Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA rules on original routing credit for "trip-in-vain"?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA rules on original routing credit for "trip-in-vain"?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2012, 8:59 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by starflyguy
Just an update to the board on my experiences:

To recap:
Had scheduled SFO-EWR-IST RT
Only flew SFO-EWR due to mechanical problems

My SFO-EWR RT miles (PQM) posted the next day

Last friday (6 days after the start of my flight) I called the MP desk, and requested ORC for the entire trip. It took 2 tries and some confused agents wondering why I would take a trip to Istanbul for 2 hrs, but my request was approved and the miles for my entire trip has been credited to my account as of Sunday morning.

Thanks everyone and thanks to the awesome UA agents for being so cool

SFG
good news on the flight credit.
did you also get a refund or future credit for the unflown segments?
Old Dec 9, 2012, 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
good news on the flight credit.
did you also get a refund or future credit for the unflown segments?
WineCountryUA:
Yep on future credit: from my understanding reading the forum, it was either get original miles OR get refund. So I opted for the former.
However, since my flight was cancelled, I got an email from UA directing me to their customer appreciation site. After putting in my info, I had to choose between 20,000 regular miles, $500 future credit on domestic flights, or 10% discount on future purchases. I took the future credit.

All things considered, this worked out as well as could have been expected ^. So kudos to UA
Old Sep 17, 2013, 1:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UAL SPG Hyatt
A quick update to this original thread I started about a year ago.

Mileage run out of SFO. SFO-AAA-BBB-AAA-SFO with about a 90 min connection time at each connection, getting back to SFO in about 24 hours.

- First flight out of SFO got delayed by about 2 hours because of a mix of crew and equipment issues.
- Would have missed my entire series of flights and there was no practical way to reroute.
- Per cust svc counter staff, entire itin was cancelled with invol and trip in vain notes.
- Did not fly a single segment, went home after spending 3 hours wating at SFO.
- Call UA customer service to request original routing credit. I was willing to give up any refund due. Denied on basis that I did not even fly a single segment. Instead UA insisted on a full refund on ticket and some miles for my pain and suffering.

So, it does look like ORC will only be given if you at least fly some of the segments?

Cheers,
SF
Old Nov 14, 2013, 9:05 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
URGENT UA Question

I am in the UA CLub at IAH. I booked LGA-IAH-SJC-IAH-LGA as a same day mileage run. Due to M/X, the IAH-SJC leg is delayed 1+ hours and I will miss my connection SJC-IAH and there are no other flights back today. If they just send me back to NY from IAH will I get original routing credit? The elite line says no. If IRROPS for an overnight in SJC does UA have to put me up or am I forced to wait out the delay, fly to SJC, miss my connection then pay for my own hotel before flying home in order to get my 6,028 EQM?
Old Nov 14, 2013, 9:14 am

Hotel

Plan to pay of your hotel
Old Nov 14, 2013, 9:16 am
Suspended

So I can't get original routing credit if they re-route me IAH-LGA even though the delay is United's fault, will lead to me being stranded overnight in SJC and gettin home a day late?
Old Nov 14, 2013, 9:21 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hilton Diamond, Costco
Ask if you can go to SFO...I think SFO might be a city pair, so they should be able to re-route you there and then catch a flight back.

NOTE - THE CITY PAIRS BELOW ARE CONSIDERED THE SAME POINT-
BWI-WAS FLL-MIA FLL-PBI MIA-PBI BUR-LAX BUR-ONT
BUR-SNA LAX-ONT LAX-SNA ONT-SNA OAK-SFO OAK-SJC
SFO-SJC EWR-HVN EWR-ISP EWR-NYC EWR-HPN HVN-ISP
HVN-NYC HVN-HPN ISP-NYC ISP-HPN NYC-HPN EFD-HOU
EFD-IAH IAD-DCA MDW-ORD LGA-JFK

It is a city pair....
Old Nov 14, 2013, 9:23 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
You have a trip in vain situation. It used to be a full refund and an ecert. Not sure now. You are doing nothing wrong and UA if a mechanical issue that causes you to miss your connection should pay for your hotel as an elite. I would be very surprised if you didn't take the flight and stayed in IAH that they wouldn't give you original routing credit at the very least and a refund or some portion of it.

I found this in a search as I have never had a trip in vain but know many who have. Not in the last 2 years however. There is a good precedence for refunds in the past before the merger.

The short answer is you are in title to a involuntary refund of the un-flown portion of your ticket due to a schedule irregularity per the CoC Rule 24(E)(2)(b)
Quote:
In the event a Passenger misses an onward connecting flight on which space is reserved because the Delivering Carrier did not operate its flight due to a Schedule Irregularity or Change in Schedule, the Delivering Carrier is responsible to arrange for carriage of Passenger or to make a refund
and Rule 27(A)
Old Nov 14, 2013, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by muc2asia
Ask if you can go to SFO...I think SFO might be a city pair, so they should be able to re-route you there and then catch a flight back.

It is a city pair....
I would argue that the mechanical issue is the cause of you missing your flight and go to SFO...there should be plenty of flights to EWR, LGA (connecting) and JFK
Old Nov 14, 2013, 9:32 am
Suspended

It is a city pair....
or depending what time your flight will get into SJC, see if you can do SFO tonight back to LGA via?? or SFO-JFK The red-eye to JFK is around 10:30pm , once it credits you can call up and ask for ORC

I did something like this with both PMCO & PMUA and got ORC, but who knows what COdbaUA will do

It will be on your own dime SJC-SFO and JFK-LGA
Old Nov 14, 2013, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by craz
or depending what time your flight will get into SJC, see if you can do SFO tonight back to LGA via?? or SFO-JFK The red-eye to JFK is around 10:30pm , once it credits you can call up and ask for ORC

I did something like this with both PMCO & PMUA and got ORC, but who knows what COdbaUA will do

It will be on your own dime SJC-SFO and JFK-LGA
SJC-SFO does not exist, but to craz' point, I would suggest either SJC to LAX or somewhere else and then back to JFK, LGA, or EWR. And then calculate which route gives the most miles.

You have lots of options here. I would not give up the trip in vain.

You might be able to add a lot of 500 mile trips that will bump up your total....like a true MR would do.

Let us know how you make out.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

SJC-SFO does not exist, but to craz' point, I would suggest either SJC to LAX or somewhere else and then back to JFK, LGA, or EWR. And then calculate which route gives the most miles.

You might be able to add a lot of 500 mile trips that will bump up your total....like a true MR would do.

Er, what. If he routes to the final destination or co-terminal, it would no longer be considered a trip-in-vain. If you route to your final destination you would be sure to get the miles, but no refunds. If you declare a trip-in-vain (which means they will route you back to your origin using the most convenient path), you will get a refund and the miles for your flown segments. Technically, they only have to refund the unflown segments, but I believe they will generally refund the entire flight. If you get the refund, I wouldn't count on getting ORC for the unflown segments.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by LBJ
Er, what. If he routes to the final destination or co-terminal, it would no longer be considered a trip-in-vain. If you route to your final destination you would be sure to get the miles, but no refunds. If you declare a trip-in-vain (which means they will route you back to your origin using the most convenient path), you will get a refund and the miles for your flown segments. Technically, they only have to refund the unflown segments, but I believe they will generally refund the entire flight. If you get the refund, I wouldn't count on getting ORC for the unflown segments.
I think the point is that he wants the miles. So he wants to do the trip. So no declaration of trip-in-vain.

I think he does not want to get stuck in SJC
Old Nov 14, 2013, 10:23 am
Suspended

SJC-SFO exists just as JFK-LGA does by public transport of some kind other then a flight

Again everything depends on what time the OP would arrive @ SJC, didnt think there was a SJC-LAX flight if there is then Id grab that if I can connect to a NY bound flight Both SFO & LAX have redeyes to IAH,JFK,EWR,IAD the only question is if it will amount to the same amount of EQMs as the OP would have earned, if yes or more then no prob, if no (LAX-IAH-LGA s/b < SJC-IAH-LGA) then will they get ORC or even need all of it. My Dec trip to SNA will have me ending up at just under 102k so I know if I hit irrops I can reroute within reason and still clear 1K. Dont know the OPs situation
Old Nov 14, 2013, 7:49 pm
Suspended

The elite line said if I went back to NY I would only get credit for LGA-IAH-LGA even though I'd paid to go to SJC and back. I thought that was ridiculous since the problem was UA's fault but I can't say I'm surprised. I flew to SJC and my aircraft was the same as SJC-IAH so I made that segment, but missed the last flight to LGA (the gate agent in SJC tried to route me home through LAX or DEN but failed. At IAH now, got a hotel voucher and a $7 food voucher (thanks a lot), on a 6am back to EWR. Probably lose like 20 miles returning to EWR, but I can live w that. Hope this goes smoother when I do it again next week.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.