Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Minimum of 4 United flights/segments for Premier Status-Post your questions here

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 2, 2017, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Wooglin
UA waiving four segment requirement for non-U.S. residents (in 2021 for 2022 status) expired

UA Premier four (4) segment rule
To be eligible to qualify for any Premier level, you must fly a minimum of four paid flight segments on flights operated by United and/or United Express during a calendar year.
  • Four (4) paid or award (not award) flight segments operated by UA/UX (Award tickets qualify as of 2023)
  • Flight segment needs to be credited to UA MP to qualify
  • Codeshares operated by UA qualify
  • Codeshares operated by other airlines / partners do not qualify
  • Can be on any ticket stock (do not need to be sold by UA)
  • Basic Economy (N) fares do not now count (regardless of elite status) (BE segments now qualified -- starting Dec 2018)
  • A flight segment is each flight between two airports as purchased (direct flights -single flight number with a stop - that credits as 1 PQF, counts as one segment)
  • Original Routing Credit, when applicable, can be used
  • The requirement is waived for Chase MileagePlus Presidential Plus Card or a Chase United MileagePlus Club Card primary credit card holders ceased in 2020
  • Not required for Lifetime status (aka Million Miler status)

Related thread: Hitting the 4 UA Metal Segment Requirement - how to find cheapest option?

Print Wikipost

Minimum of 4 United flights/segments for Premier Status-Post your questions here

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2019, 11:53 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jsloan
Yes, and yes. United-operated flights all qualify.
and the flight is being credited to UA MP. A key issue for some in the case of a non-UA issued ticket.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
and the flight is being credited to UA MP. A key issue for some in the case of a non-UA issued ticket.
Regardless of who issues the ticket it needs to be credited to UA MP to count toward the UA MP 4 segment requirement. A UA ticketed UA flight credited to another program doesn't count for anything ever at UA MP. @:-)
Old Jan 12, 2020, 9:48 am

Programs: UA MM
The wiki on this thread would seem to imply that neither I nor the person I sponsor needs to fly 4 paid segments this year in order to preserve my MM Gold status next year. Do I understand that correctly?

The wiki also says that the 4 segment is waived for Chase United card holders, but the United site seems to say this is no longer true.
"The 4-segment minimum waiver on eligible United MileagePlus Chase Cards has been removed from the 2020 program. Each member must meet a minimum of 4 flight segments on United/United Express to be eligible for Premier status." from
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...r/qualify.html
but buried in a pull down detail.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by MojaveFlyer
The wiki on this thread would seem to imply that neither I nor the person I sponsor needs to fly 4 paid segments this year in order to preserve my MM Gold status next year. Do I understand that correctly?

The wiki also says that the 4 segment is waived for Chase United card holders, but the United site seems to say this is no longer true.
"The 4-segment minimum waiver on eligible United MileagePlus Chase Cards has been removed from the 2020 program. Each member must meet a minimum of 4 flight segments on United/United Express to be eligible for Premier status." from
If you are a 1MM flyer you do not need to fly UA at all -- ever -- to retain your UA Gold status. Neither does yur sponsored companion. As long as you've not expired, your status will not expire.
MojaveFlyer likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 12:16 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by MojaveFlyer
... The wiki also says that the 4 segment is waived for Chase United card holders, but the United site seems to say this is no longer true.
Wiki updated but any member with 90 days and 90 posts can make changes to the wiki.
Wikis are best as a community effort.
MojaveFlyer likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2021, 4:32 am

Premier Silver Requirements

Hey,
I am a normal MileagePlus member, no status, currently no PQP or PQF. I am flying TLV-EWR on January 16th and then EWR-TLV on January 28st, both in Polaris Business class, and I'm supposed to get a total of 2,654 PQP after both flights.
I saw United lowered the Premier requirements, and Premier silver is now 6 segments + 2,000 PQP OR 2,500 PQP.

Though, in the main MileagePlus benefits page on their website I saw it says 'A minimum of 4 flights operated by United/United Express is required for all levels'. Does that mean that even if I get those 2,654PQP I will still not get the Premier Silver? or is that requirement isn't in effect anymore?

Thanks in advance for any help
Old Jan 4, 2021, 4:43 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Originally Posted by xph11
Hey,
I am a normal MileagePlus member, no status, currently no PQP or PQF. I am flying TLV-EWR on January 16th and then EWR-TLV on January 28st, both in Polaris Business class, and I'm supposed to get a total of 2,654 PQP after both flights.
I saw United lowered the Premier requirements, and Premier silver is now 6 segments + 2,000 PQP OR 2,500 PQP.

Though, in the main MileagePlus benefits page on their website I saw it says 'A minimum of 4 flights operated by United/United Express is required for all levels'. Does that mean that even if I get those 2,654PQP I will still not get the Premier Silver? or is that requirement isn't in effect anymore?

Thanks in advance for any help
You still have to fly a minimum of four United/United Express flights. The requirement is there so that someone cannot earn United status by solely flying partner flights.
Old Jan 4, 2021, 4:48 am

Originally Posted by sannmann
You still have to fly a minimum of four United/United Express flights. The requirement is there so that someone cannot earn United status by solely flying partner flights.
Thanks for the answer. This is so stupid honestly, they don't even properly note this requirement anywhere besides a small line in a specific page.
Old Jan 4, 2021, 6:21 am

Originally Posted by xph11
Thanks for the answer. This is so stupid honestly, they don't even properly note this requirement anywhere besides a small line in a specific page.
Frankly, if you’re not going to fly at least four UA/UAX flights, what good would it possibly do to be Silver anyway?
Old Jan 4, 2021, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
If you are looking to obtain status for future use/benefits from UA, then I would suggest to book/fly a cheap/quick domestic segment while you are in the US. Yes, UA has had this requirement for years to obtain elite status - it is there to ensure elite members are flying UA (at least) four times a year. Let's be honest here, more $ to UA.

UA is running a PQP promotion through the entire Q1. So you will get a bonus 1,000 PQP on top of your trip. More if you decide to take another trip to get the 4 segments.

Safe travels and good luck!
Old Jan 4, 2021, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
If you really want Silver, you might look into changing your flights to TLV-ORD-EWR-ORD-TLV. One trip, 4 flights. Just make sure the PQPs you get are still 2500+...
Old Jan 4, 2021, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
If you really want Silver, you might look into changing your flights to TLV-ORD-EWR-ORD-TLV. One trip, 4 flights. Just make sure the PQPs you get are still 2500+...
I think ORD-TLV is not running until February?
Old Jan 4, 2021, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fumje
I think ORD-TLV is not running until February?
UA141 from TLV landed at 4:49 CST this morning.
Old Jan 4, 2021, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
UA141 from TLV landed at 4:49 CST this morning.
Odd. No ORD<>TLV nonstop for sale in January. And no UA140 operating today. But indeed, there was UA141 today, and there was UA140/1 on Saturday.

Old Jan 4, 2021, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fumje
Odd. No ORD<>TLV nonstop for sale in January. And no UA140 operating today. But indeed, there was UA141 today, and there was UA140/1 on Saturday.

Maybe UA has scheduled just a few holiday flights?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.