Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Checking baggage through when connecting to separately ticketed flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 21, 2015, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Checking baggage through when connecting to separately ticketed flight

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2013, 7:21 am

Programs: SPG Plat
Should be no issues. Just give check in agent both PNR's and itineraries and should tag them all the way.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 8:49 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, TK*Elite+, EBD, FBG, EKS, IHG Royal Ambassador
Excellent, thanks.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 11:19 am

Programs: UA Gold; AA Dirt; HH Diamond; National Emerald; CONTROL SecretAgent Platinum; KAOS EvilFlyer Gold
Baggage Interlining with Etihad (EY)?

I'm looking at purchasing a USA-India ticket on Etihad, IAD-AUH-HYD and return same routing. This would be an EY ticket, and on EY metal.

If I were to book a totally separate UA ticket to IAD from Norfolk VA, for example (ORF-IAD) would interline agreements permit, upon checkin at ORF, to have the baggage tagged directly through to HYD?

I recognize that these would be totally separate tickets, a delay on the UA flight could risk missing the EY flight with no compensation/recourse from UA or EY, and also that UA would not be checking me in for my EY flights, etc.

The reasons for doing this are:
1. Check-in and security are infinitely easier and quicker at ORF than IAD.
2. Could benefit from using precheck at ORF (assuming I can checkin airside at IAD for the EY flights) rather than enduring the regular security process at IAD as a coach EY passenger.
3. Save the cost/time of a 400-mile roundtrip drive to IAD to drop off traveler and return home.

If the bags can't be interlined, then this whole option is moot, since it would entail having the traveler (on their own, no help) reclaim luggage at IAD and endure the whole (non-elite/non-precheck) checkin and security process again at IAD.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
YMMV. UA agents can do this, but don't have to. Although Etihad is an interline partner, they're not a *A partner.

Considering the size of ORF, is it not worth it to ask in advance of the check-in agent there?

Or book the trip on Expedia/Orbitz to get it all on one ticket?
Old Aug 19, 2014, 12:51 pm

Don't think you'd be able to check-in airside at IAD for EY either. The IAD-EY flight is also pretty late (around 10 PM right?) and security lines are not very long then.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 1:06 pm

I've had no trouble ever interlining luggage from UA to EY. *Allliance or not, the two carriers have a baggage/ interline agreement, so you shouldn't have a problem checking the luggage through, even on separate tickets.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 1:29 am

Programs: LH Senator, Hertz Presidents Circle, IHG Plat. Previous: UA 1K, AAdvantage Platinum;
Checking Bags all the way

Hi all -

I am flying like this:

TLV-EWR-IAD-ROC (Ticket #1)
ROC-ORD-SFO (Ticket #2)

I will be in Rochester a total of 9 hours... when I check-in in TLV, can I check my bags all the way to SFO (I know I have to re-claim and re-check in EWR).

If not, can I just leave them on the belt in ROC, and only claim them when I check in for my ROC-SFO flights.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 2:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
You should be able to check them all the way to SFO.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 6:45 am

Programs: UA 1K
IME, you may need to inform the check in agent of the two tickets and they should be able to check it all the way.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 7:25 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It is the discretion of the agent. The easier you make it for the agent, the more likely that it gets done. Have a copy of your e-ticket receipt (not itinerary) for the second ticket handy.

If the agent at TLV won't do it, ask again at EWR as you will pick up your bags to clear Customs and drop them for re-check anyway.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
I suspect the biggest pushback on checking the bags all the way thrugh is going to be the 9 hour stop at ROC. Airlines don't usually like to hang onto bags that long between flights, particularly on domestic sectors.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 7:47 am

Programs: UA 1K
If the agent at TLV won't do it, ask again at EWR as you will pick up your bags to clear Customs and drop them for re-check anyway.
Good point!
Old Sep 13, 2014, 1:14 pm

Programs: LH Senator, Hertz Presidents Circle, IHG Plat. Previous: UA 1K, AAdvantage Platinum;
Here at TLV and it was a no go.

Two different issues at play:
1. Too early to check into my ROC-SFO flights
2. The Bag tags can only handle 4 flights - and i have 5.

If I have time i will try again in EWR (since i will be able to check in for the 2nd leg)
Old Sep 13, 2014, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by bosbjg
Here at TLV and it was a no go.

Two different issues at play:
1. Too early to check into my ROC-SFO flights
2. The Bag tags can only handle 4 flights - and i have 5.

If I have time i will try again in EWR (since i will be able to check in for the 2nd leg)
2) is a non-issue as they can do 2 tags ... done that before. It can be a pain but it is doable.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 1:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, mLife Platinum
They just used REROUTE labels on mine last time, and they arrived safely HNL-SFO SFO-LHR without us touching them.

However, they were the very last off the plane in LHR.

Again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.