Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

DYKWIA stories (Travelling on United Airlines) (Archive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 30, 2024, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is DYKWIA stories (Traveling on United Airlines)
Print Wikipost

DYKWIA stories (Travelling on United Airlines) (Archive)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2016, 6:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Daniel-SYD
So I'm giving you an F, and sending you back to DYKWIA school. Honestly, you could have at least yelled out "Well, I'm waiting to be called by name before I move and you're allowed to board, DYKWIA?". Use emphasis as needed. That'd at least get you a B :-)
For the A: "Move aside, peasants."
Old Oct 26, 2016, 1:47 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM, CM PP
Originally Posted by Kacee
For the A: "Move aside, peasants."
[...while spitting on anyone who dares make eye contact]
Old Oct 26, 2016, 2:02 pm

Programs: UA/CO GS, PP, MM
Originally Posted by 1015-1k
[...while spitting on anyone who dares make eye contact]
And wheeling your roll-aboard luggage across their toes
Old Oct 26, 2016, 8:48 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by Eadward
Hey! It was an "accident"!!!
Old Oct 27, 2016, 12:46 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
The woman ahead of me seemed to not be able to get if off the plane without banging and catching on every row.
This was on an ATR so while we were in row 4/5 we had to exit from the rear. After about 3 snags I just picked it up and carried it for her.

Not DYKWIA but CYPCLYAATH (Can you please carry luggage you are able to handle)
Old Oct 27, 2016, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
Not DYKWIA but CYPCLYAATH (Can you please carry luggage you are able to handle)
I'm a short overweight not very fit woman. A few weeks ago as I was lifting my rollaboard into the overhead, I surprised the guy behind me who was reaching to help me (thank you kind sir) by getting it up there in one swift motion with only one hand. He looked very shocked so it was nice to tell him "I was taught to only bring with me what I could handle myself, but thank you for being willing to help." I frequently wish more people had been taught the same lesson I was, usually as I'm standing in line waiting for someone a few rows ahead to figure out how to get their carryon in the bin.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 8:33 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by wrp96
I'm a short overweight not very fit woman. A few weeks ago as I was lifting my rollaboard into the overhead, I surprised the guy behind me who was reaching to help me (thank you kind sir) by getting it up there in one swift motion with only one hand. He looked very shocked so it was nice to tell him "I was taught to only bring with me what I could handle myself, but thank you for being willing to help." I frequently wish more people had been taught the same lesson I was, usually as I'm standing in line waiting for someone a few rows ahead to figure out how to get their carryon in the bin.
That lesson is one quickly learned when you have to walk to the grocery store...
Old Oct 27, 2016, 9:07 am

Programs: UA/CO GS, PP, MM
Kudo's to you.

There are lots of folks who bring on the monster bag, can't get it overhead and just stand there until someone helps them. I don't mind helping but not everyone is so inclined. Or there may not be someone nearby who can help. Or who is paying attention. Traffic jams in the aisle ensue.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 9:47 am

Programs: United Gold, Hilton Silver, Hertz President's Circle
Kudo's to you.

There are lots of folks who bring on the monster bag, can't get it overhead and just stand there until someone helps them. I don't mind helping but not everyone is so inclined. Or there may not be someone nearby who can help. Or who is paying attention. Traffic jams in the aisle ensue.
Although this behavior isn't always DYKWIA. Sometimes it's just IDFVOAIDKWID (I don't fly very often and I don't know what I'm doing).
Old Oct 27, 2016, 2:19 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
I'm a short overweight not very fit woman. A few weeks ago as I was lifting my rollaboard into the overhead, I surprised the guy behind me who was reaching to help me (thank you kind sir) by getting it up there in one swift motion with only one hand. . .
This episode sounds surprisingly familiar. I'm pretty sure that was me.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 2:55 pm

Programs: UA MM (former 1K) - DL PM (former DM) - Marriott Platinum
...I surprised the guy behind me who was reaching to help me (thank you kind sir) by getting it up there in one swift motion with only one hand. He looked very shocked so it was nice to tell him "I was taught to only bring with me what I could handle myself, but thank you for being willing to help." I frequently wish more people had been taught the same lesson I was...
You. I like you.

Very well done. ^
Old Nov 2, 2016, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
A bit of a mea culpa here.

I was flying a regional flight on a CR7. I was in 1A and I couldn't remember the overhead configuration of the CR7. As an aside, we could really use more info on that - I'm not even sure they're the same for all UX carriers, etc. I'm usually on Embraers which, while also being wider, have the starboard bins in F extend out over the C seats and be full-size where a standard rollaboard will fit in the long way.

Anyway, really not wanting to wait for my bag on arrival, I dutifully liced the G1 line and dragged my bag on board. I learned that the F bins on this CR7 were terrible in that they were the half-width like Y over the starboard side, and the port side had no bin at all (!). But my bag fit easily in the bin sideways, and with my small backpack added, I more or less took up all the bin space for Row 1. I felt pretty bad about it, but I wasn't sure what the "fair" way to divvy up the shocking lack of bin space would be anyway. I looked the other way when the rest of the cabin boarded. A lot of stuff went back in row 2, but I don't think anyone ended up gate checking something they brought on board. I felt somewhat embarrassed as, on arrival, I retrieved my stuff and made my getaway.

Should I have gone back and gotten my bag green tagged? Or was the bin space just up for grabs, and it was fair game? I'm not sure. If I did it again I would at least have picked something like 2D and had the under-seat space available.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Maybe you could've seen if the FA could've stored your backpack in the closet? Have it at your feet after takeoff, then back in the closet for landing. I've seen it happen a few times on E175 flights.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
Maybe you could've seen if the FA could've stored your backpack in the closet? Have it at your feet after takeoff, then back in the closet for landing. I've seen it happen a few times on E175 flights.
Pretty sure CR7 doesn't have a closet. My coat rode on my lap (FA offered to put it in the bin, but there was no room )
Old Nov 2, 2016, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I guess I'm lucky I haven't had to take a CR7 in probably close to a decade.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.