Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Online upgrade not available".

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2012, 6:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: *AG, Choice Privileges Elite Diamond, SPG Gold, La Quinta Returns Gold, Wyndham Rewards Gold
"Online upgrade not available".

I received an allotment of new RPUs and GPUs today. I logged in to try to apply them to several upcoming reservations.

I actually was able to apply one of the RPUs. But for all the rest of the reservations, I am getting this bogus message now:

"Online upgrade not available."

What does this message mean? I can see open spots on this flights. I know there is first class inventory. So why can't we apply instruments to these spots? At a minimum, we should be able to waitlist these instruments for any open spot; is this not even permissible anymore?

God, flying on this airline is frustrating as h*ll.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 7:05 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by LEONIDES
"Online upgrade not available."

What does this message mean? ....
I don't seem to have issues trying to apply RPU at this time.

See "Online upgrade not available" for resevations that are already waitlisted.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 9:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Platinum, HH Diamond
Had the same issue as you where the flight segments stated that "Online upgrade not available" but allows for either a RPU or GPU to be applied. I applied an instrument, and it allowed for the upgrade. The subsequent screen tells you which flights actually has the ability for the upgrade before you fully commit to using the RPU/GPU. Good luck.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 6:50 pm

Upcoming reservation DEN-SNA-DEN showed 'upgrade to united first for $58 or 15000 miles' in View Reservations on united.com. When clicking on the offer, the dollar upfare is unavailable - I tried several times. Web support was able to replicate the situation but claims this is all well and good because the mileage upgrade part of the offer happens to be available. Isn't UA on the hook to honor the dollar upgrade? If so, how does one compel UA to do so?

(Closest thread I could find - if incorrect, please move post.)
Old Mar 16, 2017, 6:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by AirbusFan2B
Isn't UA on the hook to honor the dollar upgrade?
No. "From $58" is not an offer.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by AirbusFan2B
...'upgrade to united first for $58 or 15000 miles'...
'Sign up for a magazine and win a million dollars or a 10% discount on your next subscription'. The 'or' doesn't necessarily imply you get a choice of either.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
...I can see open spots on this flights. I know there is first class inventory. So why can't we apply instruments to these spots?...
Open seats does not mean United will let you upgrade into them. United first must allocate one or more for use by upgraders.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 12:29 am

Programs: United Gold, Hilton Silver, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
No. "From $58" is not an offer.
Actually, it is an offer. I've had this happen several times, and when I've spoken to web support, they have always honored the offer. Make sure you're talking with web support and explain. If they can see the offer, they should honor it.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 6:08 am

Programs: Silver MileagePlus, Diamond Hilton
I've had similar experience once before. After ticketing saw and offer to upgrade to f on a 752 to MCO for only $29 and when you click said online not available. I called and they did it.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 7:45 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, DL 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
God, flying on this airline is frustrating as h*ll.
Read through some of the threads in the AA and DL forums. Same themes as here in the UA forum - selling upgrades to non-elites, lack of PDBs, declining value of elite status, website bugs, etc.

It's not UA. It's travel in general . . . airlines, hotels, and frankly travelers with sense of entitlement.
Old Mar 19, 2017, 5:07 pm

Programs: UA -GS 4.5 MM, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Diamond
I get those messages some times. I just call UA and they are always able to put in the upgrade request. It is some software issue
Old Mar 6, 2018, 9:25 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
I've been trying for the past 3 days (since booking) to upgrade a reservation using RPU's. Instead of the typical "Waitlist only," the option is "Online upgrade not available." .bomb allows me to select the RPU's, but not complete the purchase. (If I want to fork over $450+ in each direction, it will gladly allow me to complete that purchase. )

Has anybody else successfully applied RPU's or GPU's in the past 3 days? Ordinarily I would just call, but with the weather waiver and impending Nor'Easter, I would prefer not to exhaust phone resources for a trip in June. On the other hand, the sooner I waitlist, the sooner I can delude myself into thinking that if R availability opens up, my RPU's will clear.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by SS255
Has anybody else successfully applied RPU's or GPU's in the past 3 days? Ordinarily I would just call, but with the weather waiver and impending Nor'Easter, I would prefer not to exhaust phone resources for a trip in June. On the other hand, the sooner I waitlist, the sooner I can delude myself into thinking that if R availability opens up, my RPU's will clear.
I applied an RPU into open R last night. But the web interface has always been buggy and I would just call if you can't get it to work out. If you're concerned about phone time, just wait until the evening after most flights are done.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 1:43 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by SS255
I've been trying for the past 3 days (since booking) to upgrade a reservation using RPU's. Instead of the typical "Waitlist only," the option is "Online upgrade not available." .bomb allows me to select the RPU's, but not complete the purchase. (If I want to fork over $450+ in each direction, it will gladly allow me to complete that purchase. )

I applied several over the weekend. You are 1K so you should have minimal wait as I did. Of course none of the flights I applied them to had R space but I tend to think as you do in that I as well "delude myself into thinking that if R availability opens up my RPU will clear".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.