Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grumpy bartender in the SFO United Club

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2012, 2:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I despise the tipping culture - staff should be paid properly by their employer in the first place. That said, I cannot understand why they need bartenders in airport lounges - the vast majority round the world don't have them and are better for it.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 2:16 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
You couldn't cough up a buck tip for a couple of beers? Not excusing the perceived attitude received, but what's a buck?
+1. She works or tips. You couldn't spare a dollar for 2 beers I leave a tip for a coke. It's just the right thing to do

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Oct 5, 2012 at 4:22 am
Old Oct 5, 2012, 3:05 am
Suspended

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1PMM; JetSmarter; HHonors Gold
Seriously, though, I have a problem with the whole tipping thing at clubs. You pay a club membership or a business class ticket. But you are forced to go to a bartender to get drinks, which in turn forces you to tip. I'm happy with self service. Why should I unnecessarily pay additional money for something I've already prepaid for? I go to other lounges, and I can simply serve myself (which I prefer anyway).

If you must have a bartender, pay them a decent wage, and clearly state that gratuity is not expected.

Perhaps I've been living in Europe too long...

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Oct 5, 2012 at 4:22 am
Old Oct 5, 2012, 3:14 am

Programs: SPG Plat
Originally Posted by oenophilist
Perhaps I've been living in Europe too long...
Yes, I think so. It's really nice here in Europe to not worry about tipping, but all the employees are paid well to deal with it.

If I was to guess, a bartender in the US probably makes 4-5 dollars an hour. Kind of hard to make a living on that. And, I'm guessing UA isn't going to pay them a penny more then they have to.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 4:51 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AZjohns
Yes, I think so. It's really nice here in Europe to not worry about tipping, but all the employees are paid well to deal with it.

If I was to guess, a bartender in the US probably makes 4-5 dollars an hour. Kind of hard to make a living on that. And, I'm guessing UA isn't going to pay them a penny more then they have to.
Not in California, the law requires minimum wage. currently $8 an hour. Not exactly a king's ransom but better than you posted.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 4:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Syzygies
I'm uncomfortable tipping when the tips aren't shared with the cleaning staff, who are clearly working harder even if they're not central casting for "our kind of people". But perhaps I'm wrong. Does anyone know for certain that the bar staff are making the least in the room otherwise?
Bartenders, as well as waiters/waitresses usually are paid less than the minimum wage the cleaning staff would be due As fo sharing with staff, maybe some do, some don't.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 5:16 am

When I worked at LAX many moons ago an ol' sky cap (friend) told me something that I never forgot. "Some tip big and some don't tip at all, but in the end it all averages out, and I treat em all alike"!

Seriously, what's the BIG DEAL about not being able to throw a buck on the bar when you get a drink? Me thinks that perhaps way too much chatter is being devoted to the supposed slamming of two beers on the bar and perhaps a reason is being manufacturing as an excuse to stiff the "LADY", and salt is being rubbed in by posting on here.

Name calling further diminishes my respect for anyone that must resort to these tactics to justify a reason, after getting SOMETHING FOR NOTHING, and then making an excuse for not slapping leather!

Tipping is a matter of choice and if it makes one feel really, really good to have someone serve them and then walk out with every penny in their pocket that they walked in with then I certainly hope that made their day!
Old Oct 5, 2012, 5:25 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Sorry to say, but the SFO J lounge is the worst excuse for a J lounge I have ever seen. Almost nothing to snack on, wait an eternity for bar service when there are only a few people at the bar, short served drinks. Its a great airport, but please UA, make the lounge "experience" great as well. Given that I'm actually paying for premium cabin seating, I expect better.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 5:43 am

Programs: Flying Blue, easyJet Plus (!)
Originally Posted by AZjohns
Well, I was taught a long time ago what the difinition of TIPS really is:

T = To
I = Insure
P = Polite/Prompt
S = Service

I guess YMMV ?
That's a bribe. A tip is given afterwards.

(It can have that effect at somewhere you go regularly, but is not its primary purpose).

Neil
Old Oct 5, 2012, 5:44 am

Programs: Flying Blue, easyJet Plus (!)
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
I despise the tipping culture - staff should be paid properly by their employer in the first place. That said, I cannot understand why they need bartenders in airport lounges - the vast majority round the world don't have them and are better for it.
Agree. Just put the food/drink out as a buffet and let us help ourselves.

Neil
Old Oct 5, 2012, 5:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
I always tip after each drink and I give 1 buck and every club I use, CLE,EWR,ORD,IAH on a regular basis they appreciate my dollar for each drink and thank me, and refills come quick. Not tipping after your drink you are aksing for trouble.
^^ tipping after the first glass of wine usually means subsequent pours are more generous.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 6:35 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, SQ PPS, CX Silver, Accor Platinum, Marriott Gold, SPG Silver
I think the real difference here is there is no tab at the end like a bar or restaurant, so no reason for her to expect you to come back. I would imagine the vast majority of people who don't tip as they go, don't tip at all. I completely understand her frustration.

I also second what several others said. Tip well early, and the drinks flow faster and stiffer. Also important at crowded cash bars.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 6:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Local liquor laws are usually the reason for bartenders. As long as UA allows minors in clubs, the bartenders will be there (another reason to ban kids other than the obvious one). The old HLN Presidents Club had self-serve liquor until they got busted by C&C Liquor Control.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by halls120
^^ tipping after the first glass of wine usually means subsequent pours are more generous.
With UA wine that's a good reason not to tip.

But seriously, there's nothing wrong with tipping at the end or after each drink. We each have our own style. OP claims to have worked in restos so (s)he knows the importance of tips to the bartender's bottom line.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by paulyras
I think the real difference here is there is no tab at the end like a bar or restaurant, so no reason for her to expect you to come back....
EXACTLY.

Also, someone brought up a point about UC being a paid-membership club and "tips shouldn't be expected". Obviously you don't belong to a real private club, where at the end of the year during the holiday season, you DO end up tipping staff that have provided services that you have enjoyed during the year. Or do you cycle back through the the UC clubs you've been to at year's end and tip everyone? I doubt it.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Oct 5, 2012 at 6:44 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.