Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "United SYD/MEL Flight Delays or Cancellations" Thread [2013]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "United SYD/MEL Flight Delays or Cancellations" Thread [2013]

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2013, 12:41 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by SFO_FT
Surprised they even bothered flying the SYD-MEL-SYD rather than reprotecting the small number of pax flying SYD-MEL-SYD on QF or VA. Would have allowed them to operate the SYD-LAX flight on time.
According to the seat map SYD-MEL had around 140 passengers including 27 in premium cabins, and MEL-SYD had around 130 with 18 up the front. That's a lot of passengers to have to re-accommodate on other airlines, both in terms of the actual capacity, as well as the time it would take to do it. It would also mean a change in terminal in SYD for all of those passengers, as well as having to re-clear both immigration and security at least twice more each. The odds of getting the MEL passengers to SYD in time for SYD-LAX to leave anywhere close to on-time would be low.

It's really shocking how unreliable the Australian services have become. Poor little 840 today. Pushed back from its MEL gate at 254pm and then something caused it to have to return to the gate for 25 minutes. (Can see this all from my office window).
Hard to blame todays issues on anyone but the Australian Government/Airservices Australia. They are finally getting around to upgrading SYD to ILS Cat II, but days like today (RVR 300-500 metres) shows that they clearly need Cat III. With that (and suitable aircraft, which I presume most of the US flights have) days like today would be nothing more than short delays due to non-parallel ops.
Old May 28, 2013, 12:46 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Completely unreasonable to blame UA for the SYD problems today. If you must blame anyone, target the owners of SYD airport for failure to invest in the best nav aids to allow aircraft to land in crap conditions.
Old May 28, 2013, 11:53 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); DL Plat
Originally Posted by og
Completely unreasonable to blame UA for the SYD problems today. If you must blame anyone, target the owners of SYD airport for failure to invest in the best nav aids to allow aircraft to land in crap conditions.
+1
Old May 28, 2013, 2:52 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
Twice (out of 10 times) in the past 2 years I've been booked to fly SFO-SYD-MEL and the SFO-SYD has had a 1+ hour mechanical, we've misconnected at SYD. Both times UA did not hold/delay the SYD-MEL segment despite the close timing of the inbound SFO flight with the reg sked dep time of the MEL flight (both times, as we were pulling into the SYD gate the flight to MEL was pushing back). About 90 of us were reprotected on QF flights. Was really surprised that they didn't hold the MEL flight by 30 minutes.

As UA knew of the SYD fog at least as early as 5am AEST, pax could have reprotected onto other carriers. There's lots of capacity that flies SYD-MEL-SYD. I suspect that the costs of reprotection were greater than the costs of operation, even considering the downline consequences (ie, reprotection for the then delayed inbound to LAX)
Old May 28, 2013, 2:55 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

More heavy fog in SYD this morning. Very little getting into SYD. I assume SYD has not had the chance to order that new nav equipment that they needed after yesterday's fog stopped everything ?
Old May 28, 2013, 3:02 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
Appears to be similar problems today. Monday night's LAX-SYD is diverting to BNE, then on to SYD. Monday night's SFO-SYD flight is diverting to MEL, then continuing up to SYD (wonder if they'll let MEL-bound pax off the plane). Then, get this, it goes back down to MEL just to turn around again as the regularly scheduled MEL-SYD-LAX.

Would be fascinated to learn why (maybe payload restrictions) they didn't then just operate Monday night's LAX-MEL as a nonstop, then get the SYD bound pax that had come from LAX onto QF or even the regularly sked MEL-SYD flight.

My brain's starting to hurt.
Old May 28, 2013, 5:23 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
Surprised they even bothered flying the SYD-MEL-SYD rather than reprotecting the small number of pax flying SYD-MEL-SYD on QF or VA. Would have allowed them to operate the SYD-LAX flight on time.

It's really shocking how unreliable the Australian services have become. Poor little 840 today. Pushed back from its MEL gate at 254pm and then something caused it to have to return to the gate for 25 minutes. (Can see this all from my office window).
Yes. We returned to the gate because something was left on board. They didn't tell us what, but it was a quick open and close of the door.

I'm sitting at the UC at LAX and as predicted my connection to SFO was hosed. I was put on UA519 which is delayed also. I was fully expecting to receive an apology email, but so far nada. Maybe they're waiting until I actually make it back to SFO. Currently, it will be a total delay of 7:44.
Old May 28, 2013, 6:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Pat89339
I'm sitting at the UC at LAX and as predicted my connection to SFO was hosed. I was put on UA519 which is delayed also. I was fully expecting to receive an apology email, but so far nada. Maybe they're waiting until I actually make it back to SFO. Currently, it will be a total delay of 7:44.
Do they do apology emails for weather delays? I've certainly never received one.
Old May 28, 2013, 7:24 pm

Appears to be similar problems today. Monday night's LAX-SYD is diverting to BNE, then on to SYD. Monday night's SFO-SYD flight is diverting to MEL, then continuing up to SYD (wonder if they'll let MEL-bound pax off the plane). Then, get this, it goes back down to MEL just to turn around again as the regularly scheduled MEL-SYD-LAX.
That's been cancelled. The drill will unfold as yesterday: N120UA will turn to 840 - 29th at MEL; N171UA off diverted 863 - 27th will turn at SYD to an OT 870.
Old May 28, 2013, 7:46 pm

Programs: QF, VN, SQ, SPG, IHG PG
Why don't both UA839 & UA863 just head down to MEL instead of wasting time in BNE? Then they can at least offload MEL pax, pick up the MEL originating pax then continue onto SYD.

I'm sure if UA839 headed straight to MEL today, UA863 could of done it too.
Old May 28, 2013, 8:11 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by soorox
Why don't both UA839 & UA863 just head down to MEL instead of wasting time in BNE? .
The aircraft may not have had the range to get to MEL without offloading human or non human freight. Also, MEL may have been running short of space to hold diverted aircraft.
Old May 28, 2013, 9:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, VA Plat, EY Gold
Heads up: UA840 SYD to LAX on the 30th has already been cancelled
Old May 28, 2013, 10:49 pm

Originally Posted by jumpingenes
Heads up: UA840 SYD to LAX on the 30th has already been cancelled
I wonder why? Both 839 and 863 this evening are planned to depart roughly on schedule, so it's not like they aren't going to have a plane available for it (presuming no fog/etc)
Old May 28, 2013, 10:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by docbert
I wonder why? Both 839 and 863 this evening are planned to depart roughly on schedule, so it's not like they aren't going to have a plane available for it (presuming no fog/etc)
EF is showing weather:

0840/30MAY
N LAX/LX WEATHER

SKED MEL ORIG 1120A GTD HOLD SHIP 8479
SYD 1245P 150P GTA HOLD GTD HOLD SHIP 8479
LAX 1010A TERM GTA ****
Old May 28, 2013, 11:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, VA Plat, EY Gold
I'm guessing the forecast for fog at SYD for three days straight and associated diversions are making crew out of sync more so than the planes themselves...

I'm just very happy I managed to grab a seat on 870 tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

Originally Posted by docbert

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.