FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   "Online upgrade not available". (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1398553-online-upgrade-not-available.html)

LEONIDES Oct 17, 2012 6:20 pm

"Online upgrade not available".

I received an allotment of new RPUs and GPUs today. I logged in to try to apply them to several upcoming reservations.

I actually was able to apply one of the RPUs. But for all the rest of the reservations, I am getting this bogus message now:

"Online upgrade not available."

What does this message mean? I can see open spots on this flights. I know there is first class inventory. So why can't we apply instruments to these spots? At a minimum, we should be able to waitlist these instruments for any open spot; is this not even permissible anymore?

God, flying on this airline is frustrating as h*ll.

WineCountryUA Oct 17, 2012 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by LEONIDES (Post 19516230)
"Online upgrade not available."

What does this message mean? ....

I don't seem to have issues trying to apply RPU at this time.

See "Online upgrade not available" for resevations that are already waitlisted.

lw2b Oct 17, 2012 9:09 pm

Had the same issue as you where the flight segments stated that "Online upgrade not available" but allows for either a RPU or GPU to be applied. I applied an instrument, and it allowed for the upgrade. The subsequent screen tells you which flights actually has the ability for the upgrade before you fully commit to using the RPU/GPU. Good luck.

AirbusFan2B Mar 16, 2017 6:50 pm

Upcoming reservation DEN-SNA-DEN showed 'upgrade to united first for $58 or 15000 miles' in View Reservations on united.com. When clicking on the offer, the dollar upfare is unavailable - I tried several times. Web support was able to replicate the situation but claims this is all well and good because the mileage upgrade part of the offer happens to be available. Isn't UA on the hook to honor the dollar upgrade? If so, how does one compel UA to do so?

(Closest thread I could find - if incorrect, please move post.)

mahasamatman Mar 16, 2017 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by AirbusFan2B (Post 28047004)
Isn't UA on the hook to honor the dollar upgrade?

No. "From $58" is not an offer.

IAH-OIL-TRASH Mar 16, 2017 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by AirbusFan2B (Post 28047004)
...'upgrade to united first for $58 or 15000 miles'...

'Sign up for a magazine and win a million dollars or a 10% discount on your next subscription'. The 'or' doesn't necessarily imply you get a choice of either.

IAH-OIL-TRASH Mar 16, 2017 7:15 pm

...I can see open spots on this flights. I know there is first class inventory. So why can't we apply instruments to these spots?...

Open seats does not mean United will let you upgrade into them. United first must allocate one or more for use by upgraders.

BBSHOPSINGER Mar 17, 2017 12:29 am

Originally Posted by mahasamatman (Post 28047024)
No. "From $58" is not an offer.

Actually, it is an offer. I've had this happen several times, and when I've spoken to web support, they have always honored the offer. Make sure you're talking with web support and explain. If they can see the offer, they should honor it.

COEWR2587 Mar 17, 2017 6:08 am

I've had similar experience once before. After ticketing saw and offer to upgrade to f on a 752 to MCO for only $29 and when you click said online not available. I called and they did it.

Boiler84 Mar 17, 2017 7:45 am

God, flying on this airline is frustrating as h*ll.

Read through some of the threads in the AA and DL forums. Same themes as here in the UA forum - selling upgrades to non-elites, lack of PDBs, declining value of elite status, website bugs, etc.

It's not UA. It's travel in general . . . airlines, hotels, and frankly travelers with sense of entitlement.

feobrien Mar 19, 2017 5:07 pm

I get those messages some times. I just call UA and they are always able to put in the upgrade request. It is some software issue

SS255 Mar 6, 2018 9:25 am

I've been trying for the past 3 days (since booking) to upgrade a reservation using RPU's. Instead of the typical "Waitlist only," the option is "Online upgrade not available." .bomb allows me to select the RPU's, but not complete the purchase. (If I want to fork over $450+ in each direction, it will gladly allow me to complete that purchase. :D)

Has anybody else successfully applied RPU's or GPU's in the past 3 days? Ordinarily I would just call, but with the weather waiver and impending Nor'Easter, I would prefer not to exhaust phone resources for a trip in June. On the other hand, the sooner I waitlist, the sooner I can delude myself into thinking that if R availability opens up, my RPU's will clear. :D

findark Mar 6, 2018 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by SS255 (Post 29492092)
Has anybody else successfully applied RPU's or GPU's in the past 3 days? Ordinarily I would just call, but with the weather waiver and impending Nor'Easter, I would prefer not to exhaust phone resources for a trip in June. On the other hand, the sooner I waitlist, the sooner I can delude myself into thinking that if R availability opens up, my RPU's will clear. :D

I applied an RPU into open R last night. But the web interface has always been buggy and I would just call if you can't get it to work out. If you're concerned about phone time, just wait until the evening after most flights are done.

nomad420 Mar 6, 2018 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by SS255 (Post 29492092)
I've been trying for the past 3 days (since booking) to upgrade a reservation using RPU's. Instead of the typical "Waitlist only," the option is "Online upgrade not available." .bomb allows me to select the RPU's, but not complete the purchase. (If I want to fork over $450+ in each direction, it will gladly allow me to complete that purchase. :D)

I applied several over the weekend. You are 1K so you should have minimal wait as I did. Of course none of the flights I applied them to had R space but I tend to think as you do in that I as well "delude myself into thinking that if R availability opens up my RPU will clear".