FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a United 764 [767-400] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1418731-everything-you-want-know-about-where-sit-united-764-767-400-a.html)

nikolastojsin Dec 4, 14 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by Germanfflyer (Post 23940305)
Hello,

I am looking at an empty BF seat map...which row would you recommend to have a quite ride and have space ?

Row 1 or better in the middle row 4?

Thank you for your input!

It depends on how much one cares about foot-well size. I am relatively tall (6'2"), size 12, so first row is a must. That means, if alone, 1D (bulkhead is pretty wide, so it shields from the light and the noise IMHO).

NYC Private Equity Feb 10, 15 2:51 pm

Economy Plus Seats in a 764

Anyone fly in a row 16 economy plus seat (bulkhead) on a 764? Saw they are behind the F galley and in proximity of a bizfirst bathroom. Any other downsides? Would it make sense to switch to a regular Econ Plus? Thanks in advance.

schnitzer Feb 10, 15 6:38 pm

so, I've got the chance to fly this bird for the very first time, surprised to see an airbag in my seat belt! is this a factory optional for just this bird? do other airlines have them too? I normally fly 747, 777.

wto605 Feb 11, 15 10:38 am

Originally Posted by NYC Private Equity (Post 24326011)
Anyone fly in a row 16 economy plus seat (bulkhead) on a 764? Saw they are behind the F galley and in proximity of a bizfirst bathroom. Any other downsides? Would it make sense to switch to a regular Econ Plus? Thanks in advance.

I've flown it domestically... as bulkhead seats go the legroom is on the smaller side of standard.

Originally Posted by schnitzer (Post 24327179)
so, I've got the chance to fly this bird for the very first time, surprised to see an airbag in my seat belt! is this a factory optional for just this bird? do other airlines have them too? I normally fly 747, 777.

What seat were you in? It has been required safety equipment for the pmCO J seat as long as I can remember (and is thus equipped on all such seats). On other carries the use of airbags in Y has been extensive at bulkhead seats (and others that don't have the benefit of a seat in front) but I haven't seen any on UA.

schnitzer Feb 11, 15 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by wto605 (Post 24331212)
What seat were you in? It has been required safety equipment for the pmCO J seat as long as I can remember (and is thus equipped on all such seats). On other carries the use of airbags in Y has been extensive at bulkhead seats (and others that don't have the benefit of a seat in front) but I haven't seen any on UA.

I was sitting in 1A.. it looked like every J seat had an airbag. I didn't get to see the Y cabin tho.

JoesRevenge Feb 11, 15 2:01 pm

I know this has been discussed to death, but I have a flight to MUC on this bird and am choosing between 2AB or 1KL. Its an overnight flight and I would like to sleep, but then again I like the extra footwell space - my wife and I are both around 6ft tall.

Knowing this, what would you recommend (is it better to sacrifice foot space for less light/chatter)?

WineCountryUA Feb 11, 15 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by JoesRevenge (Post 24332994)
I know this has been discussed to death, but I have a flight to MUC on this bird and am choosing between 2AB or 1KL. Its an overnight flight and I would like to sleep, but then again I like the extra footwell space - my wife and I are both around 6ft tall.

Knowing this, what would you recommend (is it better to sacrifice foot space for less light/chatter)?

the light/chatter is solvable with eye masks/earplugs --- go for the foot space.

njxbean Feb 15, 15 3:32 pm

Trying to decide between row 28 and row 17. Any thoughts on this?

1readyset2go Mar 6, 15 11:45 am

I need some help trying to pick the best E+ seat on the 767-400. We are Going from FCO-EWR. For me any E+ seat that might have a slight edge in leg room is my preference as I am 6' 2". Right now we are in the last row of E+ (28 k,l) and this is the exit row. Thanks!

wto605 Mar 6, 15 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by 1readyset2go (Post 24465725)
I need some help trying to pick the best E+ seat on the 767-400. We are Going from FCO-EWR. For me any E+ seat that might have a slight edge in leg room is my preference as I am 6' 2". Right now we are in the last row of E+ (28 k,l) and this is the exit row. Thanks!

Row 28 A/L have one downside: the slide protrudes from the exit door in front of you. While it isn't as bad as the 757 (due to being a bit further from the door) this is a large bulge that requires angling somewhat awkwardly. Personally I shy away from these seats, but if you're OK with the tradeoff there's plenty of leg room.

1readyset2go Mar 6, 15 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by wto605 (Post 24466946)
Row 28 A/L have one downside: the slide protrudes from the exit door in front of you. While it isn't as bad as the 757 (due to being a bit further from the door) this is a large bulge that requires angling somewhat awkwardly. Personally I shy away from these seats, but if you're OK with the tradeoff there's plenty of leg room.

well it would be my wife that would have the window and I always take the aisle. She is much shorter than me so maybe it would not be as big a deal?

swodog94 Apr 14, 15 4:55 pm

Flying IAD->FCO in 4A/B with the wife. Anybody heard anything bad about those seats?

wto605 Apr 14, 15 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by swodog94 (Post 24665588)
Flying IAD->FCO in 4A/B with the wife. Anybody heard anything bad about those seats?

With the exception of bulkheads having larger foot-wells and the general "proximity to the galley" at either end there's nothing exciting (good or bad) about any of the BF seats on this config. If one of you is tall and/or a side sleeper I would suggest double checking for a bulkhead pair because it's the difference between this and this

swodog94 Apr 15, 15 10:14 am

Originally Posted by wto605 (Post 24666217)
With the exception of bulkheads having larger foot-wells and the general "proximity to the galley" at either end there's nothing exciting (good or bad) about any of the BF seats on this config. If one of you is tall and/or a side sleeper I would suggest double checking for a bulkhead pair because it's the difference between this and this

Thanks for the info!

In The 216 Apr 20, 15 3:57 pm

Another Row 16 Questions...

There is a lot of information here regarding Row 16. Let me help continue to beat the dead horse...

Does anyone happen to have a picture of Row 16? I am interested in how much room there is from the front edge of the seat to the wall? I am curious as to whether a person who is 6'1" or 6'2" is going to feel like it's tight even though the pitch is greater than other seats in E+ because of the wall with nowhere to put your feet. Additionally, are the tray tables and PTV's in the armrest and, if so, if the seat width reduced noticeably from other E+ seats?

wto605 Apr 22, 15 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by FrequentFlyKid (Post 24694011)
There is a lot of information here regarding Row 16. Let me help continue to beat the dead horse...

Does anyone happen to have a picture of Row 16? I am interested in how much room there is from the front edge of the seat to the wall? I am curious as to whether a person who is 6'1" or 6'2" is going to feel like it's tight even though the pitch is greater than other seats in E+ because of the wall with nowhere to put your feet. Additionally, are the tray tables and PTV's in the armrest and, if so, if the seat width reduced noticeably from other E+ seats?

I'm 5'11" and while I wouldn't call it roomy (for example sliding forward in your seat and extending your legs is probably not possible) but it isn't cramped. As for the seat width I'd say the setup (similar on the 763s and TATL 752s) is definitely noticeable, but no different than the domestic table-in-armrest seats you see in exit/bulkhead rows. Personally I'm not a fan on overnights since it makes various sleeping angles less comfortable.

I only sat in 764 row 16 once, domestically, a few years ago... so my memory is hazy, but I think this was the flight were I was able to prop my backpack against the bulkhead and put my feet on it. Pretty much the most comfortable I've been in E+.

zitsky May 1, 15 9:36 am

If you recline your seatback fully in Y, can the person behind you see/access their AVOD screen?

wto605 May 1, 15 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by zitsky (Post 24749996)
If you recline your seatback fully in Y, can the person behind you see/access their AVOD screen?

Yes. While the don't tilt (like the DTV on 737s) the screens have a very broad viewing angle (and face in a slightly upwards direction in the first place). I (as well as my taller siblings who are >6') have had no problem viewing the screen on a fully reclined seat even when sitting fully upright.

GrizNation May 3, 15 10:52 am

Is seat 1B usually blocked for airport assignment or does it open up at check in?

wto605 May 3, 15 8:42 pm

IIRC 7D is crew rest, so 1B is probably just your standard blocked seat. I would expect it to open up at T-24, but cannot speak from recent experience.

c2u4ze2im May 4, 15 6:44 am

FWIW - I flew 1A in Nov 2013 IAD-FCO on this aircraft. I purchased my ticket well in advance, about 7 months, when the seat map was completely empty. Right after purchasing, I had been watching the seat map nearly every other day prior to departure. Seat 1B had remained blocked even up until T-24, with all other seats being filled in and claimed by T-24. Around T-6, 1B opened on the UA mobile app seat map. Right before the door closed, the seat map went full on the app, and an off-duty plain clothed cabin crew member boarded and sat in 1B the entire way to FCO.

nycityny May 30, 15 12:07 am

Service in 6D

I sat in 6D last year and had the feeling that I was getting served near last during most courses. I had thought that the back rows were serviced by the middle galley so that service would be fast. But flight attendants seemed to be making their way from front to back and serving the right and left sides more promptly than the D seats. Was this normal or an anomaly? I'll be flying the 764 again later this year. I like the D seat generally but didn't like the late service.

presario1626 Jun 30, 15 9:06 am

Originally Posted by PedroNY (Post 21324023)
So if it is 3 of us traveling, in Business First (2 parents + 1 child). Do you recommend A,B + D or D + K, L? Just wondering what people thing about that one. Appreciate it.

Best,

PedroNY

Seems nobody answered your question, do you have answer after your trip? As I have the same question... Also the rows are not aligned based on the seat map, is 2D closer to 2K or 3K?

wto605 Jun 30, 15 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by presario1626 (Post 25048219)
Seems nobody answered your question, do you have answer after your trip? As I have the same question... Also the rows are not aligned based on the seat map, is 2D closer to 2K or 3K?

The middle seats step out into the port side aisle, so you'd definitely want to pair with AB. As for row alignment I'm pretty sure it's off by about half a seat due to the closets (and one fewer seat) in the middle section.

If I recall correctly I think having the pair behind the single would be easier since 1) the single seat angles to port making it easier to look over ones should to speak, and 2) this will make it so the "B" seat is not blocking the line of sight between the A and D seats.

In other words: 2AB+1D, 3AB+2D, etc.

If that's not available I don't know whether 2DKL or 2D+3KL is better, there the alignment might be better with the latter while the angling would suggest the former.

CMK10 Jul 4, 15 10:50 am

Originally Posted by wto605 (Post 24466946)

Appreciate your post, I was trying to decide if I wanted to move out of my E+ Aisle to 28A and this convinced me to stay where I am ^

wxguy Jul 6, 15 4:24 am

I just had my first ride on the 767-400ER, in seat 1K. The light and noise from the galley was noticeable, even when the meal service was finished. While I appreciated the larger foot well, I think in the future I may go for a row further back.

And let's say I'm not impressed by the layout, especially the two lavs to the rear of the J cabin for use by 39 J pax plus crew.

jfkeze Jul 17, 15 1:23 am

Originally Posted by wto605 (Post 24760360)
IIRC 7D is crew rest, so 1B is probably just your standard blocked seat. I would expect it to open up at T-24, but cannot speak from recent experience.

1B opened up at the 24 hour mark on a recent HNL-EWR, no middle rows were available so grabbed it versus a seat in the back.
Now if only UA didn't play tricks and time the flight 10 minutes after the dinner cutoff time :rolleyes::mad: hehe

crimson117 Jul 23, 15 9:47 am

Originally Posted by jfkeze (Post 25129957)
1B opened up at the 24 hour mark on a recent HNL-EWR, no middle rows were available so grabbed it versus a seat in the back.
Now if only UA didn't play tricks and time the flight 10 minutes after the dinner cutoff time :rolleyes::mad: hehe

I'm taking this plane for EWL-HNL and HNL-EWR with my wife and 4-year old daughter.

Do you happen to know... row 28 DEF, does it have legroom enough for a child to play quietly on the floor? Or are these bulkhead seat overrated on this plane? I'm wondering if the ~$400 total upgrade for all three seats.

Also, what was the price to upgrade to first class for you at that 24 hour mark? (I'm a mile-less dreamer :) )

pbartp Jul 23, 15 12:55 pm

Row 28DEF is a standard bulkhead. I wouldn't say there is "extra" legroom. A small child might be able to sit on floor and use the seat cushion as a table, but they won't be able to do much other than that. It does give them a little extra room and I think it would be easier for adults to manage the child and not disrupt people in front of you.

crimson117 Jul 23, 15 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by pbartp (Post 25161762)
Row 28DEF is a standard bulkhead. I wouldn't say there is "extra" legroom. A small child might be able to sit on floor and use the seat cushion as a table, but they won't be able to do much other than that. It does give them a little extra room and I think it would be easier for adults to manage the child and not disrupt people in front of you.

Thanks! My last time flying with wife and daughter on this route was on HA51 JFK to HNL (A330); we snagged 11a and 11b which had SO much room. I'm guessing these wouldn't quite compare...

drewguy Jul 23, 15 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by wxguy (Post 25075486)
I just had my first ride on the 767-400ER, in seat 1K. The light and noise from the galley was noticeable, even when the meal service was finished. While I appreciated the larger foot well, I think in the future I may go for a row further back.

And let's say I'm not impressed by the layout, especially the two lavs to the rear of the J cabin for use by 39 J pax plus crew.

I recently was in 1L and had a similar impression. I felt the FAs could have done a better job of keeping the curtain closed. That said getting served first is pretty nice, as is the flat area on top of the monitors where you can place extra stuff during the flight (pillow, blanket, etc.)

transportprof Jul 23, 15 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by drewguy (Post 25163013)
I recently was in 1L and had a similar impression. I felt the FAs could have done a better job of keeping the curtain closed. That said getting served first is pretty nice, as is the flat area on top of the monitors where you can place extra stuff during the flight (pillow, blanket, etc.)

I found that FA's use the shelf in row 1 as a staging/storage area for snacks/supplies on 764 and 787 flights.

bizzarODog Sep 4, 15 8:42 am

flew on this bird for the first time yesterday when our 772 got swapped for a 764. I was in 16L, which is my favorite seat in Y+ on the pmco 777. I didn't have any issues with legroom (which was less than on the 772) but the proximity to the galley and BF lav was definitely a noticeable downgrade on the 764. The bait-switch was kind of a PITA

CruiserCLE Nov 5, 15 11:32 am

Can anyone recommend where to sit for a better shot at a preferred meal choice when seated in J? I'm taking a 764 domestically and will be coming onto the flight with no time to grab real food beforehand, and would at least like my preferred meal choice.

Thanks!

Anyone know from experience that can help me with this? Thanks in advance..

PsiFighter37 Nov 5, 15 11:37 am

Flying EWR-GVA in a few months - flying with my wife, so will be sitting on the side and not the middle seats. Would middle of the J cabin be best in terms of quiet / being able to get some sleep on the overnight?

SFO 1K Nov 5, 15 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by CruiserCLE (Post 25670309)
Anyone know from experience that can help me with this? Thanks in advance..

Meal choice is supposed to be prioritized so GS and 1K get their first choice, then front to back. So, the closer to the front you are, the better off you'll be. If the crew decides to ignore the GS/1K priority, then clearly, the closer to the front, the better.

cesco.g Nov 5, 15 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by jfkeze (Post 25129957)

This issue should be resolved by now, e.g. 1 Nov. 15

FBWFTW Mar 16, 16 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by wxguy (Post 25075486)

So Seatguru was accurate in depicting no lavs at the FRONT of the plane? I booked row 6 based on the pictorial and I'm looking for some confirmation on the location of the lavs-are they only in the back or are there a set in front as well?

Also I've got some other questions re the BF cabin/service "domestically" speaking (EWR-HNL/HNL-EWR)

-Do you get the nice pillow and blanket that's shown in photos online or is that only an international thing? (It seems like it might be since domestic is a red headed stepchild)
-Is row 6 too far back to get meal choices? (Only option is to go up to 5-we've got the whole row)

-I understand can the BF IFE screens have an "iPod connect" feature. Out of curiosity, does that include movies that I have loaded on my current gen iPad/iPhone? Sure would be nice to plug in and put the phone/iPad down!

If there are any other tips anyone has for a first time BF(J/F whatever the code is) customer riding on the 764 for 11 hours back and forth from EWR-HNL please let me know!

-Is channel 9 still a thing? (Hope so!)

windhund Mar 16, 16 4:05 pm

Yes, Seatguru is accurate -- there are no lavs in the front of the BF cabin on the 764, only the rear.

FBWFTW Mar 16, 16 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by windhund (Post 26342567)
Yes, Seatguru is accurate -- there are no lavs in the front of the BF cabin on the 764, only the rear.

Thanks so much! Seatguru as I'm sure folks here know well isn't always the best.