Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Some Paid Upgrades Count Towards PQD & mileage bonus and some DON'T!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 8, 2015, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
One of the more confusing aspects of cash upgrades is "does this upgrade get premium cabin mileage bonus and is the fee included in PQD?"

The best assumption is no bonus and fee is not included in PQD but there are some cases where there will be a premium cabin bonus and amount will count toward PQD.

There are multiple cash upgrade paths and different ones are offered at different times (and can be quite hard to separate).

The key is what is the new fare basis after the upgrade. Note R, RN, P, PN, ZN, ON, A and others have been reported.
  • Many of the upgrade offers results in R/PN/ZN fare class (and post as Zx) -- so like a regular upgrade the mileage posting is based on the original fare class. The upgrade fee does not earn PQDs.
  • Others bump the fare basis to a -UP fare which reports as a P/Z/A fare class, these are now earning PQMs at the up-fared fare class and the up-fare costs earns PQDs.
  • And others book into a true P/Z/A fare basis and will earn the PQM bonus and the up-fare cost will earn PQDs.

The following are generally not eligible for PQD or bonus:
  • Pop-up upgrade immediately following purchase on united.com
  • Last minute upgrade at check-in
Generally these will be priced as $xx9 (ending in 9 dollars) and reflected on the receipt as
Additional Charges:
Date/CreditCard XXXX was charged xxx USD for the Merchandising / EDD
xxx USD for: Premium Cabin Upgrade
However the offer, in "My Reservations" via the cash method tab "Buy Up to First" under "View {Upgrade} Options" is likely to be eligible for PQDs & PQM bonus.
**** Due to UA changes in May 2018, this statement may not be relieable ****
**** This now appears to be an Upgrade Fee (no PQDs) and may book into Upgrade fare class (no extra PQMs) or into a mileage earning bonus fare class (PQMs earning). Unclear if that is a way to tell which will happen ****

Generally these will be reflected on the receipt as
Add Collect: An additional amount for the difference in fare was charged to {card} on {date}. $yyy USD per ticket for an additional total of $yyy USD was collected.
Notice the words "generally" and "likely" -- those are weasel words to protect the wiki author because of the lack of transparency in this system
For instance, some time of checkin paid upgrades that book into P, will earn PQM bonus but not earn PQDs.
Checking the actual fare basis during booking when you are given access (or using the Saudi site) is key in understanding the outcome.

UA Insider commented on this a while back, but there has been no improvement in the confusion / clarity in the meantime.
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi Everyone,

I’ve done a little bit of research on this, and I wanted to share some background on the scenario vandrei shared.

At a high level, and as a some of you have noticed more recently in the thread, the buy-up offer we sometimes present immediately upon booking an economy ticket is indeed distinct from the one presented when viewing a reservation in My Account at some point after the flight has been ticketed and confirmed. For example, the offer at booking enables customers to the flexibility to confirm an upgraded seat on a segment-by-segment basis, whereas the one in My Reservations is based on the line of flight.

Additionally, from a functional perspective, the offer immediately upon booking does not change the underlying fare basis for the original purchased fare (even though the visible fare class is reflective of the buy-up inventory), whereas the one in My Reservations results in a complete re-issue of the existing ticket. It is this aspect of the functionality which drives mileage accrual, which is based on the original purchased fare for the offer immediately after booking, but based on the new fare class for the offer in My Reservations. These policies are disclosed in each offer’s respective (and indeed, different) terms and conditions.

Longer-term, the vision is indeed to align mileage accrual policies between the two types of offers. In the meantime, the tradeoff between the two offers continues to be one of additional miles vs. the flexibility to confirm on a segment-by-segment basis.

Aaron Goldberg
Sr. Manager - Customer Experience Planning
United Airlines
Print Wikipost

Some Paid Upgrades Count Towards PQD & mileage bonus and some DON'T!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2015, 10:12 am

Programs: AS MVPG; Hertz Pres; Tanquery Million Minier
Originally Posted by Kacee
What was the pricing? Was it a typical upgrade price (e.g., $119) or an odd number suggesting an upfare (e.g., $137)?
Yep $119, and showed up separately on the receipt as a buy-up.

(Of course I had buyers remorse when they cleared 100% of the CPU list for the flight we were switched to.)
Old Jun 6, 2015, 10:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by nookanaya
Yep $119, and showed up separately on the receipt as a buy-up.

(Of course I had buyers remorse when they cleared 100% of the CPU list for the flight we were switched to.)
That's just a flat-out IT error. You got lucky (especially on the PQD).

UA has been having an awful lot of issues properly crediting flights this year. Sometimes the errors go in the pax direction.
Old Jun 6, 2015, 10:27 am

Programs: AS MVPG; Hertz Pres; Tanquery Million Minier
I guess it's time to get my spreadsheet in order to detect any retroactive cleanup they decide to do. I have noticed a few other RDM oddies in my history this year (nothing big, just weird rates for non-flight partner earnings).
Old Jul 24, 2015, 10:26 pm

I am new to United and world of PQDs, etc and I am confused about a recent booking and welcome any explanation.

My company booked me on a one way flight from BWI/EWR/BOS. That total fare came to 170 with PQDs of 37 and 100.

I then logged into my reservation to change seats and purchase E+ but instead took advantage of a buy up offer to UnitedFirst.

Now my reservation states total fare of 245 (original plus 75 buy up) and PQDs of 47 and 0. I was wondering if I'd get bonus PQD but I never expected to get fewer. How did it drop from 137 total PQDs to 47? It states the second flight is ineligiblee for PQM/PQD but it was giving these before the buy up. I feel a bit cheated. I should have just bought E+.

Still, I don't understand why this happened and to avoid it. Why can't is just have a little green or red PQD symbol on the offer?
Old Jul 24, 2015, 10:55 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Czek6
Now my reservation states total fare of 245 (original plus 75 buy up) and PQDs of 47 and 0. I was wondering if I'd get bonus PQD but I never expected to get fewer. How did it drop from 137 total PQDs to 47? It states the second flight is ineligiblee for PQM/PQD but it was giving these before the buy up. I feel a bit cheated. I should have just bought E+.

Still, I don't understand why this happened and to avoid it. Why can't is just have a little green or red PQD symbol on the offer?
The mileage display you are looking has problems especially after change, it is unreliable, See http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...re-flight.html
Old Aug 8, 2015, 6:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Thumbs down New Policy: No PQM bonus on TOD upgrade?

I've bought TOD upgrades plenty of times in the past, and always I've gotten the 150% PQM mileage on those flights.

Just had a flight a few days ago, bought a TOD, and only got straight mileage, no 50% bonus. 1kvoice says "you had purchased an upgrade which does not receive the extra 50% PQM and PQS onto your account. You have to pay the difference in fare between the coach class ticket and the business class to receive the extra PQM bonus."

Is this a new policy? IT glitch? Former IT glitch now corrected? Should I HUAEA (hang up an email again?)
Old Aug 8, 2015, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bullfrog
I've bought TOD upgrades plenty of times in the past, and always I've gotten the 150% PQM mileage on those flights.

Just had a flight a few days ago, bought a TOD, and only got straight mileage, no 50% bonus. 1kvoice says "you had purchased an upgrade which does not receive the extra 50% PQM and PQS onto your account. You have to pay the difference in fare between the coach class ticket and the business class to receive the extra PQM bonus."

Is this a new policy? IT glitch? Former IT glitch now corrected? Should I HUAEA (hang up an email again?)
Been this way for a while. Some get it, some don't.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 8, 2015 at 8:29 pm Reason: cleanup after move -- thanks for the link
Old Aug 9, 2015, 1:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bullfrog

This is correct. If the buy up is the difference from your original fare class to an actual premium cabin fare class, then you'll get a bonus. If it's just a buy up (that's not the fare difference), you don't. Unfortunately don't believe there is a way to tell at the time. So in that case, I'd assume you won't get it, and be pleasantly surprised if you do.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 8:34 am

Cabin upgrade PQD Q

Upgraded from L/T class to P during ticket booking for domestic UA flight.

Can someone officially clarify whether or not the upgrade portion of the cost earns PQDs? United PQD FAQ does not answer this question at all. I already got boned this year on a K class LH booking that is answered on the UA website...after about 10 clicks and 3 charts...but nothing on upgrading to first as far as I can tell.

Based on the previous comments it sounds like the answer is...no...but not positive?

I understand that sometimes the booking upgrade fee is much cheaper than outright first class fares...but sometimes outright first is pretty cheap and you can never really know unless you fully book both.

Regardless it doesn't make sense that upgrading to E+ (which I never do since they are always available) gets you PQDs while upgrading to first doesn't.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 12:57 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Hilton Diamond
Which fare class would I have been in?

Hi everyone

Flew EWR-LHR earlier this month after my flight to NCL was cancelled. When checking in for the LHR flight with the app on my phone, I paid for an upgrade to BusinessFirst.

I get my miles accredited to Aegean but they have only accredited as the original Economy K class rather than business class. My friend with whom I was travelling has received the miles for flying BF.

I no longer have the boarding card so I cannot check my fare class.

Am I right in thinking that this is a mistake?

Thanks
James
Old Aug 27, 2015, 1:28 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, HHonors Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis First
Looks like you took upgrade at or after check-in. These do not earn you Business class miles or PQD. These are known as TOD / HOD upgrades.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 1:50 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Thus with the kind of upgrade that you purchased, the K fare class remains the underlying fare for mileage purposes.
Old Nov 8, 2015, 4:34 am

Buying upgrade during online check-in

Pardon me if this has been discussed before, I couldn't find it anywhere.

I was doing mobile check-in from my phone for a United flight that has a transatlantic segment from Europe to the US, connecting to a short domestic segment within the US. Currently, both segments are "deep-discount economy", booked into K class.

During checkin, I was offered the opportunity to purchase an upgrade to business. The transatlantic leg was several thousand dollars, but the domestic leg was just $79 to upgrade.

So my question is: if I buy the domestic upgrade for $79, will that leg be updated to business fare class (and earn more miles, or whatever)? Or will it stay K class, just the assigned seat will be in business class?

Also, minor side-question, while on this topic: will upgrading only the domestic segment get me United Club access at EWR after arriving on my (economy) transatlantic flight, while waiting for my (business) domestic flight?
Old Nov 8, 2015, 6:21 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Yes to United First (earn same miles as K fare). No United Club access unless you have Premier Gold status.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...grades-28.html
Old Nov 8, 2015, 6:53 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Kmxu
Yes to United First (earn same miles as K fare). No United Club access unless you have Premier Gold status.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...grades-28.html
I thought buy-up at check in put you into P?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.