Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

DYKWIA stories (Travelling on United Airlines) (Archive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 30, 2024, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is DYKWIA stories (Traveling on United Airlines)
Print Wikipost

DYKWIA stories (Travelling on United Airlines) (Archive)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2015, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by Garten
these are changes that UA has made.
Not that I have anything to go on, but... I wonder if that's really the case. *shrug*

It doesn't really make sense to me to say, the only way to get seats together is to book weeks in advance. Last-minute travel is a real thing and the airlines generally monetize it by keeping seats available at a high price. It would make sense imho if they also did more to ensure there is decent seat selection for those last-minute purchasers.

People do not have to move---of course they don't---but I see nothing wrong with asking.
Asking? Nothing wrong with that. Pushing (which was mentioned a couple times)? Plenty wrong.

I think it makes perfect sense. First come, first served. Not sitting together isn't the end of the world, despite what people seem to think. Even, in all honesty, with young children. I guess I'm just overly laissez-faire about the whole thing. I'll sit in E- for 11 hours. *shrug*

Of course, I generally book 2+ months in advance.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 12:37 pm

Programs: UA- GS, SPG- Plat, HH-Diamond, Hyatt- Diamond, Marriott- Plat
Originally Posted by pdxkankuu
Not sitting together isn't the end of the world, despite what people seem to think. Even, in all honesty, with young children.
I totally agree - having someone else sit next to my 2 year old for a multi-hour flight isn't the end of the world for me.... though it might be for her seatmates. I'll just hand her off and say "enjoy"...
Old Apr 27, 2015, 2:55 pm

Programs: UA Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by pdxkankuu
If they're 6 or 4, book earlier. I fail to see the problem.
The problem is that unless things have changed it is sometimes impossible for no status passengers to get assigned seats even if they book months ahead of time.

My experience is from early 2001 flying on PM UA. Tickets bought 5 months ahead of time. Repeated checking / requests to get assigned seats on a monthly and then weekly basis as the flight date approached, all to no avail. Seats assigned at check-in. All middles.

Can someone confirm that this has changed such that no status passengers on UA can now definitely get assigned seats if they book with sufficient lead time?
Old Apr 27, 2015, 3:34 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Soccerdad1995
The problem is that unless things have changed it is sometimes impossible for no status passengers to get assigned seats even if they book months ahead of time.

My experience is from early 2001 flying on PM UA. Tickets bought 5 months ahead of time. Repeated checking / requests to get assigned seats on a monthly and then weekly basis as the flight date approached, all to no avail. Seats assigned at check-in. All middles.

Can someone confirm that this has changed such that no status passengers on UA can now definitely get assigned seats if they book with sufficient lead time?
Sure. If you pay for E+ seats.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 4:35 pm

I go back and forth with "status" (silver, so it's not like it counts). My experience with flying UA is fairly recent, around 2011 until now. From that time on, I've always been given the option to choose my seats when booking online. Even prior to having a mileageplus account, prior to any status, prior to any credit card, prior to... anything. Mind you, all my flights have been t-pac, but even the pdx-sfo (and reverse) legs have been assigned seats. Tickets usually bought between 1 (rare) and 3 months prior.

edit: with 2 exceptions, all flights E-

Last edited by pdxkankuu; Apr 27, 2015 at 4:37 pm Reason: clarification
Old Apr 27, 2015, 5:08 pm

Programs: United, Turkish
Originally Posted by 5khours
Had a flight to SEA a while ago. GF arrives at the gate about 10 minutes before departure, he yells (literally) at the GA because he didn't get an UG. Gets the UG, then yells some more about wanting a different seat. Tells the GA he's GF at least six times. Gets on the plane, overhead above his seat is taken. Confronts at least two pax to ask if they have "poached" his storage space. Ends us putting his bag in the overhead one seat back. On landing, he knocks an old lady over to get back to his bag, then tells her "I guess you don't fly much, you need to let people move back to get their bag."

I think the expression should be JERK not DYKWIA.
Might have been the same guy or similar. DW is ambulatory disabled. We were holding Paid F seats out of SFO. DYKWIA is told he has to wait for his s upgrade and he crowds the front of the line. They call for boarding for the Handicapped and we start for the gate agent . He turns red and growls loud "there's a LINE" GA smiles , says Yes there is and they are ahead of you.

and then she says

Oh and that reminds me, we do have a seat for you.But Im afraid the upgrade did not clear

O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!" He chortled in his joy
Old Apr 27, 2015, 8:36 pm
HMO

Originally Posted by morelegroom
and then she says

Oh and that reminds me, we do have a seat for you.But Im afraid the upgrade did not clear
Old Apr 27, 2015, 8:59 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Might have been the same guy or similar. DW is ambulatory disabled. We were holding Paid F seats out of SFO. DYKWIA is told he has to wait for his s upgrade and he crowds the front of the line. They call for boarding for the Handicapped and we start for the gate agent . He turns red and growls loud "there's a LINE" GA smiles , says Yes there is and they are ahead of you.

and then she says

Thanks for the end-of-day smile!!!
Old Apr 27, 2015, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
I never flew PMUA without status (only flew them after my CO status was matched close to the merger), so don't know what it was like, but now, non-status pax can certainly get seat assignments. If booking with sufficient lead, I see no reason why they wouldn't be able to find seats to book in advance.

Originally Posted by Always Flyin
Sure. If you pay for E+ seats.
Or choose E- for free

and then she says

Old Apr 27, 2015, 10:49 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1MM,
Originally Posted by joshwex90
I see no reason why they wouldn't be able to find seats to book in advance.

Non status passengers cant assign E+ without paying for it. Not all seats are available until check in time. On some flights, there are more non-status passengers with confirmed reservations on the flight than available seats when they book.

As a 1K, I have booked flights where no seat assignments were available. This is usually very last minute or for IROPs. With any kind of reasonably full flight, it is inevitably going to happen for one reason or another.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 12:23 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by joshwex90
Or choose E- for free
It was apparently missed that the complaint concerned an inability to book E- seats in advance when none were available.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 1:34 am
Formerly known as Stephenk19

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by ClaraM
I totally agree - having someone else sit next to my 2 year old for a multi-hour flight isn't the end of the world for me.... though it might be for her seatmates. I'll just hand her off and say "enjoy"...
Not sure how much difference this would cause - most misbehaving children I see are sitting with their apathetic parents. Maybe would be good for you For the rest of us, you can still hear a child crying whether they are sitting next to you or five rows back.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 5:04 am

Programs: AADULtArer

The notion that the earlier you reserve seats the more 'secure' they are is false. In short, because of high load factors, getting a large block of family seats together is hard. No one is promised a particular seat, just transport, notwithstanding the Internet heroes here who insist they hold "their" seat because they " reserved" it.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by Always Flyin
It was apparently missed that the complaint concerned an inability to book E- seats in advance when none were available.
What I understood from the post was that non-status pax weren't allowed to book seats in advance, not a question of availability. Hence, "even with enough advance purchase that there would be seats," they were still unable to choose seats
Old Apr 28, 2015, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Don't know if UA still does it but they used to only let a percentage of E- seats get preassigned. They would hold back a chunk of seats for airport assignment or check-in, can't remember which.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.