Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Minimum of 4 United flights/segments for Premier Status-Post your questions here

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 2, 2017, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Wooglin
UA waiving four segment requirement for non-U.S. residents (in 2021 for 2022 status) expired

UA Premier four (4) segment rule
To be eligible to qualify for any Premier level, you must fly a minimum of four paid flight segments on flights operated by United and/or United Express during a calendar year.
  • Four (4) paid or award (not award) flight segments operated by UA/UX (Award tickets qualify as of 2023)
  • Flight segment needs to be credited to UA MP to qualify
  • Codeshares operated by UA qualify
  • Codeshares operated by other airlines / partners do not qualify
  • Can be on any ticket stock (do not need to be sold by UA)
  • Basic Economy (N) fares do not now count (regardless of elite status) (BE segments now qualified -- starting Dec 2018)
  • A flight segment is each flight between two airports as purchased (direct flights -single flight number with a stop - that credits as 1 PQF, counts as one segment)
  • Original Routing Credit, when applicable, can be used
  • The requirement is waived for Chase MileagePlus Presidential Plus Card or a Chase United MileagePlus Club Card primary credit card holders ceased in 2020
  • Not required for Lifetime status (aka Million Miler status)

Related thread: Hitting the 4 UA Metal Segment Requirement - how to find cheapest option?

Print Wikipost

Minimum of 4 United flights/segments for Premier Status-Post your questions here

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2021, 10:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by xph11
Thanks for the answer. This is so stupid honestly, they don't even properly note this requirement anywhere besides a small line in a specific page.
It’s also listed on the mystatus website if you’re tracking status that way.
Old Jul 17, 2021, 1:40 am
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
Do codeshares count towards 4 UA segments for MP status?

I don’t know why but UA gave one of the LX flights, the TATL one, a UA number.
Old Jul 17, 2021, 4:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by exp
No. The 4 flights have to be on United metal.

Most of the TATL flights of the Star Alliance carry code share flight numbers for the TATL members.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2021, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by exp
It would count if LX flight number but operated by UA.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2021, 5:21 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, AA-PP, AS, DL, HH G, SPG Gold, TA nada
I can't figure this out. I have 1MM status, and have taken 2 flights out of 4. When I checked to see if I qualified for the last offer (I have signed up for everything as they came along this year) it said I had already requalified for Gold. Does this mean I can forgo the 4 flight minimum, and that my designated companion will be OK to as he rides off my status? Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 24, 2021, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by zoegksf
I can't figure this out. I have 1MM status, and have taken 2 flights out of 4. When I checked to see if I qualified for the last offer (I have signed up for everything as they came along this year) it said I had already requalified for Gold. Does this mean I can forgo the 4 flight minimum, and that my designated companion will be OK to as he rides off my status? Thanks in advance.
As a 1MMer, you get 2022 Gold even if you don't fly a single flight in 2021. So does your companion.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2021, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
As a 1MMer, you get 2022 Gold even if you don't fly a single flight in 2021. So does your companion.
Have I been trying to keep this 4 flight minimum on UA up for the last 10+ years for nothing?? Oh brother..
canadiancow likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2021, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by zoegksf
Have I been trying to keep this 4 flight minimum on UA up for the last 10+ years for nothing?? Oh brother..
Well, only if you've been a MMer for that long
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2021, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Well, only if you've been a MMer for that long
Yep, **head lowered**. In 2019, I did a quick Saturday RT from SFO-LAX in Basic just to satisfy the 4 flight requirement. Turns out I book it as 2 OW's and totally book the trip the wrong way, starting in LAX (I was in SF at the time)🙄 ***head really lowered***

Thank you so much for enlightening me IAH-OIL-TRASH, I owe you a drink.
Old Aug 31, 2021, 1:30 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Let's remember this thread is about the UA four-segment requirement for status
Old Jun 28, 2022, 8:19 am

Programs: Alaska MVP GOLD, Delta Medallion Gold
United Flight Segment Minimum -- Does Air Wisconsin DBA United Express count

In 2022 I have flown SAS Business Class multiple times which I've credited to United MileagePlus. I should have enough PQPs to quality for Premier Platinum, but currently have zero segments actually on United metal. It appears that I need 4 segments on United Metal to qualify for status. I have a trip planned where I would be flying on 'Air Wisconsin DBA United Express'. Two questions:

1. I presume the flight on 'Air Wisconsin DBA United Express' counts as 'United Express' and hence United metal?
2. Is there anyway around the requirement of having to fly the 4 segments? I currently live in Copenhagen, hence flights on United Metal are not easy to come by . In 2023 and beyond I expect to live in Seattle where I might then benefit from United Status.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
UAX counts. No waiver in 2022 for the 4 UA segments (was waived in 2021)
Old Jun 28, 2022, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mikmort
In 2022 I have flown SAS Business Class multiple times which I've credited to United MileagePlus. I should have enough PQPs to quality for Premier Platinum, but currently have zero segments actually on United metal. It appears that I need 4 segments on United Metal to qualify for status. I have a trip planned where I would be flying on 'Air Wisconsin DBA United Express'. Two questions:

1. I presume the flight on 'Air Wisconsin DBA United Express' counts as 'United Express' and hence United metal?
2. Is there anyway around the requirement of having to fly the 4 segments? I currently live in Copenhagen, hence flights on United Metal are not easy to come by . In 2023 and beyond I expect to live in Seattle where I might then benefit from United Status.
1. Yes
2. No, unless you have lifetime status.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 8:57 am

Programs: Alaska MVP GOLD, Delta Medallion Gold
Thank you very much for the quick replies!

With my current travel plans I'd end up with 3 segments on United Metal and 10,000+ PQPs. It would be very frustrating to end up with no status at all .
Old Jul 12, 2022, 6:01 am

Programs: SPG, AA, Delta Skymiles
Hello,

Apologize in advance if this has been asked before, but now I have enough PQF and PQP to reach elite status this year. However I have only 3 flights on United metal, so short of 1 to qualify for Premier Silver. I have a pretty long flight scheduled in a few weeks, and I would like to maximize my miles earning and upgrade opportunity by qualifying for Elite before this flight.

In short, I wanted to book a cheap flight just to qualify for the 4 flight United metal requirement. My question is if United BASIC economy will do for the United metal requirement (as it does not count for PQF) or I would need to book a regular economy ticket?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.