Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "United SYD/MEL Flight Delays or Cancellations" Thread [2013]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "United SYD/MEL Flight Delays or Cancellations" Thread [2013]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2013, 11:46 pm

Programs: UA, 1K 2MM
UA870 delay 14/4/13

Flying UA870 today (14/4) left gate on time, taxied to runway and then sat for 20 minutes before Captain announced a "small" maintenance issue. Returned to gate to fix what the Captain called a problem with the heat valve in the rear cargo compartment. Fortunately, no live animals being transported today and Captain confident of a quick fix since the valve can be switched off or closed without issue - well we hope so. Stinking hot in here at the moment, FAs disappeared from Y cabin, at least they could have passed out water! We are now exactly 60 min post-scheduled departure time. Not sure how long we have before the crew time out...hmmm

Okay closing doors again now, switching off the computer and hopefully they will get this puppy airborne! We'll see.

Last edited by IainC; Apr 13, 2013 at 11:57 pm Reason: Update
Old Apr 14, 2013, 2:33 am

Programs: UA, 1K 2MM
Real time update from United Wi-Fi

Originally Posted by IainC
Flying UA870 today (14/4) left gate on time, taxied to runway and then sat for 20 minutes before Captain announced a "small" maintenance issue. Returned to gate to fix what the Captain called a problem with the heat valve in the rear cargo compartment. Fortunately, no live animals being transported today and Captain confident of a quick fix since the valve can be switched off or closed without issue - well we hope so. Stinking hot in here at the moment, FAs disappeared from Y cabin, at least they could have passed out water! We are now exactly 60 min post-scheduled departure time. Not sure how long we have before the crew time out...hmmm

Okay closing doors again now, switching off the computer and hopefully they will get this puppy airborne! We'll see.
Well this is really cool, here I am reporting live from UA870 with 10:00 hrs left in the flight! We finally departed 1.5 hours late, but fortunately we did depart and are on our way and due into SFO 11:54 am, about 60 min late. This 744 has WI-FI so I thought I would give it a go and for $3.99 it's pretty darn good! A little slow but hey, who can complain. Now this is a change that I do like UA.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

From http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/uni...-1226625848428
A UNITED Airways plane has clipped an aerobridge while parking at Melbourne Airport, leaving its wing with significant damage
<snip>
"There was this loud distinctive crash that you would get in a decent size car park bingle."
He said the plane was about 4m away from the jet way with a hole in the wing measuring about 40cm.
<snip>
United Airways flight UA840 has been cancelled.
More here, with a photo:- http://www.australianfrequentflyer.c...rne-49615.html

Would have been an interesting phone call back to head office !

Edit: Link to Age Newspaper (with photo)
http://www.theage.com.au/travel/trav...422-2i9oy.html

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Apr 21, 2013 at 9:46 pm Reason: Added The age link
Old Apr 21, 2013, 9:37 pm

Programs: VAG
I don't see the photo on the australianfrequentflyer thread. (Incidentally, is that site annoying, or what? They track you with cookies and only let you view a finite number of threads before they make you sign up. Of course you can get around it using an incognito window on Chrome, but that also disables my ....... forcing me to see the ridiculous number of ads they also chuck up. Ugh. And the design! I mean, flyertalk looks like it belongs in 1999, but that site looks more like 1995!)

Anyway, I wonder how long it takes to fix a 744 with a hole in the wing.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Found it:

Old Apr 21, 2013, 10:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Looks like it was ship 8419, which is N119UA.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 11:42 pm

Programs: AA, DL UA (.5MM)
Glad to hear that nobody was hurt! ^

On the other hand a jet bridge for a major gate at Melbourne and a UA 744 out of business for an unknown amount of time is a big deal. Especially on a route that already has a history of significant delays and mechanical issues.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 11:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Wonder how long this will take to fix?

Old Apr 22, 2013, 12:11 am

Programs: *A Junkie, SQ PPS, Skywards Gold, 2 Million Mile Flyer;*wood LT Plat, BA MM
I wonder if they are able to cut a square out and put a patch on it...then again the fuel tanks are there too...a good wash is needed as well.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 12:49 am

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, VA G
Originally Posted by MPsince1984
Especially on a route that already has a history of significant delays and mechanical issues.
Still trying to figgure out how it has a high number of cancelations/delays
System wide united is at ~80% ontime
there are 4 flights per day involving 4 different AC on a daily basis
so per year you have 1460 flight segments
I really dont think more then 300 segments per year are delayed/canceled to bring it below the fleet average

From my own personal experience over the last 5 years its been (out of some ~60 segments on SYD->LAX/SFO or reverse) 1 cancel and 2 delays of more then 30minutes

The one cancel (oct 2012) was notified to me 15 hours in advance and United booked me into AirNZ without question when I asked
I dont even want to count it as AirNZ>>>>UA for flight comfort/food/booze

When I have flown SFO->FRA/LHR segments about 12 times in the last 3 years... not once has one of them been on time
Old Apr 22, 2013, 1:04 am

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Does anybody know if they used an automatic guidance system for the gate in question, or manual?
Old Apr 22, 2013, 3:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Wonder how long this will take to fix?
Oh, it will probably buff out.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Apr 22, 2013 at 5:31 am Reason: image removal
Old Apr 22, 2013, 5:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
there's a whole in the wing, dear Liza, dear Liza,
there's a hole in the wing, dear Liza, a hole!
Old Apr 22, 2013, 12:12 pm

Programs: BA Gold, UA Nobody, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by halls120
Oh, it will probably buff out.
Stick some gaffer tape over it and it'll be fine; if you use the silver stuff it will even blend in.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 12:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by LordTentacle
Still trying to figgure out how it has a high number of cancelations/delays
System wide united is at ~80% ontime
there are 4 flights per day involving 4 different AC on a daily basis
so per year you have 1460 flight segments
I really dont think more then 300 segments per year are delayed/canceled to bring it below the fleet average

From my own personal experience over the last 5 years its been (out of some ~60 segments on SYD->LAX/SFO or reverse) 1 cancel and 2 delays of more then 30minutes

The one cancel (oct 2012) was notified to me 15 hours in advance and United booked me into AirNZ without question when I asked
I dont even want to count it as AirNZ>>>>UA for flight comfort/food/booze

When I have flown SFO->FRA/LHR segments about 12 times in the last 3 years... not once has one of them been on time
whats so difficult to understand? its horrendous. Its stuff like that which makes UA an airline to NOT consider. no excuse for this to happen. UA should be held fully accountable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.