Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Checking baggage through when connecting to separately ticketed flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 21, 2015, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Checking baggage through when connecting to separately ticketed flight

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2014, 2:01 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by cfischer
2) is a non-issue as they can do 2 tags ... done that before. It can be a pain but it is doable.
Definitely doable - but I wouldnb't advise it. ROC has been outsourced and doesn't see much, if any, "connecting" traffic and there is a real risk it would not be handled properly...

Assuming you booked these tickets on purpose to see someone in ROC you will be landside anyways - ROC is so small that to walk upstairs from baggage claim and re-check in will take all of five minutess - and you will have to clear security anyways (again, assuming you will be meeting someone) so not too much more work - hardly worth the risk if you actually want your bag to make it to SFO LOL...
Old Sep 13, 2014, 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
I suspect the biggest pushback on checking the bags all the way thrugh is going to be the 9 hour stop at ROC. Airlines don't usually like to hang onto bags that long between flights, particularly on domestic sectors.
I have a sort of related question. I will be flying PVG-LAX-SFO-YYJ next week. I arrive at LAX early evening and then fly out to SFO at 6am. It is all on 1 ticket (in J except the final flight which has no J).

Will I be able to check a bag all the way through or will I have to pick up bags in LAX? I'd really prefer not to since I'd have to check them in again the next day and carry them around in the interim. I may be able to just do carry-on but am not sure how strict they are on weight.

Thanks

Dr. PITUK
Old Sep 13, 2014, 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by painintheuk
I have a sort of related question. I will be flying PVG-LAX-SFO-YYJ next week. I arrive at LAX early evening and then fly out to SFO at 6am. It is all on 1 ticket (in J except the final flight which has no J).

Will I be able to check a bag all the way through or will I have to pick up bags in LAX? I'd really prefer not to since I'd have to check them in again the next day and carry them around in the interim. I may be able to just do carry-on but am not sure how strict they are on weight.

Thanks

Dr. PITUK
You're going to have to pick up your bags in LAX anyway since you'll clear customs there. Though, if your bag is already tagged to SFO for the next day, maybe you can get away with dropping them off and skedaddling?
Old Sep 14, 2014, 3:30 am

Originally Posted by cmn.jcs
You're going to have to pick up your bags in LAX anyway since you'll clear customs there. Though, if your bag is already tagged to SFO for the next day, maybe you can get away with dropping them off and skedaddling?
Thanks for letting me know. I think I'll try to make it with just carry-on then. It shouldn't be a problem in any case, I think.

Dr. PITUK.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 11:44 pm

Programs: LH Senator, Hertz Presidents Circle, IHG Plat. Previous: UA 1K, AAdvantage Platinum;
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
Definitely doable - but I wouldnb't advise it. ROC has been outsourced and doesn't see much, if any, "connecting" traffic and there is a real risk it would not be handled properly...

Assuming you booked these tickets on purpose to see someone in ROC you will be landside anyways - ROC is so small that to walk upstairs from baggage claim and re-check in will take all of five minutess - and you will have to clear security anyways (again, assuming you will be meeting someone) so not too much more work - hardly worth the risk if you actually want your bag to make it to SFO LOL...
Bag was left on the belt and re-claimed 8 hours later with little to no issue.

The only issue was the 20 mins it took to find someone working the baggage area to re-collect my bag and then 20 to check the bags because they had 1 agent who was doing a re-booking.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 12:11 am

Programs: AS MVP 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1MM,
Originally Posted by bosbjg
2. The Bag tags can only handle 4 flights - and i have 5.
Bags with more than the allowed segments on one bag tag can have two bag tags. Its called a conjunctive bag tag in the industry.

Hope all works out for you.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 4:10 am

Programs: UA 1K MM,Marriott platinum,ihg spire
Interlining with ANA

Hi,

I have an upcoming flight on UA 804 from SIN to NRT arriving at 2:40 PM

In NRT, I have flight on a separate ticket from NRT to ITM (osaka Itami) on NH 2177 departing at 5:10 PM.

Since it is a short connection, would I be able to check my luggage all the way through to ITM in SIN ?

Thanks
Old Jan 9, 2015, 6:03 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
In NRT you will have to pick up your bags and then re-check them in with NH - just head right after you clear customs and you will see the recheck area and then go through security again to catch your "domestic" flight...
Old Jan 9, 2015, 7:07 am

Programs: Delta 1MM/PM, BAEC GGL, Asiana Diamond Plus(Lifetime), AC *Tangerine
Assuming that your UA flight is on time (see the thread on delay/cancelled intl flights thread) two and a half hours should be more than enough to make your connection with an hour or so in the domestic lounge which is on the way to the gates after the baggage re-check.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 11:13 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat, Turkish Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold
two and half hours should be enough. The airport agents are quite friendly if you have any question
Old Jan 10, 2015, 3:52 am

Programs: UA 1K
On a similar note, does anybody know how it works in reverse? If you're flying from ITM to NRT on NH and transferring to a UA flight to SFO, do you do departure clearance at ITM or NRT? I'm assuming that NH will interline the luggage to UA? Will ITM give boarding passes for the UA flight? Thanks in advance for any guidance.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 6:47 am

Programs: Delta 1MM/PM, BAEC GGL, Asiana Diamond Plus(Lifetime), AC *Tangerine
You'll do immigration at NRT. You should be able to check your bags all the way to SFO without any issue at ITM if you've got your itinerary for SFO with you. You might need to stop by the check in desk if ANA doesn't give you a BP at ITM but being Platinum just head for the *A elite check in at the far end of the departure lounge from where the domestic flight to transfer dumps you out at. Almost every time I've made a similar connection (from FUK) it takes only a couple of minutes for UA to check your documents. Security and immigration are usually very quick and you be off to the lounge in about 15 minutes after you get to the departure desks.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 4:34 am

Programs: UA 1K
Thanks for the details!
Old Jan 20, 2015, 8:21 pm

Programs: Alaska 75K United 1K
United Baggage Interline with Thai on Separate Tickets?

Will UA interline bags on TG if you have both flights info
but UA and TG on seperate tickets?

Only posting i find is 2007
Old Jan 20, 2015, 8:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

They can and likely will. They are not obligated to.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.