations results in a complete re-issue of the existing ticket. It is this aspect of the functionality which drives mileage accrual, which is based on the original purchased fare for the offer immediately after booking, but based on the new fare class for the offer in My Reservations. These policies are disclosed in each offer’s respective (and indeed, different) terms and conditions.

Longer-term, the vision is indeed to align mileage accrual policies between the two types of offers. In the meantime, the tradeoff between the two offers continues to be one of additional miles vs. the flexibility to confirm on a segment-by-segment basis.

Aaron Goldberg
Sr. Manager - Customer Experience Planning
United Airlines
Print Wikipost

Some Paid Upgrades Count Towards PQD & mileage bonus and some DON'T!

Old Aug 13, 2013, 11:52 am

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by YumYumcake
The upgrade does not change the underlying booked fare, which is what determines mileage accrual.
This is not completely correct. Sometimes, the upgrade is a change-fee-free buy up to a discount first class fare. In this case, you'll get a new ticket number that shows the total price paid and your new fare class. In other cases, you're switching to an -UP fare, which may or may not get the bonus depending on what the underlying fare class is.

It's complicated, and there is more discussion here.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 12:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Long thread on this and the basic issue is it is not clear at time of purchased which type of cash upgrade one is receiving and therefore if or if not there will be a class of service bonus.
You can see what your new fare class will be. See post #139. This *should* clarify for anyone considering a buy-up whether they will get bonus miles/segments or not.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, VX Gold, AA PLT, DL Gold, MR Gold, HH Diamond, Hertz 5* Gold
Originally Posted by JWSCHERER
I recently flew round trip SFO - ORD, and at time of ticketing was offered a buy-up to First (A) which I bought. The fights were recently completed, and even though the reciept indicates the leg was an "A" fare, it credited as a "W" and only 1x miles for PQM purposes.

Does anyone have experience in sorting this out? Or did I miss the fine print somewhere?

Thanks for your insight -
You got burned, just like I did.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 1:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K
This started happening to me this year, so I stopped buying up completely. The policy partially de-incentivizes buy-ups, at least for elites or anyone trying to attain or maintain elite status. One more nail in the coffin. I'm about to start flying B6 (with their new lower priced transcon product), and just buy tickets on whatever international airline has the best price for product for my destination. I think this is what the airline is hinting that it wants me to do, so I should start obliging.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 2:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
$15 TOD for B-fare ?

I've just booked a one-way B fare ticket, and after ticketing, it's offering me to buy-up for either $15 or 10,000 miles.

My question is (1) what fare code it usually buys up to (Z, P, J, F) and (2) would I get mileage credit based on the B fare or the buy-up ?
Old Aug 19, 2013, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Is this a domestic flight? If it is you should be upgraded automatically based on being Platinum, though you may need to call in if it isn't giving you the option to process online (and if would book you up into PN which doesn't change your fare basis and you would earn mileage credit on the B fare).

If it's an international flight others would know better
Old Aug 19, 2013, 2:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by flyerdude88
Is this a domestic flight? If it is you should be upgraded automatically based on being Platinum, though you may need to call in if it isn't giving you the option to process online (and if would book you up into PN which doesn't change your fare basis and you would earn mileage credit on the B fare).

If it's an international flight others would know better
It's domestic, and i'm eligible for instant upgrade. But just wondering whether the $15 is worth the extra RDM / PQMs.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 2:28 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by 787fan
It's domestic, and i'm eligible for instant upgrade. But just wondering whether the $15 is worth the extra RDM / PQMs.
If you're on a B fare you'll get 50% bonus PQM's anyway so there's no advantage on that. I don't know if you'd get the 50% bonus RDM's if you pay the $15. It might be worth it just to try it out and see.. that's only the cost of 1 martini.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 2:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Isnt the PQM bonus between B-fare and any F fares the same? 1.5X?
I guess you would earn extra RDMs. But I don't think its worth it unless your flight is over 1500mi or so
Old Aug 19, 2013, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Be careful taking the TOD, it may impact the refund-ability/fees of your fare.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 4:38 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've just booked a one-way B fare ticket, and after ticketing, it's offering me to buy-up for either $15 or 10,000 miles.

My question is (1) what fare code it usually buys up to (Z, P, J, F) and (2) would I get mileage credit based on the B fare or the buy-up ?
1) Any of those.
2) Based on the new fare if the ticket is reissued.

You may want to be careful as the $15 buy-up to to the next fare could take a refundable B fare and turn it into a non-refundable Z/P fare. So you must click on "Fare Rules" before paying for the $15 upgrade. That will also tell you the new fare basis which you can map back to booking class. If it shows a non-UP Y fare, you know you will book into JN. If it shows a **UP** fare, you know you will book into P or above and will get a COS bonus.

Last edited by Ari; Aug 19, 2013 at 4:44 pm
Old Aug 20, 2013, 3:04 pm

Programs: Hertz Presidents Circle, Avis Presidents Club,National EE, Hilton honors Gold,hyatt Plat,MP Silver
I am BEYOND pissed off, I just flown from IAD-FRA and for the first time i opted to take the kiosk offer into BF (thinking ..., I'm trying to make Gold status by years end)

After trolling the forum i happen upon this thread, I check my MP account and the segment is credited as Z but no bonus miles...I'm almost positive the offer on the kiosk mentions receiving additional miles

way beyond pissed, to me this is deceptive marketing..They spell out to you in the offer to buy miles that the miles aren't PQM..

As a new Club Card holder i'm reconsidering everything united now
Old Aug 23, 2013, 4:09 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DODiraq
I am BEYOND pissed off, I just flown from IAD-FRA and for the first time i opted to take the kiosk offer into BF (thinking ..., I'm trying to make Gold status by years end)

After trolling the forum i happen upon this thread, I check my MP account and the segment is credited as Z but no bonus miles...I'm almost positive the offer on the kiosk mentions receiving additional miles

way beyond pissed, to me this is deceptive marketing..They spell out to you in the offer to buy miles that the miles aren't PQM..

As a new Club Card holder i'm reconsidering everything united now
If the offer was on a KIOSK at check-in, the offer was not supposed to include bonus RDM/PQM. I can't testify as to what you read on the screen, but the only buy-up offers that give bonus PQM/RDM are the ones in "My Reservations" in united.com that re-issue the ticket-- and only when the ticket is re-issued into a premium booking class. The terms and conditions of each offer have to be read each time.
Old Aug 25, 2013, 10:10 am

Programs: Hertz Presidents Circle, Avis Presidents Club,National EE, Hilton honors Gold,hyatt Plat,MP Silver
Originally Posted by Ari
If the offer was on a KIOSK at check-in, the offer was not supposed to include bonus RDM/PQM. I can't testify as to what you read on the screen, but the only buy-up offers that give bonus PQM/RDM are the ones in "My Reservations" in united.com that re-issue the ticket-- and only when the ticket is re-issued into a premium booking class. The terms and conditions of each offer have to be read each time.
Yeah i understand that now after a good back and forth with United, My problem is the lack of transparently with this process

i remember seeing an upgrade offer for about 1400 which i realize was the one i needed, problem is that offer and the "buy-up look exactly the same

either way i'll live with it, i have 2-3 more DXB-IAD flights in the next yr, if i'm going to pay for BF it will be with LF
Old Aug 25, 2013, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by DODiraq
...I'm almost positive the offer on the kiosk mentions receiving additional miles...
It didn't. The kiosk offers never mention add'l miles for an upgrade purchase.

You might be confusing the upgrade purchase screen with another screen where you given the opportunity to purchase extra miles - a completely separate offer.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.