Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Minimum of 4 United flights/segments for Premier Status-Post your questions here

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 2, 2017, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Wooglin
UA waiving four segment requirement for non-U.S. residents (in 2021 for 2022 status) expired

UA Premier four (4) segment rule
To be eligible to qualify for any Premier level, you must fly a minimum of four paid flight segments on flights operated by United and/or United Express during a calendar year.
  • Four (4) paid or award (not award) flight segments operated by UA/UX (Award tickets qualify as of 2023)
  • Flight segment needs to be credited to UA MP to qualify
  • Codeshares operated by UA qualify
  • Codeshares operated by other airlines / partners do not qualify
  • Can be on any ticket stock (do not need to be sold by UA)
  • Basic Economy (N) fares do not now count (regardless of elite status) (BE segments now qualified -- starting Dec 2018)
  • A flight segment is each flight between two airports as purchased (direct flights -single flight number with a stop - that credits as 1 PQF, counts as one segment)
  • Original Routing Credit, when applicable, can be used
  • The requirement is waived for Chase MileagePlus Presidential Plus Card or a Chase United MileagePlus Club Card primary credit card holders ceased in 2020
  • Not required for Lifetime status (aka Million Miler status)

Related thread: Hitting the 4 UA Metal Segment Requirement - how to find cheapest option?

Print Wikipost

Minimum of 4 United flights/segments for Premier Status-Post your questions here

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2016, 4:25 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by tashi
So I will remain gold even if I dont fly at all? the 4 flight minimum doesnt matter?
Yes.

However, bear in mind that if there were no activities in 18 months, your RDM will expire.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PTahCha
Yes.

However, bear in mind that if there were no activities in 18 months, your RDM will expire.
Unless, as someone pointed out above about the 4 flight minimum, if you have the right Chase CC your RDM never expire as long as the CC account is in good standing and open.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 8:23 am

Originally Posted by blueman2
Unless you hold the United Club Card which removes the 4 flight requirement.
Where is this mentioned in the T&C, can't find anything about it.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Tazmania
Where is this mentioned in the T&C, can't find anything about it.
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con.../PQD-FAQs.aspx

Members must fly at least four paid flight segments operated by United or United Express® during a calendar year to qualify for any Premier status. In 2016, members who hold a United MileagePlus Presidential PlusSM or Club Credit Card are exempt from the four-segment minimum as long as they are the primary Cardmember and their Credit Card account is open and not in default at the time of qualification.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 4:41 am

Thanks, probably need new glasses

Applied via United with first year fee waived, got approved within a second
Old Sep 29, 2016, 3:33 am
Original Member

Programs: DL, AF and KL - UA - *G
Question 4 UA segments for premier qualifying - any suggestions?

Hi,

unfortunately I was not able to fly the 4 segments required to qualify for premier on UA yet.

I guess UA is not going to wave that requirement for me - as I live in Europe.

Anyway I do have a 10 hour layover in MIA from 10am to 8pm on a saturday - is there any way to get the 4 segments in - for an affordable price in that time-frame?

I might have a 24 hour layover in MIA early next year...any suggestions on a quick and affordable run to get the segments in for the next year?

It would be nice to qualify for *GOLD again - but it must be reasonable to do so - as the benefits are not worth to spend a ton of money and/ or time....

A CC waver is not an option as US CC offers are not available in Europe.....

Thank you everybody for your help and input!
Old Sep 29, 2016, 4:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
It would be easier if you are in a UA hub. UA has limited flights out of Miami.

I was thinking you may be able to do Miami-Houston-Austin and back, your windwo of 10 am to 8 pm are not within the UA scheduled flights. UA used to (many years ago) have MIA-MCO UA/UX flights, and you could do 4 segments within the 10 am to 8 pm window.

If you have 24 hours, you can also do MIA-EWR-DC and back, but it all depends on which 24-hour window you are restricted to.

If you are flying out of EWR, ORD and SFO, there are a number of short UX flights will get you the 4 segnments.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 4:28 am

Originally Posted by Germanfflyer
Anyway I do have a 10 hour layover in MIA from 10am to 8pm on a saturday - is there any way to get the 4 segments in - for an affordable price in that time-frame?
If you could delay your departure from MIA by a day to make it 36 hours instead of 12, that would help a lot. Otherwise, it just does not seem to be enough time to make four segments, even if you could drive to, say, FLL or PBI.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 4:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
No waiver on segments if you live abroad, just on PQDs which is fair enough as, as you point out, the ccs are not available to those of us who live abroad.

Can you change your inbound/outbound flights to MIA to UA? If so, then you will automatically pick up the segments since they will go through a UA hub.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 4:49 am
Original Member

Programs: DL, AF and KL - UA - *G
Originally Posted by lhrsfo

Can you change your inbound/outbound flights to MIA to UA?
No unfortunately not...I am swimming ...ehhh taking a cruise-ship.....
Old Sep 29, 2016, 9:30 am

Programs: 1 thousand
Just wondering, are the segments counted as _real_ segments or PQS? Flying first will give you 1.5 PQS (as opposed to 1 PQS), but that still doesn't make it much easier, seeing as you'd still need at least 3 flights (better than 4 I guess).
Old Sep 29, 2016, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by televisor
Just wondering, are the segments counted as _real_ segments or PQS? Flying first will give you 1.5 PQS (as opposed to 1 PQS), but that still doesn't make it much easier, seeing as you'd still need at least 3 flights (better than 4 I guess).
Four BIS segments, no multiplier.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 9:41 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Can you find a cheap r/t TATL flight sometime between now and the end of the year? Long weekend trip from Germany to NYC or Chicago, perhaps?
Old Sep 29, 2016, 9:55 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Germanfflyer
Hi,

unfortunately I was not able to fly the 4 segments required to qualify for premier on UA yet.

I guess UA is not going to wave that requirement for me - as I live in Europe.

I might have a 24 hour layover in MIA early next year...any suggestions on a quick and affordable run to get the segments in for the next year?

It would be nice to qualify for *GOLD again - but it must be reasonable to do so - as the benefits are not worth to spend a ton of money and/ or time....

A CC waver is not an option as US CC offers are not available in Europe.....

Thank you everybody for your help and input!
Is there a reason you want to maintain UA status versus LH? If you live in Germany and don't fly 4 segments a year on UA I don't see the point in having UA status.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 9:56 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Originally Posted by sammyindc
Is there a reason you want to maintain UA status versus LH? If you live in Germany and don't fly 4 segments a year on UA I don't see the point in having UA status.
Since *G (Senator) on LH requires 100,000 status miles per year while UA (Gold) only requires 50,000 PQMs?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.