Wiki Posts
Search

Grumpy bartender in the SFO United Club

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2012, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by paulyras
I think the real difference here is there is no tab at the end like a bar or restaurant, so no reason for her to expect you to come back.
You're likely correct but that doesn't excuse slamming drinks down.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 6:40 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
I believe lounges need bartenders because of state liquor laws saying it can't be self served. Am I wrong? I don't even drink so it makes no difference to me, but I believe it to be why lounges in airports need bartenders.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 6:41 am

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I always tip after the first pour. Who knows if I'll go back. No excuse for slamming beers down, but who knows what she is going through.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 7:00 am

I realize the 'tip a dollar per drink' is fairly common, but it sure seems like that is a large tip considering how little time the bartender spends pouring a drink. Depending on the crowd, a bartender could serve hundreds of drinks per shift.

If the bartender provides good service or is cute, I tip. If not, I see no reason to pay $1 for a grumpy person to reach into a fridge and hand me a beer.

The other issue is that of all the people that affect my lounge visit, the bartender is usually the least important one for me. I would much rather reward the person who cleans the toilets, clears the tables, or an agent who helps me with a reservation. Unless the bartender is great/awful, I don't much care.

Last edited by will2288; Oct 5, 2012 at 7:16 am
Old Oct 5, 2012, 7:02 am

Programs: Former 1KMM now free as UA Gold MM, former HH D, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by schley
I believe lounges need bartenders because of state liquor laws saying it can't be self served. Am I wrong? I don't even drink so it makes no difference to me, but I believe it to be why lounges in airports need bartenders.
Except it is self serve in the United First Lounge, at least in ORD and IAD.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
+1. She works or tips. You couldn't spare a dollar for 2 beers I leave a tip for a coke. It's just the right thing to do
I thought that the UA Club bartenders were paid proper wages, ie. not serving staff wages - I think this has been established in many threads already.

Right thing to do???? Says who??

As someone said, I am not giving anyone a dollar who is grumpy and all they do is reach into a fridge and get me a beer. How is that going above and beyond? Its their JOB. Whats next, I am gonna tip the lounge dragon for scanning my boarding pass?
Old Oct 5, 2012, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by rankourabu
I thought that the UA Club bartenders were paid proper wages, ie. not serving staff wages - I think this has been established in many threads already.

As someone said, I am not giving anyone a dollar who is grumpy and all they do is reach into a fridge and get me a beer. How is that going above and beyond? Its their JOB. Whats next, I am gonna tip the lounge dragon for scanning my boarding pass?
Except in OPs case, he got the perceived grumpy attitude on his 2nd trip to the bar for a couple of beers after stiffing her on his first trip for a couple of beers. In some clubs, the bartender are not even United employees. I can guarantee you they are there because it's cheaper than paying UA wages/benefits.

Originally Posted by bmr12
Except it is self serve in the United First Lounge, at least in ORD and IAD.
Do those lounges allow minors?

Last edited by iluv2fly; Oct 5, 2012 at 7:43 am Reason: merge
Old Oct 5, 2012, 7:27 am

Programs: Hertz Presidents, UA Plat, IHG Plat, MR Plat, HH Gold
Once you're on the plane, do you tip your FA when they get you a drink?
Old Oct 5, 2012, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Do those lounges allow minors?
Yes.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by TimF1975
Once you're on the plane, do you tip your FA when they get you a drink?

Interest point. That might change around the dynamics of an MR.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 7:44 am

Programs: VAG
Originally Posted by rankourabu

Look, I don't like tipping either, so y'know what I'm doing? I'm leaving the United States.

If you choose to remain in the United States of America, though, follow the nonsensical local customs and leave pointless and substantial tips for certain classes of service workers while completely ignoring all the others.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by Jorgen

If you choose to remain in the United States of America, though, follow the nonsensical local customs and leave pointless and substantial tips for certain classes of service workers while completely ignoring all the others.
well said, tipping is an American disease, that unfortunately is spreading
Old Oct 5, 2012, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
if it's a "bottle" drink i don't. if it is a mixed drink i always do. the future ones seem to be a touch stronger after that. Although at a regular bar after the first drink i leave a fairly substantial tip and then never seem to have a problem getting drinks strong and quickly. I am not above willing to bribe.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by UAPremierGuy
Seriously. No tip? You get what you pay for.
It's not common to tip in any airport lounge outside the United States, as much I'm aware. Given this is an international airport and a lot of people visiting the lounge won't be used to us-american tipping system, the bartenders definitely should NOT expect any tips, or be unfriendly to lounge guests if he doesn't get any.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 9:14 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
I despise the tipping culture - staff should be paid properly by their employer in the first place.
^^^Tipping is EVIL

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.