Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Minimum of 4 United flights/segments for Premier Status-Post your questions here

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 2, 2017, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Wooglin
UA waiving four segment requirement for non-U.S. residents (in 2021 for 2022 status) expired

UA Premier four (4) segment rule
To be eligible to qualify for any Premier level, you must fly a minimum of four paid flight segments on flights operated by United and/or United Express during a calendar year.
  • Four (4) paid or award (not award) flight segments operated by UA/UX (Award tickets qualify as of 2023)
  • Flight segment needs to be credited to UA MP to qualify
  • Codeshares operated by UA qualify
  • Codeshares operated by other airlines / partners do not qualify
  • Can be on any ticket stock (do not need to be sold by UA)
  • Basic Economy (N) fares do not now count (regardless of elite status) (BE segments now qualified -- starting Dec 2018)
  • A flight segment is each flight between two airports as purchased (direct flights -single flight number with a stop - that credits as 1 PQF, counts as one segment)
  • Original Routing Credit, when applicable, can be used
  • The requirement is waived for Chase MileagePlus Presidential Plus Card or a Chase United MileagePlus Club Card primary credit card holders ceased in 2020
  • Not required for Lifetime status (aka Million Miler status)

Related thread: Hitting the 4 UA Metal Segment Requirement - how to find cheapest option?

Print Wikipost

Minimum of 4 United flights/segments for Premier Status-Post your questions here

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2017, 5:57 am

Programs: UA 1k
Originally Posted by welltravelled88
Is the requirement waived or was it ever waived for non US residents ?

i am also certain i had seen this on the website when I logged in. And the PQD requirement also waived

but now I should be silver and am not, and there is no waiver on the site

did I just see it wrong before ? Was it ever waived ? Can it be waived for non US residents ?
You are confusing the PQD waiver for the minimum segment waiver. As non US residents, we don't have to meet the minimum spend requirements, but you still have to fly at least four UA operated flights each year between Jan 1st and Dec 31st. If you don't, you won't get Premier status.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 6:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by welltravelled88
Is the requirement waived or was it ever waived for non US residents ?
Nope...never waived for US residents. PQD, yes, but I don't think there's anything else, and definitely not the 4 segment rule, waived for non-US residents. Just a couple of CCs (Club Card and the no longer available Pres. platinum), but other than that no.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 7:45 am

This is only waived for credit card holders, not international residents. International only gets PQD waived
Old Aug 7, 2017, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by emcampbe
Nope...never waived for US residents. PQD, yes, but I don't think there's anything else, and definitely not the 4 segment rule, waived for non-US residents. Just a couple of CCs (Club Card and the no longer available Pres. platinum), but other than that no.
I must have dreamt about it then. Thanks
Old Aug 7, 2017, 9:44 pm
formerly 1984SW

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by steaminer
This is only waived for credit card holders, not international residents. International only gets PQD waived
To get more technical, and to quote from the Wiki on the other thread:

"Requirement is waived for Chase MileagePlus Presidential Plus Card or a Chase United MileagePlus Club Card primary credit card holders"

Other MP-branded credit cards do not qualify for the waiver.

And, MP VISA cards are only available to US residents, so the OP seems to not have that option, anyway.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by 1984SW

"Requirement is waived for Chase MileagePlus Presidential Plus Card or a Chase United MileagePlus Club Card primary credit card holders"

Other MP-branded credit cards do not qualify for the waiver.

And, MP VISA cards are only available to US residents, so the OP seems to not have that option, anyway.
It is possible to maintain an overseas address and a US address
Old Aug 14, 2017, 9:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by 1984SW

How does this work technically? I am probably not going to be able to make the 4 segment minimum this year, but I can get go apply for a new card, which is free for the first year(bonus!).

Will I need to call in after the card is activated? Anyone done this recently?

TIA
Old Aug 14, 2017, 10:08 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by raptor112011
How does this work technically?
Will I need to call in after the card is activated? ...
The 4 segment waiver is automatic, no calling needed.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The 4 segment waiver is automatic, no calling needed.
Awesome, so in theory, I could get approved for the card in October/November time and be in good shape for the year?
Old Aug 15, 2017, 7:34 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by raptor112011
Awesome, so in theory, I could get approved for the card in October/November time and be in good shape for the year?
I would be careful about waiting too late. Generally it should only take a few weeks -- but I would not want to deal with it in case it took 6-8 weeks.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
I would be careful about waiting too late. Generally it should only take a few weeks -- but I would not want to deal with it in case it took 6-8 weeks.
That's fair. Thanks much!
Old Nov 25, 2017, 4:13 pm
get

UA Premier 4 Segments Minimum

I understand it may sound rare, I have enough PQM and PDQ for UA Silver but I have 0 of 4 segments required for any premier level because the flights I flew were operated by LH even though my ticket number starts with 016. Will I still qualified for UA Silver next year? If not what strategy should I use to get UA silver, or is it even worth it?

FYI my home airports are SMF and SFO.
Old Nov 25, 2017, 4:19 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
No, and silver status won’t be worth much beyond the extra 2 RDM/$ if you aren’t flying UA.
Old Nov 25, 2017, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by get
I understand it may sound rare, I have enough PQM and PDQ for UA Silver but I have 0 of 4 segments required for any premier level because the flights I flew were operated by LH even though my ticket number starts with 016. Will I still qualified for UA Silver next year? If not what strategy should I use to get UA silver, or is it even worth it?

FYI my home airports are SMF and SFO.
You need the Chase credit card. Could get tricky since wording appears to imply you need to have it at time of qualification - not sure if it can be applied after acquiring the requisite PQDs/PQMs.

"If you hold a MileagePlus Presidential Plus Card or a United MileagePlus Club Card, you are exempt from the four-segment minimum as long as you are the primary Cardmember and your Credit Card account is in good standing at the time of qualification."
Old Nov 25, 2017, 4:28 pm

Programs: United Platinum, Chase Presidential Plus
Things that are useful about silver: E+ seat 24 hours before your flight, group 2 check-in (though you can get this with a credit card), very occasional upgrade on a domestic flight, plus the extra 2 miles per dollar spent on your flight. Is this worth flying 4 segments for? No, given most of these benefits are useless if you only fly LH.
krazykanuck likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.