Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

DYKWIA stories (Travelling on United Airlines) (Archive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 30, 2024, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is DYKWIA stories (Traveling on United Airlines)
Print Wikipost

DYKWIA stories (Travelling on United Airlines) (Archive)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2016, 1:48 pm

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
Originally Posted by Kacee
And a 99% chance he wouldn't care.
oh yeah. Paging Narcissus!
Old Sep 21, 2016, 4:04 pm

Programs: Lifetime UA GS 22 million,AA 1m ,Hilton Li fetime diamond,marriott lifetime platinum hyatt diamond
The person who claimed to be United's number one flyer was NOT me. 1] I wasn't on that flight. 2] I always book FC. 3] I would never claim to have flown 30,000 miles last month when my lowest month is 50,000 LOL. 4] I have too much respect for my fellow passengers and flight crew to EVER treat them like that. 5] I consider myself an ambassador of United and try to conduct myself in that manner. 6] I have never attended a stockholders meeting....too busy flying. 7] their is someone who tells everyone in the world he is number one. He has flown 5 million not 17.5 million. HE has a worldwide reputation of treating people like....well you know. I have begged him to stop because this is not the first time this happened...dozens!!!. some people out there must think the number one flyer is a jerk, and that bothers me to no end. His initials are RW should you run into him again. My reputation means a lot to me and I am so disappointed this happened....for everyone's sake. Safe travels all.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 5:21 pm

ua1flyer: I don't think anyone who has met you in real life would think that you would behave in the manner the purported "#1 United flyer" did.

Thanks for being a good ambassador for frequent flyers.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 5:27 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, DL SkyMiles, HHonors (Gold)
Originally Posted by physioprof
In my experience in a variety of public places and modes of conveyance, real cellphone shouters almost invariably get indignant if you ask them to tone it down, and just keep on shouting. Note that this is different from those who are just a bit loud: they are much more likely to be doing it unawares and by accident, and frequently will apologize and try to quiet themselves.

But UA Clubs are not public places. They are privately owned spaces on airport property and operated by United. Really, they are no different than any restaurant or bar.

In situations like this, this is why there are the Dragons. While discussed in another thread, very few people have actually encountered them as Dragons, this is, in fact, part of their job: to make sure there is peace and order inside the club. (I don't count the personnel who refresh the food area and clean the place, because they won't ever do anything.) Since some clubs are so large, the front desk staff won't know what is going on unless you tell them. They may not like having to dress down someone, but they know if asked they have to do it. A complaint was made and they have to fix the situation.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 6:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by manstein58
Paging Narcissus!
lmao!
Old Sep 21, 2016, 6:33 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by GSBEWR
But UA Clubs are not public places. They are privately owned spaces on airport property and operated by United. Really, they are no different than any restaurant or bar.

In situations like this, this is why there are the Dragons. While discussed in another thread, very few people have actually encountered them as Dragons, this is, in fact, part of their job: to make sure there is peace and order inside the club. (I don't count the personnel who refresh the food area and clean the place, because they won't ever do anything.) Since some clubs are so large, the front desk staff won't know what is going on unless you tell them. They may not like having to dress down someone, but they know if asked they have to do it. A complaint was made and they have to fix the situation.
Well said! ^
Old Sep 21, 2016, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ua1flyer
The person who claimed to be United's number one flyer was NOT me. 1] I wasn't on that flight. 2] I always book FC. 3] I would never claim to have flown 30,000 miles last month when my lowest month is 50,000 LOL. 4] I have too much respect for my fellow passengers and flight crew to EVER treat them like that. 5] I consider myself an ambassador of United and try to conduct myself in that manner. 6] I have never attended a stockholders meeting....too busy flying. 7] their is someone who tells everyone in the world he is number one. He has flown 5 million not 17.5 million. HE has a worldwide reputation of treating people like....well you know. I have begged him to stop because this is not the first time this happened...dozens!!!. some people out there must think the number one flyer is a jerk, and that bothers me to no end. His initials are RW should you run into him again. My reputation means a lot to me and I am so disappointed this happened....for everyone's sake. Safe travels all.
^^^
Old Sep 21, 2016, 7:27 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
8] You are ua1flyer and he is not <harrumph!>
Old Sep 21, 2016, 8:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Originally Posted by GSBEWR

^ This really bothers me too. I had to call on a 'Dragon' in EWR a few weeks back for a pack of drunks. Trust me, I'm all about having a great time, but this was really out of control (LOUD profanity, general shouting at each other, obnoxious remarks - all were pretty hammered). The Dragon did apologize and did approach and ask them to quiet down or leave. For future reference, the T&Cs from UA:

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...nge/rules.aspx

Specifically:

"During your visit to a United Club location, we ask that your attire and conduct are consistent with a professional environment."

"United reserves the right to terminate membership or remove any customer from a United Club location for inappropriate conduct that is disruptive or fails to comply with membership terms and conditions."

and oddly: "Sleeping is prohibited in all United Club locations." I have to admit, I'm guilty a few cat-naps, so I guess I might be a kettle calling the pot black
Old Sep 22, 2016, 4:28 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by Baze
So, has anyone said anything to him? If no one speaks up he will go on and on and not realize he is disturbing others.
Not that I saw. The entertainment value was too great for me to spoil the moment. He was still talking loudly into his phone when I had to leave.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 5:03 am

Programs: United Gold
Originally Posted by halcyongolf
ua1flyer: I don't think anyone who has met you in real life would think that you would behave in the manner the purported "#1 United flyer" did.

Thanks for being a good ambassador for frequent flyers.
In all seriousness could Tom trademark the phrase "#1 United Flyer" and protect it?
Old Sep 22, 2016, 7:26 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum
I don't know if you saw my response earlier in the thread, but I did say that any implication that I thought it was you was unintended. I haven't met you, but based on your postings, and what others have said, it didn't even cross my mind that there was any potential connection. Besides I am convinced that if someone did fly as much as you did, and truly had so much to complain about, they wouldn't continue to stick by UA. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

And incidentally, RW was yakking into the phone immediately as we landed and referred to himself as FlyGuy to the other person.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 9:00 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by qukslvr619
I don't know if you saw my response earlier in the thread, but I did say that any implication that I thought it was you was unintended. I haven't met you, but based on your postings, and what others have said, it didn't even cross my mind that there was any potential connection. Besides I am convinced that if someone did fly as much as you did, and truly had so much to complain about, they wouldn't continue to stick by UA. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

And incidentally, RW was yakking into the phone immediately as we landed and referred to himself as FlyGuy to the other person.
Anyone who knows or has even met Tom knows that this jagoff could never have been Tom. Tom is the ultimate gentleman and would never do anything close to what this poseur did.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 10:31 am

Programs: United Gold, Hilton Silver, Hertz President's Circle
I was lucky enough to score an upgrade on a flight from MSP-DEN and was excited to be getting the first-class service and comfort. My pleasure was quickly tempered by the person sitting next to me, however. She was livid that she "almost" didn't get her upgrade (meaning it didn't clear until the day of the flight).

Adding to her consternation, the FA informed us that because the flight had been delayed a little (weather), they were trying to load as quickly as possible and were dispensing with the PDB.

The entire trip, all she could do was to complain about these two items, and complain about everything the FAs were doing (despite the fact that they were providing great service - at least to those who returned their smiles).

She even complained about how she "almost" didn't get her upgrade on a recent international itinerary.

All in all, I would rather have remained in coach.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 11:25 am

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Getting off a 2-hour delayed EWR-SFO flight last night, I was met by a GS agent with my name on a sign.

Just as I started talking to her, some guy cuts in front of me and starts asking her to solve some problem of his own. She says "I need to help this person first," indicating the sign.

After she gives me the boarding pass for my new connection, I asked if I could get a different seat, so she walks to the counter. DYWKWIA again cuts in front of me and places himself squarely between me and the GS agent who is now at the counter. It took me saying "excuse me!" really loudly 3 times before DYKWIA moved and I could work with her to get a new seat.

I don't know if he was GS or not. But geez! Seems like the sign might be a clue that someone has a tight connection and needs to be helped first.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.