Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grumpy bartender in the SFO United Club

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2012, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by will2288
Any chance you being from what sure seems like the 'tipping capital of the world' affects your opinions?
Probably!^
But I sure as heck wouldn't call someone an "Ol' Bag" and be chincey on a buck tip after chugging down a few free beers, as fast as I could, and manufacture a reason to stiff the barkeep.............and anyone that promotes this type of behavior is just a cheap as the person that does it! It's an embarrassment to any self respecting person that frequents these clubs, and it's an insult to anyone that needs to explain and expand on this type of pettiness.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Let me start off by saying that I always, repeat always, leave a $1 every time I receive a beer in the RCC. And I have yet to see the SFO bartender (older gent, international terminal) smile, much less strike up a conversation.

There is no obligation to tip, this is not a real bar but an airport club. Yes it is courteous to tip bartenders in the USA. But you don't have a self-service option choice, as compared to LH lounges in Germany (and SQ down the hallway). You want a drink, you have to get it from the bartender.

No I think more likely this is a long tenured worker who is tired of the grind and finds no joy in her work. Or maybe just part of the "entitlement" culture who expects a tip from everyone even though it isn't required. Unlike a neighborhood bar there are few regulars here, and even fewer who take time to chat as they are busy tapping on their blackberries, making cellphone calls or chatting with each other. So you get a McDonald's service attitude, not Cheers.

To be fair I don't think this is unique to UA - I can't think of any airport clubs where the bartender was very friendly even at the BA C/F lounges in London. Pleasant & courteous, yes; chatty, no.

Last edited by Boraxo; Oct 5, 2012 at 3:57 pm
Old Oct 5, 2012, 3:49 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, AA-PP, AS, DL, HH G, SPG Gold, TA nada
Originally Posted by fliestoomuch310
At LAX, all of the bartenders work for Sodexo. I think this may be the case at most of the UCs.

Most of the time they are paid minimum wage, so the tipping helps.

Tipping and politeness, in my experience, brings goodwill from not only the bartender, but from the rest of the staff as well (especially when you frequent certain UCs--the staff starts to recognize you). The service becomes very warm and personal. The bartender always has my drink ready as soon as he sees me (even though it's usually a Diet Coke) and the agents really go above and beyond (especailly during IRROPS).

Interesting story: one of my friends flew out of EWR quite a bit and was friendly with the staff. He got pretty sick once, and the UC staff actually brought him a bunch of homemade food during his recovery.

Hence, I recommend tipping, even if you only get a Diet Coke.
At SFO I believe they are Host employee's, at least they were.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by Boraxo
Let me start off by saying that I always, repeat always, leave a $1 every time I receive a beer in the RCC.
As do most self respecting gentlemen!^

It's not about whether one is required to tip, and frankly if it makes a guy feel good to screw a person out of a buck, hey more power to him.

The OP stated that he was very impatient with the "Lady" and had to wait until she put things away in the cooler before he could order a couple of beers. I still don't know if he had a guest with him or if both of the first draws were consumed solo. In any case, he indicates that he downed them pretty quickly and then ordered more. He couldn't wait for a third glass and had to leave quickly, and as always he failed to leave anything on the bar when he hauled a$$.

I know! I know! It's the FTer way of life to try to wring the last penny out of every sojourn and get their Bud's (no pun intended) to back them up. I could care less who tips and who doesn't, and as far as I'm concerned the guys that piss off people by being impatient and then use excuses as to why they're not leaving a tip (when they never do anyway) are an embarrassment to not only themselves but to anyone that supports this type of behavior!

So far, by the way, no-one has seconded the motion that this "Lady" is or has been an "OL' Bag" who was previously rude/indifferent/cavalier/grumpy to them!
Old Oct 5, 2012, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by og
Sorry to say, but the SFO J lounge is the worst excuse for a J lounge I have ever seen. Almost nothing to snack on, wait an eternity for bar service when there are only a few people at the bar, short served drinks. Its a great airport, but please UA, make the lounge "experience" great as well. Given that I'm actually paying for premium cabin seating, I expect better.
Funny, I find the United Club in the International terminal one of the best places to hang out before a flight. I find the bartenders always amiable and the other PAX are generally friendly.

In fact, multiple times when flying F I go here instead. The dragons often remind me that I should go to the IFL but honestly I find that place sterile and library-like. I'd rather hang out & chat with people before a flight, and the bar at the back of the UC is a great spot for that. IFL feels like a morgue by comparison.

I also like the LAX UC for its bar "scene". Always interesting folks to converse with and friendly barkeeps.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 5:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
Originally Posted by LilAbner
It's not about whether one is required to tip, and frankly if it makes a guy feel good to screw a person out of a buck, hey more power to him.
I am not "screwing" anyone out of anything. A tip is given for service that is beyond what is required.

An airport shuttle driver that helps with baggage deserves a tip (somewhat) since he/she did that above and beyond their job description - which is to drive the shuttle. Even though I did not ask for it, in the US it is customary to give a tip and I will do that.

The bartender is paid/employed to give me drinks. Unless they do something particularly excellent or above and beyond, I am not going to pay them extra! Why would I? Because they are getting paid too little? Come on. If they are unhappy with their wages, I recommend they seek a new job.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by northpole999
Well, I normally wait until I am finished with my session at the bar before I tip. This is natural to me - I don't leave tips in a paying bar until I pay the bill, and then I leave the entire tip. I am normally quite generous with my tipping. I worked my way through college waiting tables and I understand that these folks bust their behinds to serve us in most cases. But this doesn't make tipping a prereq to good service.

I've seen that type of attitude a few times - no immediate tip = bad attitude and slow service. I firmly reject the philosophy that the client is obligated to provide financial gratification to a bartender and on her schedule -- or else deserves lousy treatment. Remember, it is called a "gratuity" - which is inherently optional. If there is to be a penalty for exercising this choice, then it is more properly called a bill, not a tip. Not to mention the fact that FAs serve w/o tipping and it's not a problem.

It seems to me that this is a decent test of whether or not the barkeep in fact deserves a tip. On the rare occasions that I've received rotten service b/c I do not immediately whip-out cash to reward the server, my very generous tips shrink fast (or even disappear altogether on a couple of occasions when the attitude was really egregious).

What do folks think - is it my attitude that is off?
I agree with you. I don't understand this idea that we're supposed to tip before the service is rendered. At a lot of informal restaurants in SF, they ask for a tip when you place the order. You have no idea if the food will be any good or how long it'll take to be served. You should tip what you want, when you want, how you want. And, it should be done after you've had a chance to evaluate the quality of the service delivered.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that

Playing devil's advocate: Certain drinks advertised as free. UA has decided not to allow self service. Bartenders are likely paid minimum wage (San Mateo not SF country) which means they rely on tips to make ends meet.

Isn't this UA's way of screwing the customer out of a buck or two?

Originally Posted by mitchmu
At a lot of informal restaurants in SF, they ask for a tip when you place the order.
I've seen that on occasion but nothing was as bad as Boulder CO when I went to school there. Everything was vocalized as 'price plus tip'.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Oct 5, 2012 at 5:32 pm Reason: merge
Old Oct 5, 2012, 7:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium
yeah I think I had the same one in SFO recently too, I didn't tip off the bat and I got the grumpy attitude...

so yesterday in the CLE UC I tipped a buck each beer, and wow awesome service, already had the beer poured when she saw me walking up
Old Oct 5, 2012, 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by dsquared37
Playing devil's advocate:

Isn't this UA's way of screwing the customer out of a buck or two?
Actually being the devil's advocate, isn't this the way of screwing the employee out of a buck or two? &

Hey people's!
Don't tip!
Nobody is forcing anyone to give anyone anything!
Whatever turns ya on!

Hope ya feel good about yourself! &

Last edited by LilAbner; Oct 5, 2012 at 9:46 pm
Old Oct 5, 2012, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Actually being the devil's advocate, isn't this the way of screwing the employee out of a buck or two? &

Hey people's!
Don't tip!
Nobody is forcing anyone to give anyone anything!
Whatever turns ya on!

Hope ya feel good about yourself! &

I still luv ya-all, but don't ever expect me to buy you a drink!!!
Agreed!

Although California does not allow employees to receive a wage below the general minimum wage (which in California is currently $8.00/hr), the Federal minimum wage for employees who receive tips (that includes bartenders, of course) is a whopping...$2.13/hour.

Obviously, if you feel the service does not merit a tip, that's why the system was devised, but if you're just withholding a tip to be a cheapskate, you may want to consider that a bartender working an 8-hour shift could make as little as a pre-tax total per day of...$17.04.

I'm curious home many of you make less than that per hour?

No one is forcing anybody to be a bartender, of course, but part of the deal is tipping.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 9:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by fliestoomuch310
At LAX, all of the bartenders work for Sodexo. I think this may be the case at most of the UCs.
I thought LAX, and pretty much all of the airport clubs/bars, were ran by HMSHost, which I think is a subsidiarity of Marriott (which is rather ironic)
Old Oct 5, 2012, 9:57 pm

Seriously, anyone with any horse power (status - for those of you that ride in coach) and belong to a Very Exquisite Private Club surely can afford a dollar or two for the "Ol' Bag" that has to stock the cooler as well as rush a beer, or two, or three to a very busy VIP, that just can't stand waiting for some lowly service person to gently place a beer in front of them, and who admittedly never has tipped for a freebee, and probably never will, because it's the principle that matters. Lightening up the Ol Pocketbook surely has absolutely nothing to do with it! - - $$
Old Oct 5, 2012, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Seriously, anyone with any horse power (status - for those of you that ride in coach) and belong to a Very Exquisite Private Club surely can afford a dollar or two for the "Ol' Bag" that has to stock the cooler as well as rush a beer, or two, or three to a very busy VIP, that just can't stand waiting for some lowly service person to gently place a beer in front of them, and who admittedly never has tipped for a freebee, and probably never will, because it's the principle that matters. Lightening up the Ol Pocketbook surely has absolutely nothing to do with it! - - $$
+1

What's especially galling to me are the elites who, by definition are relatively well off (certainly making more than $2.13/hour) bitterly complain when their freebie upgrade doesn't come through, but at the same time refusing to cough up a buck or two now and then, a small price to pay for services rendered...

Last edited by TWA Fan 1; Oct 5, 2012 at 10:13 pm
Old Oct 5, 2012, 10:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ryan182
I thought LAX, and pretty much all of the airport clubs/bars, were ran by HMSHost, which I think is a subsidiarity of Marriott (which is rather ironic)
I stand corrected. Still, they aren't employed by United directly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.