Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

DYKWIA stories (Travelling on United Airlines) (Archive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 30, 2024, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is DYKWIA stories (Traveling on United Airlines)
Print Wikipost

DYKWIA stories (Travelling on United Airlines) (Archive)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2017, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Not sure what the fuss is over the dog sitting on the chair. I've noticed the majority of public use fabric seats have a variety of disgusting stains on them...
Dogs don't wipe or shake (at least mine don't). I don't think the stains you've noticed can compete.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 12:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Not sure what the fuss is over the dog sitting on the chair. I've noticed the majority of public use fabric seats have a variety of disgusting stains on them, and I don't think any of them came from dogs

Perhaps the better policy is a ban on gross people sitting on the seats?
If a dog wants a chair their owner can sit on the floor to even things out.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 1:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Dogs don't wipe or shake (at least mine don't). I don't think the stains you've noticed can compete.
...and this is why I carry a couple packs of Lysol wipes in my carry-on bag, most dollar stores have them in stock for $1 a pack, and I highly advise people to travel with them, and wipe, wipe, then wipe again, everything they will touch - leather seats or head rests, arm rests, IFE controls, air vents, window shade handles, table trays, lie flat seat shell interiors, etc etc - and I'm often surprised how many people start pulling out their own supply and start wiping after they notice me cleaning my seating area as if they needed a reminder or approval cue to begin.

A dog sitting in a lounge chair, or even on board in the cabin is the least of your worries, and is probably cleaner than most of the other human customers. Today's aircraft are literally flying toilets and it doesn't require a DYKWIA fit kicking up the 'you know what' to spread any of it around. The previous occupant of your seat could carry anything from the common cold, to norovirus to hepatitis...none of which are likely spread by a friendly doggie.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 4:17 pm

Programs: United 1K/1MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
FRA to EWR a couple of days ago. Standing in the group 1 boarding area (the longest line), a man in a business suit says to another that "clearly, based on the demographics of this line, MOST of THESE PEOPLE are in the wrong line." Hmmmm....okay.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 4:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Originally Posted by 1k-all-the-way
Paris Star alliance lounge. Man, wife, dog.... Dog is sitting on chair. club agent asks nicely that dog stay on floor for hygiene reasons/health laws. Man goes off about "medical animal" etc an refuses to move the dog. Argument takes place as I leave. See this same group getting on my UA flight, boarding early because of disability. Dogs role in this seemed unclear....didn't seem to interact with the humans at all, so along for the ride to eat croissants from what I can tell......
I'm kind of surprised this transpired in CDG; usually the French are much better about not putting up with this sort of nonsense, e.g. DYWKIA behavior. Aside from the croissants, it's one of the many reasons I love visiting there
Old Oct 30, 2017, 5:07 pm

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
...and this is why I carry a couple packs of Lysol wipes in my carry-on bag, most dollar stores have them in stock for $1 a pack, and I highly advise people to travel with them, and wipe, wipe, then wipe again, everything they will touch - leather seats or head rests, arm rests, IFE controls, air vents, window shade handles, table trays, lie flat seat shell interiors, etc etc - and I'm often surprised how many people start pulling out their own supply and start wiping after they notice me cleaning my seating area as if they needed a reminder or approval cue to begin.

A dog sitting in a lounge chair, or even on board in the cabin is the least of your worries, and is probably cleaner than most of the other human customers. Today's aircraft are literally flying toilets and it doesn't require a DYKWIA fit kicking up the 'you know what' to spread any of it around. The previous occupant of your seat could carry anything from the common cold, to norovirus to hepatitis...none of which are likely spread by a friendly doggie.
So true. I use Prep H wipes and wish i had something MUCH stronger
Old Oct 30, 2017, 8:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ecosse3
FRA to EWR a couple of days ago. Standing in the group 1 boarding area (the longest line), a man in a business suit says to another that "clearly, based on the demographics of this line, MOST of THESE PEOPLE are in the wrong line." Hmmmm....okay.
I get things like that at FRA and ZRH even being nearly pushed aside by Herr Humpty Dumpty and his rollerboard. I wear casual, but designer, clothes.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 12:07 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Waiting to board at PBI yesterday, and the gate area is very crowded. They board a few wheelchairs, and then as soon as the GA starts the announcment "families with children, uniformed military, ...", this dude barges to the scanner, scans his BP, while loudly announcing, "I'm a 1K! I get to board first!"
Old Nov 26, 2017, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by physioprof
Waiting to board at PBI yesterday, and the gate area is very crowded. They board a few wheelchairs, and then as soon as the GA starts the announcment "families with children, uniformed military, ...", this dude barges to the scanner, scans his BP, while loudly announcing, "I'm a 1K! I get to board first!"
LOL you would a think a 1K would have been properly conditioned already to know we are below GS and preboarding
Old Nov 26, 2017, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by physioprof
I would have jus started laughing loudly so the DYKWIA could hear and be looking at them. Then say loud enough, "don't you know 1K doesn't mean much anymore? You need to be Global Services."
Old Nov 26, 2017, 1:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
PBI, like FLL, rarely disappoint when it comes to these types of encounters.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 5:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AC SE, WJ Gold
Boarded CVG-DEN tonight ... plane must have been down-gauged from a 175-170 as I got a call earlier in the day asking if I was able to rebook (but couldn't). GA calls for a passenger who walks out from the G1/2 boarding line and spends a while at the desk. Boarding occurs. I'm in first as is a uniformed captain. Passenger who was called up by the GA boards and barks loudly "OH, you mean to tell me they downgraded me and gave a seat to an employee?!" The captain says, "I'm actually on a paid ticket."

Upgrade list shows 1 passenger in 1D upgraded ... captain is in 2D.

Passenger huffs back to Y.

Yikes. Want to ensure you sit in the J cabin? Buy an F, A, J, C, D, Z, or P fare (did I miss any in the alphabet soup?).
Old Feb 8, 2018, 6:48 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jmcintosh
Boarded CVG-DEN tonight ... plane must have been down-gauged from a 175-170 as I got a call earlier in the day asking if I was able to rebook (but couldn't). GA calls for a passenger who walks out from the G1/2 boarding line and spends a while at the desk. Boarding occurs. I'm in first as is a uniformed captain. Passenger who was called up by the GA boards and barks loudly "OH, you mean to tell me they downgraded me and gave a seat to an employee?!" The captain says, "I'm actually on a paid ticket."
To be fair, and not that the other passenger's behavior was appropriate in any case... the typical assumption for someone flying in uniform is that they're either nonrev commuting or deadheading; the crewmembers I know will go out of their way to avoid being in uniform [including changing in a crew lounge or restroom] when flying on their own revenue ticket to avoid that possible confrontation.

Did you happen to see the UG list before the downgauge? It's entirely possible he lost the "revenue downgrade lottery" and also had a paid ticket -- though the fact that one UG showed cleared makes that unlikely [though it's also possible that that wasn't a true UG, e.g. some MP F award tickets will show up on the UG list]

Originally Posted by jmcintosh
Yikes. Want to ensure you sit in the J cabin? Buy an F, A, J, C, D, Z, or P fare (did I miss any in the alphabet soup?).
Yep. But in a downguage situation that's not a guarantee. My first trip of the year had an enroute downguage where we stopped in ATL and swapped our E175 for an E170 before continuing to the intended destination... The GA's handling of that was odd in that rather than reseating the plane or even the F cabin, she just called 6 passengers (presumably paid F in fare bucket order based on when I was called) told people to "take any seat you want", then she called the rest of the pax who had been seated in first and hadn't defected to DL-operated flights or rental cars, gave them a voucher and told them to pick any seat in Y they wanted, and finally (though I was on board by then, from what I heard ) seemed to call the rest of the plane with a "find an open seat close to your original seat if it's taken"
Old Feb 8, 2018, 6:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc

Yep. But in a downguage situation that's not a guarantee. My first trip of the year had an enroute downguage where we stopped in ATL and swapped our E175 for an E170 before continuing to the intended destination... The GA's handling of that was odd in that rather than reseating the plane or even the F cabin, she just called 6 passengers (presumably paid F in fare bucket order based on when I was called) told people to "take any seat you want", then she called the rest of the pax who had been seated in first and hadn't defected to DL-operated flights or rental cars, gave them a voucher and told them to pick any seat in Y they wanted, and finally (though I was on board by then, from what I heard ) seemed to call the rest of the plane with a "find an open seat close to your original seat if it's taken"
That is SUCH an odd way of handling a downgrade. Doesn't it just create more problems than it solves?
Old Feb 8, 2018, 7:03 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by laxmillenial
That is SUCH an odd way of handling a downgrade. Doesn't it just create more problems than it solves?
Oh yeah... The FA and captain were baffled, especially since they were onboard waiting for us to board for about 45 minutes before we actually boarded -- they kept coming up the jetway to see what the holdup was. Quote from exasperated FA "What the hell was she doing all this time if she wasn't fixing seat assignments? We could have been [to our destination] by now if this is how we're going to handle seating."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.