Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

DYKWIA stories (Travelling on United Airlines) (Archive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 30, 2024, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is DYKWIA stories (Traveling on United Airlines)
Print Wikipost

DYKWIA stories (Travelling on United Airlines) (Archive)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2017, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
Before I was 1K I remember the FA taking the order of the window seat and then walking away. I stopped her and said "I'd like to have food also." She then said she would come back to me later. In hindsight I realize what happened but at the time it left a bad impression.
I agree. I really don't like it when they go around the cabin only asking GS, then 1K, then everyone else. It feels off, and makes those non-1Ks feel discriminated against. I much prefer the pmUA way where they just ask everyone (even GS) for a first/second choice, and then the 1K/GS just magically always get their first choice.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Originally Posted by porciuscato
Over the last year, the FAs have done extremely well with this. With one exception, they've never asked for my second choice. And they've been tactful about asking the person next to me for their in a way that did call attention to it.

No, for example, I have cholesterol issues, so if there is fish or something with lower fat, I absolutely want it. I also have allergies, so there are some things I just can't eat (or even have on the plate). So yeah, it is a big deal.
If it’s about dietary restrictions, of course it’s a big deal! But that should be regardless of status. A non-status member who is a vegetarian ending up with the side of beef is still not cool.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 7:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by wjb1969
I hope no one here would ever treat an FA the way this man did. He said, "I'm Global Services. I get my first choice. Tell the rest of these people they have to get in line behind me."
Make way for the King!

Originally Posted by JVPhoto
In hindsight I realize what happened but at the time it left a bad impression.
Yes, this always makes me a little uncomfortable.

I like it best when they actually ask me for a second choice. Like it's a little game only the FA and I am in on.

Originally Posted by zrs70
When people don’t get the first choice, are they more upset because don’t actually like the second choice or because they feel slighted that they aren’t elite enough?
I'm afraid it's often (though not always) the latter.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ok, with apologies to those who earn their *GS the hard way....

there's one sitting in front of me on a flight right now. The FA went through the spiel about the meal -- if you can't have your first choice, will you accept the burger?

I hope no one here would ever treat an FA the way this man did. He said, "I'm Global Services. I get my first choice. Tell the rest of these people they have to get in line behind me."

Great kudos to the FA who managed to avoid the world's biggest eyeball, which he would have deserved.

Please - let's be sure we don't treat people like this. And let's call each other out when we do.
That is a terrible way to remind the FA of the proper priority order. Courtesy goes a long way. UA can do better, but so can everyone else.

Originally Posted by S.R
Not supporting the way the GS behaved at all, but FA's should know better then to give this line to a GS. Seriously, look at the manifest, see he's a GS, and just take his order and move on because due to his status he does deserve his first choice, and the chance of there being enough other GS on board that he won't get his choice is low. No need to ask for a second choice or give this spiel.
Now I can see the issue of a GS sitting next to a non status pax. The FA might not want to say something different to each of them, but its the policy that GS and 1K should get first dibs.
Personally, if I was that GS, I would have just gone along with it and on the off chance that I didn't receive my first choice, I would write in about it.
Some FA's just don't follow policy.
I was on an A319 in 2F, which is technically the last seat to get the order taken. I'm a 1K. She said they only had one choice left. Now its possible that everyone before me was 1K or GS, but the chances of that aren't that high. She most likely did not follow policy.
On the A319 in 2F you may well have been behind seven other 1K/GS.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 9:58 pm

"I'm Global Services. I get my first choice. Tell the rest of these people they have to get in line behind me."
Yikes. Sometimes they know my status while asking for food and they'll just ask for my first choice. I always add "and if that's not available xx is OK too"... this is like the anti me.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 11:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Kacee
Like it's a little game only the FA and I am in on.
Im not GS or 1K, not even close. But this is so correct. Love it.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 1:43 am

Location: Rowley, MA / Edgartown, MA / Christiansted, St. Croix (USVI)
Programs: UA LT GS/4.96MM, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Platinum, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓, Korea SeS, APEC
IMHO there is no excuse for being rude. This has nothing to do status, it’s common courtesy.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 8:06 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
"Tell the rest of these people they have to get in line behind me."
Really actually said those words?
Old Oct 6, 2017, 8:59 am

Programs: Lost it all and don't care
I normally never eat in flight. The FA's often seem quite surprised.

Interesting thread overall.

Last edited by KDS777; Oct 6, 2017 at 9:20 am
Old Oct 6, 2017, 9:03 am

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by fumje
On the A319 in 2F you may well have been behind seven other 1K/GS.
Or perhaps paid F, if they still count for priority meal orders?

Agree with many others, that GS' comment was terribly rude.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 9:44 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by 1kBill
GS/1K have priority, regardless whether the ticket is award or revenue.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 9:45 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by 1kBill

Agree with many others, that GS' comment was terribly rude.
Nope, UG 1K/GS trumps revenue passenger for meal priority (or at least that's what I experienced as a plat on a paid (full fare, even) F just before earning 1K for the first time about 3 years ago). AFAIK, FAs don't have an easy way of seeing UG vs revenue -- just your status and that you're in that seat.

And agreed that that GS was out-of-the-ballpark rude.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 10:06 am

Programs: 3 MMer
Originally Posted by Kacee
GS/1K have priority, regardless whether the ticket is award or revenue.
... and I see this incident differently than many others!

With all of the hype as to how great GS customers are treated there was a little rudeness thrown the GS's way, too. The f/a, if doing things properly should have reviewed the manifest and addressed the GS by name and asked what his meal preference would be. No need to jump around the cabin, no need to start from front to back, or back to front, or even take the order after the rest of the crew decides what they want to eat. When the f/a got to the GS he should have been shown respect for his status, and when asked what he wanted from from the left-overs he spoke his mind. I really don't care what others say, and it would NOT be in my pay grade to be the judge.

Actually the insult was displayed when a guy that spends thousands was not shown respect for his status and his loyalty. The f/a and anyone else can do all the eye rolls they want as far as I'm concerned, as this was handled wrong from the get-go!
Old Oct 6, 2017, 10:31 am

Programs: United GS, MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Ok, with apologies to those who earn their *GS the hard way....

there's one sitting in front of me on a flight right now. The FA went through the spiel about the meal -- if you can't have your first choice, will you accept the burger?

Great kudos to the FA who managed to avoid the world's biggest eyeball, which he would have deserved.

Please - let's be sure we don't treat people like this. And let's call each other out when we do.
I thought this was me for a second. I had a flight yesterday where hamburgers were served.

My story's a bit different. FA went around taking orders from some passengers behind me when she did the PDBs, but didnt take mine. Thought nothing of it as I was in row 2 of a 738 and would probably get a choice.

When she was doing the dinner service, she asked me if I wanted the burger. I asked what the second choice was, and was told "Your second choice is McDonalds on the way home from the airport". I pressed a little asking if there wasnt any other choice, and got a blunt "nope". I didnt bother pressing the GS meal choice as it wast a big deal, but would've appreciated the choice.

Ended up with the burger while I saw salads get passed around to others.

I guess I stranded off topic sorry
Old Oct 6, 2017, 10:49 am

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Chukiechz
I thought this was me for a second. I had a flight yesterday where hamburgers were served.

My story's a bit different. FA went around taking orders from some passengers behind me when she did the PDBs, but didnt take mine. Thought nothing of it as I was in row 2 of a 738 and would probably get a choice.

When she was doing the dinner service, she asked me if I wanted the burger. I asked what the second choice was, and was told "Your second choice is McDonalds on the way home from the airport". I pressed a little asking if there wasnt any other choice, and got a blunt "nope". I didnt bother pressing the GS meal choice as it wast a big deal, but would've appreciated the choice.

Ended up with the burger while I saw salads get passed around to others.

I guess I stranded off topic sorry
This needs to be reported - the attitude and answer are totally unacceptable, and this FA needs a month off to reflect to on their lack of service acumen.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.