Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Minimum of 4 United flights/segments for Premier Status-Post your questions here

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 2, 2017, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Wooglin
UA waiving four segment requirement for non-U.S. residents (in 2021 for 2022 status) expired

UA Premier four (4) segment rule
To be eligible to qualify for any Premier level, you must fly a minimum of four paid flight segments on flights operated by United and/or United Express during a calendar year.
  • Four (4) paid or award (not award) flight segments operated by UA/UX (Award tickets qualify as of 2023)
  • Flight segment needs to be credited to UA MP to qualify
  • Codeshares operated by UA qualify
  • Codeshares operated by other airlines / partners do not qualify
  • Can be on any ticket stock (do not need to be sold by UA)
  • Basic Economy (N) fares do not now count (regardless of elite status) (BE segments now qualified -- starting Dec 2018)
  • A flight segment is each flight between two airports as purchased (direct flights -single flight number with a stop - that credits as 1 PQF, counts as one segment)
  • Original Routing Credit, when applicable, can be used
  • The requirement is waived for Chase MileagePlus Presidential Plus Card or a Chase United MileagePlus Club Card primary credit card holders ceased in 2020
  • Not required for Lifetime status (aka Million Miler status)

Related thread: Hitting the 4 UA Metal Segment Requirement - how to find cheapest option?

Print Wikipost

Minimum of 4 United flights/segments for Premier Status-Post your questions here

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2017, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Getting the credit card is a no brainer in this scenario, considering the miles benefits, low fee and silver status. It's not much, but a premier is still a premier.
Old Nov 25, 2017, 4:47 pm
get

Let me clarify, I fly UA also, mainly the SFO-HKG route around twice a year. But I used to credit to SQ for *A status and the recent huge devaluation of from SQ makes me just short of *A silver. Therefore I started to credit my recent LH flight to UA and now I am surprised to see this segment requirement. I am an occasional flyer and I won't be flying LH much for next few years.

Thanks for the replies, the MileagePlus Presidential Plus Card is no longer open for application and the Club Card has a steep annual fee, not sure if it's worth it?
Old Nov 25, 2017, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by get
Let me clarify, I fly UA also, mainly the SFO-HKG route around twice a year. But I used to credit to SQ for *A status and the recent huge devaluation of from SQ makes me just short of *A silver. Therefore I started to credit my recent LH flight to UA and now I am surprised to see this segment requirement. I am an occasional flyer and I won't be flying LH much for next few years.

Thanks for the replies, the MileagePlus Presidential Plus Card is no longer open for application and the Club Card has a steep annual fee, not sure if it's worth it?
the entry level one I think its the mileageplus explorer card is a lower fee, I think 85. Usually can find an offer for bonus miles after x spend or 1st year fee waiver.
Old Nov 25, 2017, 5:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by get
I definitely wouldn't pay the $400+ for Silver status.
Originally Posted by drew in the air
the entry level one I think its the mileageplus explorer card is a lower fee, I think 85. Usually can find an offer for bonus miles after x spend or 1st year fee waiver.
But not eligible for the 4-segment waiver.
Old Nov 25, 2017, 5:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
You need the Chase credit card. Could get tricky since wording appears to imply you need to have it at time of qualification - not sure if it can be applied after acquiring the requisite PQDs/PQMs.

"If you hold a MileagePlus Presidential Plus Card or a United MileagePlus Club Card, you are exempt from the four-segment minimum as long as you are the primary Cardmember and your Credit Card account is in good standing at the time of qualification."
The first CC listed is no longer open to applications and the second one has a $550 annual fee (although first year is sometimes waived). If the OP isn't even flying UA, paying $550 for Silver seems like money poorly spent.

EDIT: Oops, several additional replies since I opened the thread.
Old Nov 25, 2017, 5:49 pm
formerly FrequentFlyKid

Programs: United Global Services, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, National Executive Elite
Your best option is a cheap MR that has a connection each way. Done and done.
Dublin_rfk likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2017, 6:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
There's SMF-LAX with a layover in SFO with same-day return for $150 or less on a lot of days in Dec.
Old Nov 25, 2017, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by get
... and now I am surprised to see this segment requirement.
Cant recall exactly when the segment requirement started, but almost certainly more than 5 years ago..could have been well earlier. Should not be a surprise to anyone who has considered getting UA status in that time. Also clearly noted on the mystatus portal, and should be in your account summary on UA.com as well.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 4:14 am
formerly 1984SW

Programs: UA
Do flight segments flown in Basic Economy count toward the four UA-metal segments requirement?

Whoops! Just read the WIki again, and see that BE segments do *not* count,

Last edited by wpcoe; Nov 26, 2017 at 4:34 am
Old Dec 23, 2017, 12:04 pm
formerly Goflyer100

Programs: DL Platinum Medallion - Hilton Diamond
I found flights on AMS-IAD-SEA-ORD-AMS operated by UA but booked with LH flight number in K class. Will those segments count towards the UA 4 segment requirement? And how will I receive the miles? Based on fare class or ticket price?
Old Dec 23, 2017, 12:18 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Goflyer100
I found flights on AMS-IAD-SEA-ORD-AMS operated by UA but booked with LH flight number in K class. Will those segments count towards the UA 4 segment requirement? And how will I receive the miles? Based on fare class or ticket price?
The flight number/label is of no importance.
For all UA operated flights credited to UA MP
- you will earn lifetime miles
- you will receive segment credit (to the 4 segment requirement)
- PQMs will be based on UA fare class and UA rules
- PQDs will be earned regardless of ticket stock
- RDMs will be based on segment PQDs and status
Old Dec 23, 2017, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Not relevant here, but for anyone else reading this: Basic Economy (United fare class N) is an exception to #1-4. It’s not currently possible to purchase a Basic Economy ticket with a codeshare, but who knows what the future may bring.

In this case, WineCountryUA is correct; even though LH flights in K class wouldn’t earn miles, UA flights in K class do, and this itinerary will meet the segment requirement.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 1:02 pm
formerly Goflyer100

All right. So all fare classes are eligible to earn miles? Not sure if this is in K class but I guess so.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 1:20 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Goflyer100
All right. So all fare classes are eligible to earn miles? Not sure if this is in K class but I guess so.
If UA operated codeshare, all paid fares
Old Dec 23, 2017, 2:35 pm
formerly Goflyer100

If UA operated codeshare, all paid fares
Perfect, thanx! I just booked my flights so I'm on my way for the first 12K PQMs and the 4 UA segment requirement.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.