FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a United 764 [767-400] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1418731-everything-you-want-know-about-where-sit-united-764-767-400-a.html)

IAH-OIL-TRASH Apr 26, 2018 10:59 am

Originally Posted by zagat2 (Post 29686379)
I would like to sleep from Newark to London on a 9 PM flight. Traveling solo, and 2 D and 4D are both available. Is there a preference, for sleeping, or in general?

Almost a wash, but I would lean towards 4D. 2D would have very slightly less bathroom traffic, but it's closer to galley.

WineCountryUA Apr 26, 2018 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH (Post 29686463)

Originally Posted by zagat2 (Post 29686379)
I would like to sleep from Newark to London on a 9 PM flight. Traveling solo, and 2 D and 4D are both available. Is there a preference, for sleeping, or in general?

Almost a wash, but I would lean towards 4D. 2D would have very slightly less bathroom traffic, but it's closer to galley . .

Agree but would gladly take either.

Will point out that some light sleepers (not me) have commented on D seats being next to two aisles.

meraki Apr 29, 2018 9:26 am

I'm flying Polaris (LHR-EWR) in a few weeks and need opinions on "best" seat. I usually like the window seat when flying economy/e+ but people have said the middle seat in Polaris offers a bit more privacy, which I kind of like the idea of. It's a daytime-to-evening trip so I don't plan to sleep and I'm not terribly tall either so neither would factor into which is "best" for me. So my main criteria is comfort and as much privacy as I can get on a plane with 24 other Polaris flyers haha

cartman757 Apr 29, 2018 9:34 am

Hi, could anyone confirm if seats 17A or 18A have a window you can see out of without leaning forward please? I'm flying this aircraft for the first time from LHR-EWR (I used to fly from BHX before the service was dropped last October) in a couple of weeks, and I like to film the take-offs and landings but I can't find a definitive answer on whether this seat has a window you can actually see out of when sitting normally!

I never used to have this problem flying the 757-200 BHX-EWR as all seats had windows!!

Many thanks for any replies :)

pbartp May 5, 2018 6:38 am

Originally Posted by fumje (Post 29647211)
I can't say for certain, but I don't believe this version will have foot cutouts, given that it would come out of the lavatory space.

The version I flew on this week did NOT have cutouts. If you are close to 6' and want to really stretch out, I would take a regular E+ seat over these.

elitefreak May 9, 2018 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by elitefreak (Post 29351343)
Best choice please and why? Thanks.

Just flew 16K EWR-MXP and I like the 16 row. Indeed, the window seats are missing a window and this gives a better wall to lean/sleep against. I was kind of jealous about my seatmate in 16L as I had to endure bumping from the aisle/passengers/carts to my left as well as playing elbows with my seatmate on the shared center armrest to the right. On the window, I would have the window armrest and can lean past the seat to the wall without getting bumped as I would by leaning into the aisle from K.

I also feel that L is a bit more private. Plus there is plenty of room to get up and step over your seatmate, so not being on the aisle isn't really a big issue.

Plus it is quite easy to sneak into the FC restroom that is directly in front of you (as happened fairly frequently during the flight). Not that I would ever do that . . .

I just talked myself into switching to 16L for my return Saturday . . .

Does anyone know if the swing-up monitor is the same screen size as the back of seat ones at non-bulkheads?

mehitabel Jun 5, 2018 7:49 pm

767-400ER EWR-EZE -- which seat in business?

I couldn't find an "everything you wanted to know" thread for the 767-400ER--apologies if I missed it. I had to book a last minute EWR-EZE trip tomorrow (Wed), and am currently in 6D. It's a 2-1-2 configuration. There were only a few D seats left, but plenty of the two-seaters on either side. Suggestions? Is a solo D seat better than a window (my usual preference) with an empty seat next to it? Not that they're likely to stay empty, but still.

As bonus, I'll get to check out the EWR Polaris lounge for a few hours :)

MBS MillionMiler Jun 5, 2018 7:53 pm

I’d grab 1D for the bigger footwell now. (Still shows available).

Maybe watch just before departure—I’m guessing several side pairs will go out empty tomorrow, as they did today (just departed). One you know non-revs, upgraders and other stand-bys have cleared, ask at the gate just before boarding for your “own row”.

mehitabel Jun 5, 2018 8:00 pm

Thank you! I decided against 1D because I really need to sleep, and 1D seemed possibly noisy. I'm not large, vertically or horizontally, so the larger footwell seemed less important. Is that seat otherwise significantly better? The idea of asking a FA for an unoccupied row at check-in is a great one.

Kacee Jun 5, 2018 8:06 pm

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...767-400-a.html

Originally Posted by mehitabel (Post 29833691)
I'm not large, vertically or horizontally, so the larger footwell seemed less important. Is that seat otherwise significantly better?

The bulkheads are considerably better for sleeping on this aircraft because the seats are very short and the footwells are very small. Also, the lavs are at the rear of the business class cabin, so 1D is less noisy than it would otherwise be.

If you want a window, pick 1A. You'll be insulated from aisle traffic there.

ETA: Wow, booked only 11/39 with check-in already open and no one waitlisted.

mehitabel Jun 5, 2018 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 29833711)
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...767-400-a.html

The bulkheads are considerably better for sleeping on this aircraft because the seats are very short and the footwells are very small. Also, the lavs are at the rear of the business class cabin, so 1D is less noisy than it would otherwise be.

If you want a window, pick 1A. You'll be insulated from aisle traffic there.

ETA: Wow, booked only 11/39 with check-in already open and no one waitlisted.

Thanks again. I switched to 1D, and will keep an eye on the pairs. The flight is indeed remarkably empty--I flew the same route in March (in E+), and it was just about full. The direct EZE flights out of IAH seem more popular, and it's now getting toward winter in Argentina, so I guess the tourist traffic has fallen off.

bowzer91 Jun 20, 2018 10:48 am

On UA921 on Friday 22/6. Does 8A have a missing window? If yes, I will change. If not, should I still change?

science_guy Jun 30, 2018 8:08 am

Pass-through row? Boeing 767-400ER Seats 28DEF

Looking for some community feedback here...

I recently flew to Greece (EWR-ATH) via United on a Boeing 767-400ER, I booked Row 28 Seats DEF assuming my family would enjoy the extra legroom in the bulkhead for the longish flight. It turns out that passengers interpret this extra legroom as an option to pass between the right and left aisles of the plane to get to an open bathroom. This was very disruptive, as passengers tripped over our feet, stumbled on items on the floor during flight, and grabbed the TV screens in an attempt top stabilize themselves. At one point in the flight I'd had enough, was trying to fall asleep, and In a groggy haze, I actually told a passenger I wasn't going to let him walk across :)

To me, it's pretty clear that this space shouldn't be used for passage; seems pretty rude and one can just wait a few minutes longer to use the bathroom on your side of the plane (emergencies excluded of course). Interestingly, before take-off, a flight attendant asked me to get the attention of a flight attendant on the other side of the plane, even when I told her she could walk over through the bulkhead and get his attention. She said something along the lines of "people shouldn't be using this space to walk across the plane". I'm paraphrasing...

So what does everyone think: Is this a bona fide area for passengers to pass across the plane? I'm guessing the opinions on etiquette may be mixed, but I'm also wondering if there's an official policy on the area in front of these seats...

fumje Jun 30, 2018 8:19 am

Yes, I think that is a bit rude. However, since there is no other mid-cabin crossover point, it has to be policed actively to stop people from doing it. That is unfortunate.

kirkwoodj Jun 30, 2018 8:30 am

Once in the air, get down a bag to use as a leg rest.
or "accidentally" trip the rude $%^&s! :D

RockyRobin Jun 30, 2018 8:31 am

I'm glad I'm not alone, in a similar vein we chose the exit row on an A321 which has a similar gap but it's on a single aisle aircraft.

the area seemed to be a favourite place to come and stand for a while and on two occasions to bring a screaming infant to! I was close to asking if one person had lost their seat or if they needed directions to the galley.

zitsky Jun 30, 2018 8:36 am

Originally Posted by RockyRobin (Post 29923261)
I'm glad I'm not alone, in a similar vein we chose the exit row on an A321 which has a similar gap but it's on a single aisle aircraft.

the area seemed to be a favourite place to come and stand for a while and on two occasions to bring a screaming infant to! I was close to asking if one person had lost their seat or if they needed directions to the galley.

You didn't say anything?

escapefromphl Jun 30, 2018 9:23 am

Originally Posted by science_guy (Post 29923218)

So what does everyone think: Is this a bona fide area for passengers to pass across the plane? I'm guessing the opinions on etiquette may be mixed, but I'm also wondering if there's an official policy on the area in front of these seats...

These are just kettles who don't know any better, I agree best option is to get a roll aboard to completely block the area. The situation is typically made worse by FA's who don't like passengers coming through the galley.

RockyRobin Jun 30, 2018 9:49 am

Originally Posted by zitsky (Post 29923277)
You didn't say anything?

If it's had been a longer flight I think I would have.

EWR764 Jun 30, 2018 10:59 am

The lack of a crossover in Y and J lavs aft of 2L/R make the 764 configuration pretty awkward.

IAH-OIL-TRASH Jun 30, 2018 11:14 am

Originally Posted by EWR764 (Post 29923613)
The lack of a crossover in Y and J lavs aft of 2L/R make the 764 configuration pretty awkward.

Yeah, the space in front of 1D on a 764 also can be a hallway during boarding if not blocked. Really annoying is when someone uses it during the flight. Passing in front of 1D is OK, but not 2D?

fezzington Jun 30, 2018 12:13 pm

It's an awful configuration.

If you're ever on it again, ask the FAs if they're willing to put up the bassinets for you during cruise. It helps if you bundle some blankets to look like a baby as no one wants a screaming child on a flight ;)

zitsky Jun 30, 2018 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by fezzington (Post 29923759)
It's an awful configuration.

If you're ever on it again, ask the FAs if they're willing to put up the bassinets for you during cruise. It helps if you bundle some blankets to look like a baby as no one wants a screaming child on a flight ;)

I don't know. I really enjoy screaming children on my flights. 🤣

StuckinITH Jun 30, 2018 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by kirkwoodj (Post 29923256)
or "accidentally" trip the rude $%^&s! :D

Are you related to my wife? That's something she would do and then apologize profusely so the poor passenger who tripped would have no clue that she did it on purpose.

But we have been warned that the seats we chose on the 2-class 772 is also considered by some passengers as a pass-through. I will have to make sure she behaves......

coloflyer18 Jul 2, 2018 4:40 pm

It appears the last three rows of AB and the last two of KL are going away in the 767-400ER as of later this month. Does anyone know what's up? Making room for crew seats, perhaps? Would this tend to make 41AB (the new back row of AB) a more appealing or less appealing option?

FlytheTail Aug 10, 2018 8:55 am

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...bfb58b89aa.png

If you were 6'0" tall and fairly sensitive to noise, which seat would you choose? Aircraft swap for tonight from 763 to 764 and J is booked at 21/39. Thanks.

Kacee Aug 10, 2018 10:09 am

Originally Posted by FlytheTail (Post 30068098)
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...bfb58b89aa.png

If you were 6'0" tall and fairly sensitive to noise, which seat would you choose? Aircraft swap for tonight from 763 to 764 and J is booked at 21/39. Thanks.

I would keep 1A. The tiny footwell bothers me more than potential galley noise. These seats are really short.

FlytheTail Aug 10, 2018 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by FlyHighInTheSky (Post 27639529)
Are there air vents in J on this bird? I can't recall.

On the plane now. No, no air vents. The business seats are really crammed. Very disappointed in the late substitution of a UA 763 for a CO 764.

LY777 Oct 7, 2018 12:45 am

UA 767-400 in Y?

hi,
how are UA 764s in Y?

thanks

CMK10 Oct 9, 2018 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by LY777 (Post 30287384)
hi,
how are UA 764s in Y?

thanks

Better than some, worse than others. The 2-3-2 configuration is nice because if you're traveling as a couple you can get a two seat block to yourself. Also you can do what I like to do which is pick an aisle in E+ and hope for an empty middle. They have decent enough PTVs and the planes are newer than the 763s and some of the 777s so they're fairly pleasant inside. Here are some pictures from one I flew in 2015:

https://photos.smugmug.com/Other/Ber...IMG_0247-L.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/Other/Ber...IMG_0256-L.jpg

findark Oct 9, 2018 9:30 pm

IMO (assuming no empty seats) the 767s are the best ride on United in Y, except for the E45s.

elitefreak Dec 5, 2018 8:21 am

Originally Posted by elitefreak (Post 29351343)
Best choice between 16K and L please and why? Thanks.

I normally book aisle seats but I'm thinking that 16K is a bit exposed to aisle traffic. I think I read that L has no window so this gives a nice wall to sleep against. Plus it appears that the legroom is plenty to be able to get around my K seatmate.

Anyone have comments to keep me in K instead of L?

pbartp Dec 5, 2018 11:25 am

Since it is at the front of the cabin, I think the only "traffic" you'll experience will be when cabin crew are doing a drink/meal service (i.e. not that often).

elitefreak Dec 5, 2018 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by pbartp (Post 30501981)
Since it is at the front of the cabin, I think the only "traffic" you'll experience will be when cabin crew are doing a drink/meal service (i.e. not that often).

I agree, but for sleeping, I'm thinking that the window affords a place to lean against and less disruptions from aisle traffic/carts/etc.

fumje Dec 5, 2018 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by elitefreak (Post 30502468)
I agree, but for sleeping, I'm thinking that the window affords a place to lean against and less disruptions from aisle traffic/carts/etc.

I always choose a window seat anyway, but if I want to sleep, I always always choose a window seat.

UA_Flyer Dec 5, 2018 2:14 pm

Are the 764s getting Polaris seats?
I seem to remember reading in this forum that they will, but United website does not have 764 listed.

Kacee Dec 5, 2018 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer (Post 30502647)
Are the 764s getting Polaris seats?
I seem to remember reading in this forum that they will, but United website does not have 764 listed.

I'm pretty sure everything except the 772G is eventually getting them. Though I seem to recall speculation that some of the 763s would be retired rather than reconfigured.

findark Dec 5, 2018 6:53 pm

I think the 764s are down there with the 787s though for being last in line.

dingo Apr 7, 2019 7:41 pm

It appears that my flight from EWR - AMS in June is on a 767-400 and it appears that this equipment now has the Polaris seats. Any recent experience on the hard or soft product on the 767-400ER.

Kacee Apr 7, 2019 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by dingo (Post 30976409)
It appears that my flight from EWR - AMS in June is on a 767-400 and it appears that this equipment now has the Polaris seats. Any recent experience on the hard or soft product on the 767-400ER.

Sorry, no 764s have true Polaris seats. It's either a reconfigured 763, or you're mistaking old seat for new. The new seats are blue on the seatmap, the old ones are orange.