Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA waiving four segment requirement for non-U.S. residents (in 2021 for 2022 status)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA waiving four segment requirement for non-U.S. residents (in 2021 for 2022 status)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2021, 5:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis

I just got an email that United is waiving the four segment requirement for non-U.S. residents.

We know international travel continues to be particularly difficult as a result of COVID-19, making it harder for you to fly on our network as much as you have in the past. For this reason, we are crediting your account with the United® flight segments you need to meet the 4 segment minimum required for 2022 Premier® status. This effectively waives that requirement for members like you, who had an account address outside of the United States as of January 1, 2021.* You'll see this credit in your MileagePlus® account in the next 2‑3 days.

Keep in mind that this does not change the requirement to earn Premier qualifying flights (PQF). You reach Premier status through a combination of PQF and Premier qualifying points (PQP) or by meeting a higher PQP goal, and you can earn PQF and PQP by flying on United, a Star Alliance™ partner carrier, or other eligible partners.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2021, 5:49 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
There you go Australians and Canadians - start flying to New Zealand and Vancouver to Toronto......

Europeans can LH - Japanese ANA, etc
restlessinRNO and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Apr 30, 2021, 5:58 pm

Programs: UA AU MM,HH Diamond,Hyatt Globalist , Marriott Gold
I got the email too. Apparently they think Ohio isn’t one of the 50 states (they said my address was out of the US).
Old Apr 30, 2021, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Translation: take it or leave it.
Old Apr 30, 2021, 6:07 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Repooc17
Translation: take it or leave it.
I think it is a fair compromise. Even if you are uncomfortable flying today, international fliers have the entire rest of year to get some flights in with a *A partner.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2021, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
I think it is a fair compromise. Even if you are uncomfortable flying today, international fliers have the entire rest of year to get some flights in with a *A partner.
I agree. By way of the below, UA appears to signal no more extensions; hence my take it or leave it post.

Keep in mind that this does not change the requirement to earn Premier qualifying flights (PQF). You reach Premier status through a combination of PQF and Premier qualifying points (PQP) or by meeting a higher PQP goal, and you can earn PQF and PQP by flying on United, a Star Alliance™ partner carrier, or other eligible partners.
Old Apr 30, 2021, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
I agree. By way of the below, UA appears to signal no more extensions; hence my take it or leave it post.
I did nt read it that way -- I read that they're not going to give away PQF, but they can certainly continue to give away PQP like candy.
rankourabu likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2021, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by trm2
I got the email too. Apparently they think Ohio isn’t one of the 50 states (they said my address was out of the US).
Take what you can get!
Old Apr 30, 2021, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
I did nt read it that way -- I read that they're not going to give away PQF, but they can certainly continue to give away PQP like candy.
PQF? I don't think most people other than my craziness are going step onto 36+ paid UA flights, especially given all of the bonus PQPs the last 2Qs. Also, the difference between lower PQP threshold w/PQF and higher PQP threshold w/o PQF is not that big with overall reduction in requirements.

UA seems to be telegraphing the message of - we are giving you the key, we don't even want your money (directly), but you still have to fly/spend with other carriers (and credit to us) to qualify/re-qualify. And, no more free handouts (extensions).
J_Stroming likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2021, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Flying AC easily domestically easily earns in excess of 3 PQP/USD spent, and I am sure we havent seen the last of PQP bonuses/giveaways for 2021. So for Canada, yes, a fair compromise. For the rest of the world (think Asian/Australian/European elite) probably not far enough.
Old Apr 30, 2021, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I got it in NYC as well. I had international UA address 20 years ago but had moved back to NYC since. Had you ever had international address?
Old Apr 30, 2021, 7:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Accor Platinum, Marriott Gold, Delta Silver, Hilton Gold
And, no more free handouts (extensions).
That's fair, I just wish United recognized customers who qualified in 2020 despite the extension.
I finished 2020 with 42 PQF and 14,462 PQP and got the same 3,750 PQP as 1Ks who didn't fly at all last year.
And PlusPoints I can't use internationally because of US restrictions from Europe and Brazil.

Unfortunately, this segment waiver doesn't help me at all.
Old Apr 30, 2021, 7:04 pm

Programs: UA AU MM,HH Diamond,Hyatt Globalist , Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by TerryK
I got it in NYC as well. I had international UA address 20 years ago but had moved back to NYC since. Had you ever had international address?
I’ve only ever had addresses in the US.
Old Apr 30, 2021, 7:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Meanwhile I'm in Canada and did not receive such email. Either way this has zero impact on me as I already fly UA almost always so the 4 segment requirement is no issue. Also this won't make me book TPAC flights on AC or NH because the travel restrictions remain.
Old Apr 30, 2021, 7:45 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by TerryK
Do either of you not yet have the 4 UA segments?
If no, will be interesting to see if you get the credit.

Email is one thing but credit is what would be most interesting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.