Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Checking baggage through when connecting to separately ticketed flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 21, 2015, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Checking baggage through when connecting to separately ticketed flight

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2015, 2:31 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by Kacee
UA could make a note in the UA record, but not sure how that would help, since CA will never see it. OP could call CA and ask them to notate their record, but given what I know about CA I have doubts whether that would accomplish anything.
+1 - I do this once a month with CA - if you have to check a bag then the only real option to avoid claiming a bag and rechecking in is to have it properly tagged at check-in with the first carrier to your FINAL destination - which means having your CA reservation with you at check-in. There is really nothing else to do - does anyone honestly think that baggage handlers in ICN check your PNR for notations?
Old Feb 1, 2015, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by CaptainCajun
Normally alliance partners (*A in this case) will interline bags even on separate PNRs, so UA should transfer the bag directly to the CA flight. You should call the originating carrier (I assume UA) and get the records linked. Otherwise you will have to go through immigration in Incheon, collect bags, recheck and go back through border control. Incheon is not difficult for any of that, but if you can stay as transit it will be much easier.
Thanks for the suggestion! Just a quick question, if in the worst case, I still need to go through immigration, collect bags, recheck and go back through border control, how much time should I allow to ensure no mis-connection? I have 3 hour and a half (assuming no delay), will it be ok?
Old Feb 2, 2015, 8:03 pm

Programs: Starbucks Gold :-)
Connecting flight, separate tickets. How to check bags?

Hi there,

Im flying EWR-HNL on UA, connecting to a separately ticketed HNL-KOA flight. What do you guys do when checking in for HA? Do you say you have "0" bags?

My plan is to through-check them with UA, all the way to KOA.

Thoughts?
Old Feb 2, 2015, 8:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If UA checks them through then the correct answer to HA is 0 but you'll need to mention the through-checked bags when you get to HNL. IF UA doesn't check them through then you'll have to collect them in HNL and the answer for HA would be whatever the number is.

Keep in mind that HA won't check them through on the return (or won't honor UA status, or something like that) if that's part of your plan.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 8:29 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
UA and HA have a baggage agreement. I think UA may have changed recently with checking bags with different tickets not on the same PNR.

ELECTRONIC INTERLINE CARRIER AGREEMENTS-UA
INTERLINE CARRIER CODES
AA - AB - AC - AF - AH - AI - AM - AR - AS - AV
AX - AY - AZ - A3 - A9 - BA - BD - BE - BI - BR
BT - BW - CA - CI - CM - CO - CX - CZ - C5 - DL
EH - EI - EK - EL - EN - ET - EV - EY - FB - FI
FJ - FM - FV - FW - FZ - F9 - GA - GF - G3 - G7
HA - HU - HX - IB - IQ - JJ - JL - JP - JQ - J2
KA - KC - KE - KF - KL - KM - KQ - KS - KU - KX
LA - LG - LH - LO - LP - LR - LW - LX - LY - MD
ME - MF - MH - MI - MK - MQ - MS - MU - NH - NQ
NU - NZ - OA - OH - OK - OM - OO - OS - OU - OZ
PG - PK - PR - PS - PX - PZ - QF - QR - QX - RJ
RO - SA - SK - SN - SQ - SU - SV - S2 - S5 - S7
TA - TG - TK - TP - T0 - UL - UN - UO - UP - US
UX - VA - VK - VN - VS - VW - WF - WM - WP - WS
WY - XE - XF - XJ - XL - ZH - ZK - ZW - 2V - 3M
4C - 4M - 4Q - 7H - 9E - 9K - 9L - 9W
OP: You may want to call UA. Many airlines are changing the rules. I do not know if UA changed. OP is using two tickets with different PNR's.

Good luck and happy travels.

Aloha! ^
Old Feb 2, 2015, 9:16 pm

Programs: Starbucks Gold :-)
Im using 2 tickets, with separate PNRs. From what I've read, it is valid until the policy change March 1.

M
Old Sep 10, 2016, 1:49 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Will close this thread as it has been superseded by http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ch-2015-a.html .

Have moved recent posts to the new thread.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.