Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Checking baggage through when connecting to separately ticketed flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 21, 2015, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Checking baggage through when connecting to separately ticketed flight

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2012, 4:25 pm

Programs: UA1K/2MM,Hertz PC
Just did this the other day from MIA. Was not an issue with agent, just gave him my flight information for 2nd ticket and bag ended up when I got home.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 9:32 am

Programs: FB Platinum, UA 1K, BA Gold, SPG Platinum
Checking luggage with 2 tickets: UA and BA

Hello,
I am flying on UA from SFO to LHR and then on BA from LHR to CDG. I have 2 different tickets. Does anyone have experience trying to check luggage all the way through in such a two-ticket situation?
Thanks for sharing
Old Nov 24, 2012, 10:30 am

Surprisingly it seems to work well most of the time. I have interlined bags w/o problems through FRA and ORD without incident.

But if anyone could screw it up, my money would be on LHR. What is your connection time? BA and UA aren't exactly neighbors there...
Old Nov 24, 2012, 6:10 pm

Programs: FB Platinum, UA 1K, BA Gold, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by Innerloop
Surprisingly it seems to work well most of the time. I have interlined bags w/o problems through FRA and ORD without incident.

But if anyone could screw it up, my money would be on LHR. What is your connection time? BA and UA aren't exactly neighbors there...
Thanks. I have over 3 hours connection time. I hope that will be enough!
Old Dec 18, 2012, 7:39 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Please let me know if there is another thread on this topic (didn't see one specific to UA)

From what I've been reading, this latest rule on US + DL could be the new trend.
I fly UA to BKK/SIN a lot and then buy a sep award tkt on SQ or TG to my final, checking my bags thru and over-nighting in the airside hotel or lounge. If this new rule goes into effect, that means I will have to leave the airport (at midnight) , go thru customs + immigration, get a hotel for a few hours, and re-check my bags to my final in the morning.
??? really?
wow. Crossing my fingers this doesn't catch on.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 12:49 am

Programs: UA PP, 2 MM; IC;
Originally Posted by cdg2sfo
Hello,
I am flying on UA from SFO to LHR and then on BA from LHR to CDG. I have 2 different tickets. Does anyone have experience trying to check luggage all the way through in such a two-ticket situation?
Thanks for sharing
Two days ago I had a LAX-LHR on United with a 2 hour time before my LHR-ORY flight.... UA flight was 20 mins early and bags made it fine... Problem was that the UA agents had a difficult time with it... About 20 mins and blamed it on Shares.. But they finally made it happen
Old Apr 7, 2013, 7:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
Can I check my bags all the way through?

I am flying UA JFK-SFO followed by a ~13 hour layover in SFO before getting on an SQ flight SFO-HKG. I have a ~12 hour layover in HKG before the final connection HKG-BKK on TG. BKK is my destination. When I check in at JFK, will I be able to check my luggage all the way to BKK?
Old Apr 7, 2013, 8:46 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
If all three flights are on one ticket then it is easy and your luggage should be checked through; if it is not then make sure you ask them to do it; it may not be so easy but it can most certainly be done. If they cannot, they should ask a supervisor.
I find that overall SFO staff are good but many are still not very proficient in the CO computer system since most of them worked for many years on the UA computer.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 8:58 pm

Programs: UA-1K, AA-Gold, H GP-LIfeTime Diamond
YMMV - might depending on your arrival/departure date

In our case last month, also 3 flights on one ticket, arrived HKG on UA at 7pm and our TG flight for BKK leaves at 1pm the next day. UA agent leaving USA wouldn't check our bags direct to BKK due to different arrival/departure date in HKG. We had to collect our bags in HKG.

For TG in HKG, you can check in your bag one day prior to the flight, but their counter closed at 8pm. Missed it by 15 mins and stored our bags at airport (between T1 & T2, right side of the underground as you exit baggage claim) for HK$120 per bag up to 24 hours.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
I am flying UA JFK-SFO followed by a ~13 hour layover in SFO before getting on an SQ flight SFO-HKG. I have a ~12 hour layover in HKG before the final connection HKG-BKK on TG. BKK is my destination. When I check in at JFK, will I be able to check my luggage all the way to BKK?
If your trip is ALL on one itin then you should be O.K., depending upon who you are dealing with at the t/c. If it's a voluntary stop, or on separate itins you MAY have to retrieve your bags and do the HKG customs rigmarole.

Here's the actual printed rule ---

Checked baggage service charges apply at any point where bags are checked. For a trip that includes one or more connections, bags will be checked to your final destination, and the charge for checking a bag from your origin to your destination will apply. For a trip that includes a voluntary stopover, your bags will be checked to your stopover point, where you will collect your bags. When you resume travel, subject to applicable charges, you may check your bags again from the new point of check-in to the destination.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 2:31 am

When I was flying FAT-SFO-HKG last January, I was flying FAT-SFO on UA and SFO-HKG on CX, and I tried to interline my bags as well. The woman at the checkin desk was kind enough but said she couldn't because it wasn't all on one itinerary...

When I was in Beijing last summer, I was booked on UA from PEK-SFO-FAT, but the PEK-SFO and PEK-FAT segments were different tickets, and they said that they needed the eticket number to be able to send the bags all the way through.

Luckily on my FAT-SFO-HKG flight I had a 4-5 hour layover in SFO so I had plenty of time to deplane at SFO's international Terminal 1, go get my bags at the UA terminal (including a 50 minute wait for bags- I had a priority tag) then walk back to terminal 1 to check in for my CX flight. That was annoying.

However on my PEK flight, because I couldn't check my bags all the way through, I had to pick them up in SFO, and my flight arrived late so I missed the check bag time by one minute, but thankfully the woman was nice enough to let me check my bag in for my flight to FAT.

So the last two paragraphs were just stories that I thought I'd share...
Old Apr 8, 2013, 8:16 pm

Programs: HiltonHonors, IHG Hotels, DL Skymiles
[QUOTE=chavala;19878746]Please let me know if there is another thread on this topic (didn't see one specific to UA).....
----------------------

Yes, this one -- Interline bags w/SHARES - goes into a little more depth.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 10:11 am

Programs: UA 1K MM,Marriott platinum,ihg spire
Baggage transfer 2 pnr

Hi,
Travelling this saterday on an F saver award mia - iad - fra. Mia - iad on ua metal, iad - fra on LH.
I have on a separate PNR a connecting flight fra - bru.
Will UA staff be able to chack my bags all the way to bru ? Or will I need to get LH do this in IAD ?
Thx.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by erwin123
Hi,
Travelling this saterday on an F saver award mia - iad - fra. Mia - iad on ua metal, iad - fra on LH.
I have on a separate PNR a connecting flight fra - bru.
Will UA staff be able to chack my bags all the way to bru ? Or will I need to get LH do this in IAD ?
Thx.
LH will never see the bag in IAD.

You need to ask (nicely) at MIA for UA to check it all the way through.

Not sure why, if you booked an F saver, you can't add in FRA-BRU to the current ticket (availability aside) or change
to MIA-EWR-BRU (admittedly in BF, versus F). TO me, having all those connections lessens the value of having F across the ocean.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 7:14 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, TK*Elite+, EBD, FBG, EKS, IHG Royal Ambassador
Check baggage all the way on 2 PNRs (UA and SK)

I have booked a flight from SNA to SFO via United and then I will fly SFO-CPH-ARN on SAS. It's two PNRs. Anyone know if I can check my luggage all the way from SNA to ARN when checking in at SNA?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.