Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

DYKWIA stories (Travelling on United Airlines) (Archive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 30, 2024, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is DYKWIA stories (Traveling on United Airlines)
Print Wikipost

DYKWIA stories (Travelling on United Airlines) (Archive)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2018, 7:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AC SE, WJ Gold
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
Did you happen to see the UG list before the downgauge? It's entirely possible he lost the "revenue downgrade lottery" and also had a paid ticket -- though the fact that one UG showed cleared makes that unlikely [though it's also possible that that wasn't a true UG, e.g. some MP F award tickets will show up on the UG list]
I didn’t see the list. But, as you say, not too likely given the one was on the list.

Fair on the downgauge clarification ... but a pax can demand to still fly up front on next availability. So if you take the downgrade you are entitled to difference in fare compensation at least.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 10:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jmcintosh
I didn’t see the list. But, as you say, not too likely given the one was on the list.
On AC, a downguage can cause lost seat assignments, resulting in paid J appearing on the onload list (which populates the public upgrade list).

The result, when my flight was downgauged from a 767 to a 321, was that I appeared with a checkmark beside my name, even though I was paid J.

I don't know how UA's system works, but there are plenty of reasons someone can appear on a list, and they're not always obvious.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 7:53 pm
GDL

Programs: VB, UA, AM
Had a person throwing around the DYKWIA twice at beginning of UA 869 on 16Feb. Light loads in Y meant many folks, including myself, had whole rows to themselves in E+. Fella approaches me during boarding and tells me that I would have to switch my empty row (D,E,F,G seats) for his (J,K,L seats) because he is now a Platinum elite and he can choose whichever seat he wants in E+. I laughed at him, maybe even laughed a little too long. He proceeded to tell me I should be ready to move as soon as an FA came over and he'd tell them what his plan was. Of course that never happened. And then towards end of boarding he then gets into an argument with another passenger over the use of an overhead bin. According to Mr. Platinum, the bin is reserved solely for his use only, once again repeating the same line he tried to feed me--I am a Platinum elite.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
That's truly pathetic.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 1:17 am

Originally Posted by GDL
Had a person throwing around the DYKWIA twice at beginning of UA 869 on 16Feb. Light loads in Y meant many folks, including myself, had whole rows to themselves in E+. Fella approaches me during boarding and tells me that I would have to switch my empty row (D,E,F,G seats) for his (J,K,L seats) because he is now a Platinum elite and he can choose whichever seat he wants in E+. I laughed at him, maybe even laughed a little too long. He proceeded to tell me I should be ready to move as soon as an FA came over and he'd tell them what his plan was. Of course that never happened. And then towards end of boarding he then gets into an argument with another passenger over the use of an overhead bin. According to Mr. Platinum, the bin is reserved solely for his use only, once again repeating the same line he tried to feed me--I am a Platinum elite.
my repainse would have been “oh that’s cute. You just made platinum? I’ve already requalified for 1k this year. Now sit your ... in your assigned seat”
Old Feb 18, 2018, 2:06 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by GDL
My confusion from stories like this is that I suspect he truly thought what he was saying was true. So where do people get the idea that this would be the system? I personally believe humility can go a long way on these situations but no one can truly be that idiotic. Right?
Old Feb 18, 2018, 6:42 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
My confusion from stories like this is that I suspect he truly thought what he was saying was true. So where do people get the idea that this would be the system? I personally believe humility can go a long way on these situations but no one can truly be that idiotic. Right?
In particular, how did he reach Platinum with this idea in his head? It's like he somehow flew the 75k miles without ever stepping foot on an airplane.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 9:15 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
He must have read the wrong pamphlet of benefits when he made Platinum. Though even GS doesn't get the type of benefits he thought he had.
Perhaps his wife just made 2MM and this is his first time on a plane. His wife may have "slightly embellished" some of her travel stories.
Also, never discount the possibility of alcohol in his system.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 9:22 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by eng3
He must have read the wrong pamphlet of benefits when he made Platinum. Though even GS doesn't get the type of benefits he thought he had.
Perhaps his wife just made 2MM and this is his first time on a plane. His wife may have "slightly embellished" some of her travel stories.
Maybe thinking the ability to guest 8 people into E+ meant 8 E+ seats for him?
Old Feb 18, 2018, 10:19 am

Programs: UA GS ,QF Plat
I sat next to very fairly stroppy guy a few weeks ago who had window seat in E plus who gave me a little lecture on how disappointed he was that as a silver member his usual aisle
seat was not available, I was in the middle seat (my call to get home 5 hours earlier) . I acknowledged his disappointment and continued on kindle
Things get not get better for said pax after that when the purser came down , spoke to me and checked in a couple of times during the flight ,something that happens less than 10% of the time but for me but the timing could not have been worse, no more questions just serious huffing and puffing. On the second visit my seat mate asked the purser for drink, purser explained that her colleague would be along shortly....didn't help
Old Feb 18, 2018, 10:58 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by wanderingkev
... when the purser came down , spoke to me and checked in a couple of times during the flight ,something that happens less than 10% of the time ...
You mean during the normal course of serving drinks, etc, or that you specifically got some extra attention because of your status?
Old Feb 18, 2018, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
You mean during the normal course of serving drinks, etc, or that you specifically got some extra attention because of your status?
I assume extra attention for being a GS in Y.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 1:05 pm

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
Originally Posted by findark
I assume extra attention for being a GS in Y.
When i fly coach coast-to-coast, purser usually stops by with a drink or three and shows the flag. Nice touch
Old Feb 18, 2018, 4:43 pm

Programs: UA GS ,QF Plat
Status attention,which as mentioned happens rarely for me,
Old Feb 18, 2018, 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by wanderingkev
I sat next to very fairly stroppy guy a few weeks ago who had window seat in E plus who gave me a little lecture on how disappointed he was that as a silver member his usual aisle
seat was not available, I was in the middle seat (my call to get home 5 hours earlier) . I acknowledged his disappointment and continued on kindle
Things get not get better for said pax after that when the purser came down , spoke to me and checked in a couple of times during the flight ,something that happens less than 10% of the time but for me but the timing could not have been worse, no more questions just serious huffing and puffing. On the second visit my seat mate asked the purser for drink, purser explained that her colleague would be along shortly....didn't help
Isn't what you describe DYKWIA as well? "Look at me, I'm GS ... so I get all the attention"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.