Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Checking baggage through when connecting to separately ticketed flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 21, 2015, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Checking baggage through when connecting to separately ticketed flight

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2015, 8:50 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Agreed with above, ask nicely and make sure you have ALL the info, sometimes the PNR isn't good enough. I've done this AC to AV and they needed to add each of my flights manually or something.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 9:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
You may want to consider stopping by the transit desk or something where you are connecting. Couldn't hurt.
I flew TG HKT-BKK-CDG and then SK CDG-OSL on different tickets. At HKT the check in agent had no problem or issue interlining the bags. When I was in CDG I went by the SK desk in the satellite and proactively showed them my BP & baggage tag and she said something along the lines of "Oh thank you I need to note that in the system."
Old Jan 20, 2015, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by drvannostren
Agreed with above, ask nicely and make sure you have ALL the info, sometimes the PNR isn't good enough. I've done this AC to AV and they needed to add each of my flights manually or something.
This. Have an e-ticket number handy and your request will be much easier for check in agent.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 9:08 pm

Programs: Alaska 75K United 1K
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
This. Have an e-ticket number handy and your request will be much easier for check in agent.
Yes plan to have this
Does anyone know what maximum interline transit is hourwise?
Old Jan 20, 2015, 9:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
You may want to consider stopping by the transit desk or something where you are connecting.
This is definitely a good idea. Go to TG transfer desk and show them your bp and baggage claim check.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 11:30 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by boycruz
Yes plan to have this
Does anyone know what maximum interline transit is hourwise?
I believe it is 13 hrs.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 8:52 pm

Programs: RapidRewards, Hhonors Diamond, AA,WorldPerks
Seeking anecdotal experience/advice with checking bags through on different tickets

Hi all,

I've done a search and read enough to know what I'm proposing can be done, I'm just gathering intel to give my friend a heads up on what to expect and how best to be prepared.

She is flying MSP-SFO on UA. She is meeting me in SFO and then approx. 6 hours later, she is flying SFO-HKT on SQ. These flights are on two different tickets.

She has to check bags in MSP as she is traveling with a duffel of heavy dive gear to meet me in HKT. Ideally, she would like to check it all the way to HKT. I know she can do this, if the agent in MSP approves. So my questions are:

1) What kinds of things can she do to get the agent to approve? I've read that providing the itinerary for the SFO-HKT flight would be helpful.

2) Is there any possibility that UA will waive the domestic checked bag fee to get her bag from MSP to SFO as her major flight is from SFO-HKT on a *A partner? She has no status on UA.

3) Just because she can, doesn't mean she should...she has a long layover in SFO (about 6+ hours) and could retrieve her bags and then check them again, but what a hassle! On the other hand, it would suck if her luggage was delayed because the transfer did not go smoothly. On the final hand (three hands!), we are not planning to dive until a few days into the trip -- the first couple of days we will be relaxing and adjusting.

Thank you in advance to this most helpful community.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 8:58 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Doable, but I have been denied even when staying on UA metal on several occasions. Agents claim "the system won't let us do it anymore." (Which isn't true, but what can a pax do? Call them liars?)

I would think the chances of getting the domestic baggage fees waived because of the SFO-HKT segments on a separate ticket are low (particularly on the outbound), even assuming you do get an agent willing to check through to HKT from MSP--which is definitely doable.

As for your question of "should she," IMHO the answer is definitely yes if she can get the agent to do so. There's no reason the bag won't make it if tagged through, and it saves the hassle of claiming and rechecking it.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 9:12 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Sosiouxme
1) What kinds of things can she do to get the agent to approve? I've read that providing the itinerary for the SFO-HKT flight would be helpful.
Not "helpful," essential.

Be nice to the check-in agent and hope for the best.

2) Is there any possibility that UA will waive the domestic checked bag fee to get her bag from MSP to SFO as her major flight is from SFO-HKT on a *A partner? She has no status on UA.
Virtually none.

3) Just because she can, doesn't mean she should...she has a long layover in SFO (about 6+ hours) and could retrieve her bags and then check them again, but what a hassle! On the other hand, it would suck if her luggage was delayed because the transfer did not go smoothly. On the final hand (three hands!), we are not planning to dive until a few days into the trip -- the first couple of days we will be relaxing and adjusting.
She should try. SQ check-in probably won't open until approx. 3 hours prior to departure.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by jasondc
I've had no trouble ever interlining luggage from UA to EY. *Allliance or not, the two carriers have a baggage/ interline agreement, so you shouldn't have a problem checking the luggage through, even on separate tickets.
Not sure of the fine print and any exceptions, but does the new UA policy of no interline on separate tickets outside of *A really mean that? So UA to EY on separate tickets would be dead as of 3/1??
Old Jan 30, 2015, 12:21 pm

connecting two one-way flight with re-checkin at ICN

I have an itinerary which is consisted of "two" separate one-way ticket on different airlines: SFO->ICN (on UA) and then ICN -> TNA (on CA). I have one luggage which needs re-checkin at ICN -- so I assume I need to exit and then go to ticket counter to drop the luggage and then enter the security check again? How much time should I leave in between to make sure I won't miss the second one?
Old Jan 30, 2015, 1:59 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.5MM, AA EXP, SPG Plat
Normally alliance partners (*A in this case) will interline bags even on separate PNRs, so UA should transfer the bag directly to the CA flight. You should call the originating carrier (I assume UA) and get the records linked. Otherwise you will have to go through immigration in Incheon, collect bags, recheck and go back through border control. Incheon is not difficult for any of that, but if you can stay as transit it will be much easier.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 2:06 pm

UA should be able to check them all the way through. Be sure to bring a copy of your CA itinerary to show the check-in agent. You will also need a copy of the CA itinerary to get through transit security at ICN.

When you get to ICN, go to the CA transit desk to check-in. Be and sure to show them your baggage claim check so they can match your bag to the ticket.

Originally Posted by CaptainCajun
You should call the originating carrier (I assume UA) and get the records linked.
There is no such process. Calling UA in advance will accomplish nothing.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 2:15 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.5MM, AA EXP, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Kacee

There is no such process. Calling UA in advance will accomplish nothing.
Linking was a poor choice of words - my understanding (perhaps also erroneous) is that the originating carrier can make a manual note of the second record, in case of misconnects.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by CaptainCajun
Linking was a poor choice of words - my understanding (perhaps also erroneous) is that the originating carrier can make a manual note of the second record, in case of misconnects.
UA could make a note in the UA record, but not sure how that would help, since CA will never see it. OP could call CA and ask them to notate their record, but given what I know about CA I have doubts whether that would accomplish anything.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.