Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Some Paid Upgrades Count Towards PQD & mileage bonus and some DON'T!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 8, 2015, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
One of the more confusing aspects of cash upgrades is "does this upgrade get premium cabin mileage bonus and is the fee included in PQD?"

The best assumption is no bonus and fee is not included in PQD but there are some cases where there will be a premium cabin bonus and amount will count toward PQD.

There are multiple cash upgrade paths and different ones are offered at different times (and can be quite hard to separate).

The key is what is the new fare basis after the upgrade. Note R, RN, P, PN, ZN, ON, A and others have been reported.
  • Many of the upgrade offers results in R/PN/ZN fare class (and post as Zx) -- so like a regular upgrade the mileage posting is based on the original fare class. The upgrade fee does not earn PQDs.
  • Others bump the fare basis to a -UP fare which reports as a P/Z/A fare class, these are now earning PQMs at the up-fared fare class and the up-fare costs earns PQDs.
  • And others book into a true P/Z/A fare basis and will earn the PQM bonus and the up-fare cost will earn PQDs.

The following are generally not eligible for PQD or bonus:
  • Pop-up upgrade immediately following purchase on united.com
  • Last minute upgrade at check-in
Generally these will be priced as $xx9 (ending in 9 dollars) and reflected on the receipt as
Additional Charges:
Date/CreditCard XXXX was charged xxx USD for the Merchandising / EDD
xxx USD for: Premium Cabin Upgrade
However the offer, in "My Reservations" via the cash method tab "Buy Up to First" under "View {Upgrade} Options" is likely to be eligible for PQDs & PQM bonus.
**** Due to UA changes in May 2018, this statement may not be relieable ****
**** This now appears to be an Upgrade Fee (no PQDs) and may book into Upgrade fare class (no extra PQMs) or into a mileage earning bonus fare class (PQMs earning). Unclear if that is a way to tell which will happen ****

Generally these will be reflected on the receipt as
Add Collect: An additional amount for the difference in fare was charged to {card} on {date}. $yyy USD per ticket for an additional total of $yyy USD was collected.
Notice the words "generally" and "likely" -- those are weasel words to protect the wiki author because of the lack of transparency in this system
For instance, some time of checkin paid upgrades that book into P, will earn PQM bonus but not earn PQDs.
Checking the actual fare basis during booking when you are given access (or using the Saudi site) is key in understanding the outcome.

UA Insider commented on this a while back, but there has been no improvement in the confusion / clarity in the meantime.
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi Everyone,

I’ve done a little bit of research on this, and I wanted to share some background on the scenario vandrei shared.

At a high level, and as a some of you have noticed more recently in the thread, the buy-up offer we sometimes present immediately upon booking an economy ticket is indeed distinct from the one presented when viewing a reservation in My Account at some point after the flight has been ticketed and confirmed. For example, the offer at booking enables customers to the flexibility to confirm an upgraded seat on a segment-by-segment basis, whereas the one in My Reservations is based on the line of flight.

Additionally, from a functional perspective, the offer immediately upon booking does not change the underlying fare basis for the original purchased fare (even though the visible fare class is reflective of the buy-up inventory), whereas the one in My Reservations results in a complete re-issue of the existing ticket. It is this aspect of the functionality which drives mileage accrual, which is based on the original purchased fare for the offer immediately after booking, but based on the new fare class for the offer in My Reservations. These policies are disclosed in each offer’s respective (and indeed, different) terms and conditions.

Longer-term, the vision is indeed to align mileage accrual policies between the two types of offers. In the meantime, the tradeoff between the two offers continues to be one of additional miles vs. the flexibility to confirm on a segment-by-segment basis.

Aaron Goldberg
Sr. Manager - Customer Experience Planning
United Airlines
Print Wikipost

Some Paid Upgrades Count Towards PQD & mileage bonus and some DON'T!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2013, 7:41 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member
Originally Posted by vandrei
So, let's see if I can get this straight, using an example as if I were going to United's Web site to book right now....

Eligible to earn miles on United MileagePlus for a V class fare, or 100% PQM/RDM and 1.0 PQS.

Is this right?
Actually, and I'm speaking from real experience here, -UP fares DO earn the COS bonus.

Originally Posted by burlax
It's a V-UP. Yes, you are right. The pax will be seated in FC, but won't receive COS bonus, because the fare basis is actually coach and not premium.
Originally Posted by mitchmu
Wow. I simply cannot believe this. They sell a ticket in P. They tell you it's in P. And, then they don't give you the COS bonus?

I know what a VUP is but how in the world is a normal customer supposed to figure this out?
Originally Posted by edcho
Interesting -- I always knew things like V-UP fares existed but didn't know that they didn't earn F COS.

Probably also doesn't count for things like Global Services qualifications even though you might think that you bought a GS eligible fare.
No, No, -UP fares do earn COS. UA dosen't apply their own rules consistently here. I'd be willing to bet that the majority of "paid" first class are -UP fares. They seem to be offered on most routes and the higher end ones have few restrictions. I don't know why anyone would buy an actual F fare (just like most don't buy Y fares).

A few pages back, I was advising the OP that if their new fare is an -UP fare they should get the COS bonus.

What UA seems to do with some of the post-purchase upgrades is book you into P (or some other discount booking code) but keep your fare basis the same as what you purchased (with no ticket reissue). This is the situation the OP came back and described happened to him (his fare basis stayed the same and his reservation changed).

As I've said before, I think the core issue is that someone besides the crew that writes text for the websites has changed the backend system to offer upgrades that only change the reservation and leave the ticket alone. This results in an upgraded seat but no COS bonus.

With regards to GS...I think the new qualification is more of a inclusive spend approach rather than spending on specific fares.

UA should indicate the difference between "fare class" and "booking class." Right now, it seems that their Web site in various places uses the two interchangeably when in fact they are not the same thing.
I'd be willing to bet that there are UA staff, perhaps even the ones who write the text that we see on the website, that don't understand the differences. Heck, there are reservations agents that don't understand and this is the core of their job. I think this is just another example of the deep-rooted problems at United.

Last edited by kenn0223; Apr 30, 2013 at 7:46 pm
Old Apr 30, 2013, 7:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: US CP ; LH FTL ; *G
Originally Posted by kenn0223
. . . No, No, -UP fares do earn COS.
Certainly doesn't look like they should, if you read the rules.

UA dosen't apply their own rules consistently here. . .
Amen to that.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 8:03 pm

And of course, in Jeff's world, United is incapable of communicating the difference between fare class and booking class to customers (much less why both instead of just one exist).
What is booking class?

We know what a fare class is and we know what a fare basis is. I have never heard of a booking class.

And courts consistently upheld validity of "fine print" because god forbid we do something that "entrepreneurs" say will be bad for are economy. . .
I disagree. The fine print says you get credit according to the fare. It doesn't specify fare class or fare basis.

It's clear UA made no effort to be clear and is, in fact, very intentionally misleading.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 8:18 pm

What is booking class?

We know what a fare class is and we know what a fare basis is. I have never heard of a booking class.
Booking Code and Fare Basis are typically used interchangeably with Booking Code more often used in the context of reservations and Fare Basis used more for ticketing. Historically, this has been a one letter code and is the first letter of the fare code (so a V fare basis could have a V2UA7N fare code)

UA has bucked the norm and has been linking one booking code with one or more fare basises. P is a good example; I have never seen a fare with a P fare basis or a fare code starting with P but all sorts of fares book into P. By doing this the UA cronies who craft the schemes are confused, the bots that sell them are confused, the agents that have to untangle the mess are confused, and the customers... we're all confused. It seems that some of these combinations do count as "revenue" first (like the -UP fares) and some do not (like the OP's example).

I guess this is one of the "flexibility" bennies that SHARES brings.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 9:38 pm

Booking Code and Fare Basis are typically used interchangeably with Booking Code more often used in the context of reservations and Fare Basis used more for ticketing. Historically, this has been a one letter code and is the first letter of the fare code (so a V fare basis could have a V2UA7N fare code)

UA has bucked the norm and has been linking one booking code with one or more fare basises. P is a good example; I have never seen a fare with a P fare basis or a fare code starting with P but all sorts of fares book into P. By doing this the UA cronies who craft the schemes are confused, the bots that sell them are confused, the agents that have to untangle the mess are confused, and the customers... we're all confused. It seems that some of these combinations do count as "revenue" first (like the -UP fares) and some do not (like the OP's example).

I guess this is one of the "flexibility" bennies that SHARES brings.
Just to be clear. You are defining a booking code as a fare basis.

So, booking code = booking class = fare basis.

And none of those three terms are the same as fare class.

How does one know that a given fare basis books into a given fare class?

Let's say you are using expert flyer to look for cheap business fares. If you search for P inventory, you see what's available in P. But, how can you search using expert flyer for discounted fares? Seems impossible.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 10:52 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
If you have to document everything, it seems that a simpler solution is to vote with your feet and to go to a carrier that doesn't play games and doesn't force its pax to get involved into this nonsense.

Are you kidding? This is outright fraud. UA upgrades are cheaper than buy-ups, and the whole point of buy-ups is extra PQMs & RDMs.
The first sentence is the reasonable response. To make the mistake in the first place is not fraud, to insist that you will not honor a documented offer is fraud. And a pattern of doing this, and hoping you will not get called on it, is consumer fraud.

The rest of the mess is definitely sketchy but I would label it as incompetence rather than fraud (which my Wikipedia law degree says requires willful intent to swindle).
Practicing law on Wikipedia is a dangerous thing... First, a mistake, not corrected becomes fraud. Second, there are two types of fraud statutory (consumer) fraud and common law fraud. Consumer fraud statutes bar unfair trade practices, which this clearly is.

I mean this is just an example of a "fine print."

And courts consistently upheld validity of "fine print" because god forbid we do something that "entrepreneurs" say will be bad for are economy. . .
See above, re practicing law based on Wiki. Courts routinely find that an offer (either written or in writing) trumps the "fine print" Here (if what has been posted is correct) there was a clear offer which was agreed to. The fine print is not a defense in a contract action, nor to a consumer fraud action if UA refuses to give what was offered so as to constitute an "unfair or deceptive trade practice."

When dealing with consumer transactions, a breach of contract quickly becomes consumer fraud when it is part of a pattern and practice.

OP, send a complaint to DOT, you will get a quick response from UA.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 11:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, VX Gold, AA PLT, DL Gold, MR Gold, HH Diamond, Hertz 5* Gold
Originally Posted by spin88
I have been getting quick responses from UA - all of which say that I only earn PQM based on the original fare class purchased (emphasis on original). This, of course, implies that I purchased a ticket in P fare class, which, according to United's Web site, suggests I should get bonus PQM.

Maybe the responses will be different if a DOT complaint is involved.
Old May 1, 2013, 12:14 am
Suspended

Programs: US CP ; LH FTL ; *G
Originally Posted by spin88
The first sentence is the reasonable response. To make the mistake in the first place is not fraud, to insist that you will not honor a documented offer is fraud. And a pattern of doing this, and hoping you will not get called on it, is consumer fraud.

Practicing law on Wikipedia is a dangerous thing... First, a mistake, not corrected becomes fraud. Second, there are two types of fraud statutory (consumer) fraud and common law fraud. Consumer fraud statutes bar unfair trade practices, which this clearly is.

See above, re practicing law based on Wiki. Courts routinely find that an offer (either written or in writing) trumps the "fine print" Here (if what has been posted is correct) there was a clear offer which was agreed to. The fine print is not a defense in a contract action, nor to a consumer fraud action if UA refuses to give what was offered so as to constitute an "unfair or deceptive trade practice."

When dealing with consumer transactions, a breach of contract quickly becomes consumer fraud when it is part of a pattern and practice.

Umm. . . All I can say is - I hope you follow your own advice and don't practice law on wiki, because I'm not aware of any court (s) that routinely find what you say they find. The fact that contracts with fine print became a standard supports my statement. Feel free to cite any authority to the contrary though - I'd love to see it.

I was under the impression that the OP didn't get PQMs for a ticket with an appropriate fare basis, but it seems from the subsequent discussion that the problem was that the OP didn't read the fare rules, which, although may seem arcane to an average flyer, are very much conspicuously placed.

So, the basis for whatever claim OP could make would be that the rules were not stated clearly. That may or may not be the case. But given with the fact that UA sometimes gives CoS bonus for V-UPs even though it's not supposed to, by the rules, I doubt very much that you'd make out any claim other than in contract, which means arbitration ( and abandonment by any claimant who values his time and money more than a chance to get moral satisfaction by winning arbitration proceedings ) .

At any rate, all this is speculation since by OP's own admission, he doesn't remember complete details of what happened.

Last edited by burlax; May 1, 2013 at 12:29 am
Old May 1, 2013, 6:13 am

Programs: UA 1K
Maybe this is posted elsewhere in the thread ... what about flights where you've bought up, and that then post as ZW, or ZN for example, where the N and the W are the original coach fare class that you purchased? I have a slew of buy-ups, where the screen said it was a Z fare I was buying up to, but then posted later as above with no bonus. I didn't keep screen shots, and it almost seems too late to go back and try to fix it, but I do feel cheated now. I am far less likely to buy up with this in place.

I noticed also that where I used GPUs, the miles posted the same way (ZL, or ZQ). These used to post to the upgrade bucket (R class), if I recall correctly.
Old May 1, 2013, 7:29 am

Just to be clear. You are defining a booking code as a fare basis.

So, booking code = booking class = fare basis.

And none of those three terms are the same as fare class.

How does one know that a given fare basis books into a given fare class?

Let's say you are using expert flyer to look for cheap business fares. If you search for P inventory, you see what's available in P. But, how can you search using expert flyer for discounted fares? Seems impossible.
Yes, Booking Codes are the same Booking Classes (both are terms used in the context of a reservation). Historically they have mapped directly to the Fare Basis (which is a term used in the context of a ticket) and ultimately as part of the fare code. HOWEVER, I think UA is bucking this trend and using booking codes that do not map directly to a fare basis. P is a good example, I cannot find any filed fares with a P basis however a bunch of the -UP fares translate into P.

So, it appears that you CANNOT use EF to find the fares that map to the P booking code.

Originally Posted by skipmnyc
Maybe this is posted elsewhere in the thread ... what about flights where you've bought up, and that then post as ZW, or ZN for example, where the N and the W are the original coach fare class that you purchased? I have a slew of buy-ups, where the screen said it was a Z fare I was buying up to, but then posted later as above with no bonus. I didn't keep screen shots, and it almost seems too late to go back and try to fix it, but I do feel cheated now. I am far less likely to buy up with this in place.

I noticed also that where I used GPUs, the miles posted the same way (ZL, or ZQ). These used to post to the upgrade bucket (R class), if I recall correctly.
Right, so as I described above. UA seems to have more complex (and hidden) mapping between the fare basis (which is part of the ticket) and the booking/fare code (in the reservation). So in your example, the fare basis remains the same (N or W) in the ticket however in the reservation the booking code changes to (R, ZW, ZN, etc) representing a seat in C or F but a Y fare.

This type of complexity is one of the benefits etickets brought to the industry. Before when there was a need for manual matching of the paper ticket to the reservation (which is when "checking-in" actually served a purpose) things needed to be simple. Now, that is all done by a computer in real time, things are ticketed at the time of purchase, customers don't view the reservation and ticket as separate things, and the airlines can be a lot more creative.

Last edited by kenn0223; May 1, 2013 at 7:35 am
Old May 1, 2013, 7:45 am

... and the airlines can be a lot more creative.
Yes ... the type of "creativity" that involves duping the customer into thinking they are buying up to a higher PQM-earning fare in order to get them to make the purchase. Let's all applaud this "enhancement" for the industry. Pffft.
Old May 1, 2013, 7:48 am

Yes, Booking Codes are the same Booking Classes (both are terms used in the context of a reservation). Historically they have mapped directly to the Fare Basis (which is a term used in the context of a ticket) and ultimately as part of the fare code. HOWEVER, I think UA is bucking this trend and using booking codes that do not map directly to a fare basis. P is a good example, I cannot find any filed fares with a P basis however a bunch of the -UP fares translate into P.

So, it appears that you CANNOT use EF to find the fares that map to the P booking code.
A few points in response to this.

1. What you describe makes it impossible for someone to use EF to search for cheap fares. It implies that the only way to search for cheap fares is to go to each airline site individually and search day by day. What I usually do is go to EF and look for P or Z, on a range of days, across a range of airlines, to see where there is some cheap J inventory. If what you say is true, this strategy is incomplete, and the only alternative is one that requires 1000x more time and effort. Because, it seems, nobody except the airline knows these rules.

2. What you have described, assuming it's accurate, seems virtually impossible to understand. We can see fare class on web site. With a lot of work, we can find fare basis. But, we can't find booking code or booking class and in the case you describe where booking codes, which are invisible to the pax to begin with, don't even map to a fare basis, what the heck is a person supposed to do?

3. None of this ties to UA's language that says the "fare" determines the PQM rate. "Fare" is still undefined.

Look. They can do whatever they want to do in their revenue maximization efforts. But, refusing to honor promised PQM earning rates is fraud. And totally unacceptable.

If the ticket looks like it's P then it should earn an P rates. If not, they should make it clear.
Old May 1, 2013, 8:16 am

I have always had pqm earned on the upgraded fare as long as it is purchased ahead of time. Day of departure upgrades do not qualify. They do occasionally post wrong. I had a buy up fare that showed P and posted W. It took 4 emails to Mileage Plus but they eventually fixed it. That have a lot of confusion on this issue.
Old May 1, 2013, 8:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by magemarq
I have always had pqm earned on the upgraded fare as long as it is purchased ahead of time. Day of departure upgrades do not qualify. They do occasionally post wrong. I had a buy up fare that showed P and posted W. It took 4 emails to Mileage Plus but they eventually fixed it. That have a lot of confusion on this issue.
Same here. I have always been properly credited for pqm when I've purchased upgrades before OLCI.
Old May 1, 2013, 8:28 am
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
I mean this is just an example of a "fine print."

That's not true.

That's why customers are constantly getting $5 off coupons and other silly stuff from class-action suits, because the plaintiffs' lawyers don't care to go to a full trial once they get their attorney's fees. But the courts are not "consistently upholding the fine print," or else the customers would not even be getting the $5 coupon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.