Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Minimum of 4 United flights/segments for Premier Status-Post your questions here

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 2, 2017, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Wooglin
UA waiving four segment requirement for non-U.S. residents (in 2021 for 2022 status) expired

UA Premier four (4) segment rule
To be eligible to qualify for any Premier level, you must fly a minimum of four paid flight segments on flights operated by United and/or United Express during a calendar year.
  • Four (4) paid or award (not award) flight segments operated by UA/UX (Award tickets qualify as of 2023)
  • Flight segment needs to be credited to UA MP to qualify
  • Codeshares operated by UA qualify
  • Codeshares operated by other airlines / partners do not qualify
  • Can be on any ticket stock (do not need to be sold by UA)
  • Basic Economy (N) fares do not now count (regardless of elite status) (BE segments now qualified -- starting Dec 2018)
  • A flight segment is each flight between two airports as purchased (direct flights -single flight number with a stop - that credits as 1 PQF, counts as one segment)
  • Original Routing Credit, when applicable, can be used
  • The requirement is waived for Chase MileagePlus Presidential Plus Card or a Chase United MileagePlus Club Card primary credit card holders ceased in 2020
  • Not required for Lifetime status (aka Million Miler status)

Related thread: Hitting the 4 UA Metal Segment Requirement - how to find cheapest option?

Print Wikipost

Minimum of 4 United flights/segments for Premier Status-Post your questions here

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2018, 11:43 pm

How does ORC Impact 4 Segment Requirement

Hey FTers,

I have a colleague that primary flies *A with most of his flights being on non-UA metal (i.e. AC or LH). He's currently a Platinum member on MP and is eager to re-qualify to Gold next year albeit he hasn't set foot on a single UA/UX flight this year. In a few weeks he'll be flying DEL to YYZ (via EWR) entirely on UA/UX metal which coincidentally will earn him the 4 segment requirement along with the 30,000+ PQM.

The only concern I have for him is what happens if he gets rebooked on a *A partner (i.e. AC) due to IRROPs (i.e. he misconnections on his EWR -> YYZ and gets rebooked on AC), would he still get the 4 segments on UA/UX metal or would it count the IRROP segment as a non-UA/UX segment? If the IRROP causes him not to qualify for the 4 segment requirement on UA/UX, could he claim ORC on the whole thing to ensure he got the 4 segment requirement since he was originally booked on all UA/UX metal and it wasn't his fault that he was pushed off a flight?

Safe Travels,

James
Old Jun 4, 2018, 12:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by j2simpso
If the IRROP causes him not to qualify for the 4 segment requirement on UA/UX, could he claim ORC on the whole thing to ensure he got the 4 segment requirement since he was originally booked on all UA/UX metal and it wasn't his fault that he was pushed off a flight?
ORC is exactly that -- Original Routing Credit. They will remove any credit for the replacement flights and replace it with his ticketed flights. That should take care of the UA segment requirement. As you suggest, it wouldn't be his fault that he didn't fly UA in that case, so he's not penalized for it.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 7:10 pm

the 4 segments minimum...

I am a mileage plus million miler and hence lifetime gold. Do I have to fly on United - 4 segments minimum every year to retain my gold status. ? any helpful response will be appreciated and thanked in advance.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 7:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by NAREN10216
I am a mileage plus million miler and hence lifetime gold. Do I have to fly on United - 4 segments minimum every year to retain my gold status. ?.
No.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 11:48 am

United Premier flying segments

Hello,

I'm considering switching to Mileage Plus, and have a question regarding the premier flying segments. I've seen that in order to gain any premier status, 4 United segments are required. On the other hand, when flying Business/First there is a 1.5 PQS.

If I meet all the PQD and PQM needs, am I required to fly 4 actual segments? Or is flying 3 Business/First (4.5 PQS) enough (e.g., SFO->EWR->FRA->SFO)?

Thanks,
Joe
Old Sep 7, 2018, 11:57 am

Flying 3 in First/Business Class is enough.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Yellowjj
Flying 3 in First/Business Class is enough.
Are you certain? I can't find that anywhere in the rules. The specific quote is "To be eligible to qualify for any Premier level, you must fly a minimum of four paid flight segments on flights operated by United and/or United Express during a calendar year."
Old Sep 7, 2018, 12:11 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jjoe123
If I meet all the PQD and PQM needs, am I required to fly 4 actual segments? ...
Yes, it is not PQS but actual flight segments UA requires.
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 8:37 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Do UA operated flights booked through United Vacations (bulk fares) count towards 4 segment minimum?
Old Sep 7, 2018, 9:39 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Austin787
Do UA operated flights booked through United Vacations (bulk fares) count towards 4 segment minimum?
As long as they are mileage earning.

Such as Basic Economy tickets do not qualify.
Austin787 likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 7, 2018 at 9:47 pm Reason: link
Old Sep 25, 2018, 9:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, 6C AMB, HH Silver
Hi All,

Quick question... so it looks like with a little luck, paid F/J ticket from JNB-FRA-IAD, with return, will get me from Gold to 1K. But here's the rub. I will not have the 4 requisite segments on UA metal. I already have the waiver of the PQD's as I'm based in Africa, but the segments is an absolute. So the question is... will the 1K just sit there until the 4 segments are reached? The plan is to do a mini-run on my next trip to the States (November). Thanks for any confirmation on this.

FF
Old Sep 25, 2018, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by model_un
So the question is... will the 1K just sit there until the 4 segments are reached?
Yes. You'll keep your current status until you meet the four-segment requirement; as soon as those segments post, you'll become 1K.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 9:25 pm

WOW. Ok... so that mini-run is even more important... thanks Jsloan!
Old Sep 25, 2018, 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by model_un
Hi All,

Quick question... so it looks like with a little luck, paid F/J ticket from JNB-FRA-IAD, with return, will get me from Gold to 1K. But here's the rub. I will not have the 4 requisite segments on UA metal. I already have the waiver of the PQD's as I'm based in Africa, but the segments is an absolute. So the question is... will the 1K just sit there until the 4 segments are reached? The plan is to do a mini-run on my next trip to the States (November). Thanks for any confirmation on this.

FF
is 1K much use if you dont fly much UA metal?
Old Sep 25, 2018, 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingHighlander
is 1K much use if you dont fly much UA metal?
I've actually been thinking about it recently... the 1K really was a fluke... this last trip got me over 55K miles which just catapulted me.

I don't know how long I'll be in Africa... next assignment will (fingers crossed) be in the Americas.

But, let's say I was to stay in Africa or Asia for that matter, is there a *alliance partner that does not have some sort of "metal" requirement? on better put allows you to attain top tiers without touching their planes?

Thanks,

FF

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.