Grumpy bartender in the SFO United Club

Old Oct 4, 2012, 10:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: not a lot
Grumpy bartender in the SFO United Club

Got a couple of glasses of Bud Lite when I went in.

Went back up for another couple a bit later. Don't think it was possible for her to slam them onto the bar any harder to be honest.

Wonder what will happen in round 3 later.

I imagine her attitude is because I didn't leave a tip.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 10:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
huh usually the lady working the RCC bar is quite nice, I've chatted with her many times.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by ryan182
huh usually the lady working the RCC bar is quite nice, I've chatted with her many times.

Indeed.

She can come across as a bit unusual at first, but once you start talking to her, she's really nice. Maybe it's a function of the volume in there.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by LiviLion
Got a couple of glasses of Bud Lite when I went in.

Went back up for another couple a bit later. Don't think it was possible for her to slam them onto the bar any harder to be honest.

Wonder what will happen in round 3 later.

I imagine her attitude is because I didn't leave a tip.
You couldn't cough up a buck tip for a couple of beers? Not excusing the perceived attitude received, but what's a buck?
Old Oct 4, 2012, 11:18 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Seriously. No tip? You get what you pay for.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 11:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
You couldn't cough up a buck tip for a couple of beers? Not excusing the perceived attitude received, but what's a buck?

Well, I normally wait until I am finished with my session at the bar before I tip. This is natural to me - I don't leave tips in a paying bar until I pay the bill, and then I leave the entire tip. I am normally quite generous with my tipping. I worked my way through college waiting tables and I understand that these folks bust their behinds to serve us in most cases. But this doesn't make tipping a prereq to good service.

I've seen that type of attitude a few times - no immediate tip = bad attitude and slow service. I firmly reject the philosophy that the client is obligated to provide financial gratification to a bartender and on her schedule -- or else deserves lousy treatment. Remember, it is called a "gratuity" - which is inherently optional. If there is to be a penalty for exercising this choice, then it is more properly called a bill, not a tip. Not to mention the fact that FAs serve w/o tipping and it's not a problem.

It seems to me that this is a decent test of whether or not the barkeep in fact deserves a tip. On the rare occasions that I've received rotten service b/c I do not immediately whip-out cash to reward the server, my very generous tips shrink fast (or even disappear altogether on a couple of occasions when the attitude was really egregious).

What do folks think - is it my attitude that is off?
Old Oct 4, 2012, 11:36 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
Originally Posted by northpole999
Do I agree it is natural to be unhappy that service wasn't friendly and efficient? Yes, of course.

Last edited by l etoile; Oct 5, 2012 at 7:45 am Reason: Removed comment regarding former title
Old Oct 4, 2012, 11:42 pm

Programs: SPG Plat
Originally Posted by northpole999
Well, I was taught a long time ago what the difinition of TIPS really is:

T = To
I = Insure
P = Polite/Prompt
S = Service

I guess YMMV ?
Old Oct 4, 2012, 11:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by UAPremierGuy
Seriously. No tip? You get what you pay for.
Exactly. Bud Light.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 12:29 am

Programs: *AG, Choice Privileges Elite Diamond, SPG Gold, La Quinta Returns Gold, Wyndham Rewards Gold
Maybe she attended the Gordon Ramsay School of Bartending?
Old Oct 5, 2012, 12:47 am

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Regarding not leaving the tip until the end, sure, I can understand that, but if someone's looking like they're having a really bad day, why not surprise them at the end? If you really think they were grumpy because they weren't immediately tipped, tip them anyway at the end and maybe they'll rethink things, maybe feel badly about pre-judging you and do better in the future.

In almost everything we do we have a choice between making the world a bit better place for others, or worse. There aren't that many things that justify making things worse.

Last edited by l etoile; Oct 5, 2012 at 7:48 am Reason: Comments on title no longer relevant
Old Oct 5, 2012, 1:05 am

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
I always tip after each drink and I give 1 buck and every club I use, CLE,EWR,ORD,IAH on a regular basis they appreciate my dollar for each drink and thank me, and refills come quick. Not tipping after your drink you are aksing for trouble.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 1:38 am

Programs: UA 1MM (former 1K, Delta Platinum))
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
I'm uncomfortable tipping when the tips aren't shared with the cleaning staff, who are clearly working harder even if they're not central casting for "our kind of people". But perhaps I'm wrong. Does anyone know for certain that the bar staff are making the least in the room otherwise?
Old Oct 5, 2012, 1:44 am

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
And people wonder why the tipping culture in the U.S. is so despised.

There's simply no excuse for attitude from a bartender in the UC. Normally I tip after each round, but a bartender who gives poor attitude or service risks getting no tip at all, and it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 1:48 am

Programs: Whatever's Cheapest, Accruing Miles, Redeeming for Premium Cabins, Not Chasing Status Unnecessarily
Most nongrumpy bartenders are clairvoyant and know you are a great tipper, so I think you should keep tipping only at the end of your sessions.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.