Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Minimum of 4 United flights/segments for Premier Status-Post your questions here

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 2, 2017, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Wooglin
UA waiving four segment requirement for non-U.S. residents (in 2021 for 2022 status) expired

UA Premier four (4) segment rule
To be eligible to qualify for any Premier level, you must fly a minimum of four paid flight segments on flights operated by United and/or United Express during a calendar year.
  • Four (4) paid or award (not award) flight segments operated by UA/UX (Award tickets qualify as of 2023)
  • Flight segment needs to be credited to UA MP to qualify
  • Codeshares operated by UA qualify
  • Codeshares operated by other airlines / partners do not qualify
  • Can be on any ticket stock (do not need to be sold by UA)
  • Basic Economy (N) fares do not now count (regardless of elite status) (BE segments now qualified -- starting Dec 2018)
  • A flight segment is each flight between two airports as purchased (direct flights -single flight number with a stop - that credits as 1 PQF, counts as one segment)
  • Original Routing Credit, when applicable, can be used
  • The requirement is waived for Chase MileagePlus Presidential Plus Card or a Chase United MileagePlus Club Card primary credit card holders ceased in 2020
  • Not required for Lifetime status (aka Million Miler status)

Related thread: Hitting the 4 UA Metal Segment Requirement - how to find cheapest option?

Print Wikipost

Minimum of 4 United flights/segments for Premier Status-Post your questions here

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2018, 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by model_un
But, let's say I was to stay in Africa or Asia for that matter, is there a *alliance partner that does not have some sort of "metal" requirement? on better put allows you to attain top tiers without touching their planes?
Not sure what the value of hitting anything above *G is if you don't plan to fly that airline....BUT I think getting the United Club Card waives the 4 segment requirement (at least it did in 2017, the united.com website still says "for 2017", so not sure if it's true in 2018).

So for $450 you get 50,000 RDMs and access to all *A lounges including UCs, and also waive the segment requirement. Might be cheaper than your segment run in November, and available now.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 11:00 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingHighlander
is 1K much use if you dont fly much UA metal?
I'm not who you were asking but I'm a 1K though I live in Europe. I was based in the US (where I first got 1K) and LH/LX/SN wouldn't do a status transfer (not really a status match). I don't fly enough to get Hon, but do fly enough to maintain 1K. I asked here and most people agreed that switching to M&M wasn't worth it.

Even when flying non UA metal, I get to use the lounges (including the Hon's ones that I wouldn't get into even with a J ticket otherwise), priority check-in/security, extra luggage and can use GPU on LH and NH (only done on LH so far).
@model_un - I hit 100K before my fourth UA metal flight. It kept saying that I had achieved any status for 2019 (I was already 1K from last year) until I got my fourth flight and I jumped straight to "you've achieved 1K for 2019). Most of my flights are Europe-Africa, you may be looking at SSA or ET if you're mainly doing inter-Africa. I don't know if they have segment minimums, but LH/LX are harder to hit Gold with than UA.

ETA - I was thinking MileagePlus in general, not 1K (and I know that I'd get all of that (other then the GPU) with just Gold). In my case, I was already 1K and it just seems better to stick with the one programme (though I'm also Gold on with FlyingBlue at this point).

Last edited by frontenac551; Sep 26, 2018 at 1:20 am
Old Sep 25, 2018, 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by threeoh
Not sure what the value of hitting anything above *G is if you don't plan to fly that airline....BUT I think getting the United Club Card waives the 4 segment requirement (at least it did in 2017, the united.com website still says "for 2017", so not sure if it's true in 2018).

So for $450 you get 50,000 RDMs and access to all *A lounges including UCs, and also waive the segment requirement. Might be cheaper than your segment run in November, and available now.
Pretty sure that isn't available to non-US residents.

Last edited by frontenac551; Sep 26, 2018 at 2:56 am Reason: Missed a word
Old Sep 26, 2018, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by frontenac551
Pretty sure that isn't available to non-US residents.
Sure, but I have no idea where model_un claims residency. Sounds like they used to live in the US and visit often, so quite possibly they still have residency there.

I thought this nifty $450 way of avoiding the four segment minimum might be useful to them or possibly others reading the thread later.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 8:41 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, 6C AMB, HH Silver
Originally Posted by threeoh
Sure, but I have no idea where model_un claims residency. Sounds like they used to live in the US and visit often, so quite possibly they still have residency there.

I thought this nifty $450 way of avoiding the four segment minimum might be useful to them or possibly others reading the thread later.
So... "claim residency" is a curious thing... I requested a waiver for PQD purposes, as I am currently deployed in Africa. But my "legal residency" is still good 'ol USA. So not sure how that plays out.

The question is, is the four-segment minimum waiver still in effect...

FF
Old Sep 27, 2018, 8:58 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, 6C AMB, HH Silver
Can someone please confirm if the current United Club Card offer waives the 4-UA metal segment rule? I've looked on their site, but not finding any mention.

Thanks, FF

OK... found this:

Waiver for four-segment minimum

If you hold a MileagePlus Presidential Plus Cardfootnote* or a United MileagePlus Club Card, you are exempt from the four-segment minimum as long as you are the primary Cardmember and your Credit Card account is in good standing at the time of qualification.

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...r/qualify.html

Going to test...

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 27, 2018 at 12:45 pm Reason: merged update / consecutive posts by same member
Old Sep 27, 2018, 10:38 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond
It does. I have the card and it says 4 segment minimum waived in my premier progess page.
model_un likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 10:50 am

Programs: UA MP
Yes, the 4 segment UA minimum is waived for those with the MP Club card, another benefit is the PQD waiver up to Platinum with certain CC spend.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 11:02 am

Yes, residency is in an insanely complicated issue, especially for those working abroad but who still have a domicile in their home country. You could easily qualify for the Club Card and still qualify for the PQD waiver. I would be surprised if United had enough left-hand right-hand coordination to notice, but if they did they might object. Or they might not.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 8:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Amex Plat, UA Club Card, National EE, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓
Family member has 32 PQMs this year (PQD doesn’t apply). She only had 1 segment on United this year and no flights coming up this year.

If she applies for United Club Card, would she meet 4 segment required criteria and get United Silver status or is it too late? Trying to understand if United Club Card needs to be in place when 25k PQMs milestone is crossed to obtain status or if it can be obtained later to gain status.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 9:28 pm

Thanks for the response. I think I was just impatient and the PQM/PQD come off the future flights calculation prior to hitting the earned points status.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 11:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, TK Elite, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Hi there,
I booked / ticketed following ticket on United.com.
Outbound: UA 8561/ UA 8414
Inbound: UA 8415/ UA 8214
All flown on Air Canada. I only got credited for 2 out 4 for "United" flown
flights towards my Gold level re-qualification. Is that correct ? Should it
be 0 or 4 ? Since none of them were United metal flights ? PQD was calculated
for all 4 flights...So I am confused. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 14, 2018 at 12:19 am Reason: moved to master thread
Old Nov 13, 2018, 11:29 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by flyalways
Hi there,
I booked / ticketed following ticket on United.com.
Outbound: UA 8561/ UA 8414
Inbound: UA 8415/ UA 8214
All flown on Air Canada. I only got credited for 2 out 4 for "United" flown
flights towards my Gold level re-qualification. Is that correct ? Should it
be 0 or 4 ? Since none of them were United metal flights ? PQD was calculated
for all 4 flights...So I am confused. Thanks in advance.
As these were all "international flights" on AC, BOS-YYZ-BOM, these would earn UA PQDs, PQMs and PQSs on all paid segments. How long as this been?
Have you filed for missing flight credit?
Old Nov 14, 2018, 12:08 am

Programs: AA EXP, TK Elite, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
As these were all "international flights" on AC, BOS-YYZ-BOM, these would earn UA PQDs, PQMs and PQSs on all paid segments. How long as this been?
Have you filed for missing flight credit?
I did get all the miles but my question was about United flown flights. I am required to fly at least
4 per year. I was only credited 2/4 out of these 4 segments. Is that correct ? That was my
question....
Old Nov 14, 2018, 12:13 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by flyalways
I did get all the miles but my question was about United flown flights. I am required to fly at least
4 per year. I was only credited 2/4 out of these 4 segments. Is that correct ? That was my
question....
None of them should have qualified -- the 4 segment requirement is for UA operated flights of which none of these qualified.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.