FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   UA rules on original routing credit for "trip-in-vain"? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1393705-ua-rules-original-routing-credit-trip-vain.html)

SometimesFlyer Oct 2, 2012 10:32 pm

UA rules on original routing credit for "trip-in-vain"?

Need some help with potential trip-in-vain rules and original routing credit on UA. Been searching but all the trip-in-vain threads has to do with refunds. I'm more concerned with original routing EQMs as I'm stringing together a series of mileage runs.

Background :
Considering a series of UA mileage runs with a tight connection in Newark EWR (40 mins). Itin is outbound AAA-EWR-BBB with a 2 hour on the ground in BBB, followed by return BBB-EWR-AAA. There is only daily flight from EWR to BBB and back. Given the 40 min connection time in EWR on the outbound, there is a good chance that I would miss the EWR-BBB flight, making the whole thing a trip in vain. Result is likely I get rerouted back on the next EWR - AAA.

Question :
In the event of a trip in vain, would I still be able to get the original routing credit for the EQMs? I don't really care if the ticket is refunded or not.

Thanks in advance.

WineCountryUA Oct 2, 2012 10:36 pm

Given all the recent changes at UA, it is hard to predict what the new UA will do.

However for the pmUA, if you received a full refund (which is standard for trip in vain) you did not recieve ORC.

If you try to not be refunded, my guess you will only get credit for miles flown.

emcampbe Oct 2, 2012 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 19427510)
Given all the recent changes at UA, it is hard to predict what the new UA will do.

However for the pmUA, if you received a full refund (which is standard for trip in vain) you did not recieve ORC.

If you try to not be refunded, my guess you will only get credit for miles flown.

It should be either refund or ORC miles, definitely not both. There's absolutely zero reason why UA (or any airline) would or should give miles for a trip that was refunded.

SometimesFlyer Oct 3, 2012 10:06 am

Yup, I certainly do not expect both a refund and ORC in the event of a trip in vain situation.

In the past, when this has happened, I have been able to just "abandon" my ticket (no refund), get routed on the first flight back to origin and then get the original routing credit after a call to the MP cust svc number. As WineCountry pointed out, with the new UA, I'm less certain this will happen and was trying to see if anyone has any experience.

Honestly, if ORC were available for the trip in vain, I might try to book as close to the min connection time at EWR as possible as it would mean less flying for the same miles. Groan, perhaps this is a better question for the MR forums.

Thanks.

LAXOGG Oct 3, 2012 10:21 am

Originally Posted by SometimesFlyer (Post 19429954)
Yup, I certainly do not expect both a refund and ORC in the event of a trip in vain situation.

In the past, when this has happened, I have been able to just "abandon" my ticket (no refund), get routed on the first flight back to origin and then get the original routing credit after a call to the MP cust svc number. As WineCountry pointed out, with the new UA, I'm less certain this will happen and was trying to see if anyone has any experience.

Honestly, if ORC were available for the trip in vain, I might try to book as close to the min connection time at EWR as possible as it would mean less flying for the same miles. Groan, perhaps this is a better question for the MR forums.

Thanks.

If you abandon the EWR-BBB-EWR segments, won't the remainder of itinerary be cancelled? I strongly suggest calling before abandoning.

Far From Home Oct 3, 2012 2:09 pm

Similar scenario happened to me.

Your options are likely to be 1) return to AAA with credit for miles flown, 2) bump to flights later or next day and UA will not cover meals/hotel/etc, 3) abandon at your own peril.

In my case, I tried the "trip in vain" argument to get original routing credit. The trip actually was to see a friend for his birthday, but the misconnect due to weather mucked up all the rest of the travel...UA rebooked my next outbound flight to be later than my return flight.

UA refused the ORC request.

If you have nowhere to be, and you're willing to put up with getting bounced around in the system to whichever other flights are available, you still should be able to complete the itin...eventually.

GoAmtrak Nov 4, 2012 1:42 am

Does anyone have experience with how the new UA handles trip-in-vein scenarios on award tickets? Obviously no ORC to pursue, but a refund of miles and fees paid would be in order.

garykung Nov 4, 2012 2:24 am

OP, are you flying SFO-EWR-BQN?

SometimesFlyer Nov 4, 2012 11:43 am

Originally Posted by garykung (Post 19620423)
OP, are you flying SFO-EWR-BQN?

Yup, exactly. With that connection in EWR that is right at the MCT. Flying SFO-EWR-BQN-EWR-SFO on MR. You headed on the same?

garykung Nov 4, 2012 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by SometimesFlyer (Post 19622464)
Yup, exactly. With that connection in EWR that is right at the MCT. Flying SFO-EWR-BQN-EWR-SFO on MR. You headed on the same?

Yup...

In that case - you should be able to get a refund and credit for SFO-EWR RT.

Not the EWR-BQN.

SkyTeam777 Nov 18, 2012 9:41 am

Is the best plan to email 1k Voice? I had a PHL-PHX trip that misconnected because the crew was late getting to the airport (why are they staying in the city??) They were 2 hours late getting to the airport because they were stuck in marathon traffic! Anyway, I rerouted to just go home instead of taking that trip, but I want to get original routing credit. Thoughts on calling 1K line versus emailing? Getting the EQMs is the most important thing to me.

craz Nov 18, 2012 9:50 am

Originally Posted by SometimesFlyer (Post 19622464)

:confused: doesnt the EWR-BQN leave around 8:30pm? and there are numerous flights that get into EWR way before that, so you can simply do SBY thats assuming you actually want to fly to BQN, if not just keep checking on what the flight you are booked on SFO-EWR has been doing arriving wise into EWR as long as its at its gate 30 mins before the BQN flight leaves Id say you are going to BQN w/o any trip in vain

WineCountryUA Nov 18, 2012 10:00 am

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777 (Post 19705495)
... I want to get original routing credit. Thoughts on calling 1K line versus emailing? Getting the EQMs is the most important thing to me.

going via MP SC has had a better record than going to reservations. Calling or faxing.

flycal312 Dec 1, 2012 5:46 pm

PQMs & Trip in Vain

There are some threads on this topic from pmCO, but does anyone have experience with declaring a trip in vain on the new UA?

In my case, I was originally flying JFK-SFO-PDX-SFO-JFK. Will end up flying JFK-SFO-JFK and a refund will be processed for the full fare. While I'm sure I won't get credit for the flights to PDX, I'm wondering if I will get mileage credit/PQMs for JFK-SFO-JFK?

Interesting point of information: I learned the shares code for a trip in vain is GG CARRY OVER. This will be of use to folks talking to pmUA agents who didn't tend to offer a trip in vain benefit.

WineCountryUA Dec 1, 2012 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by flycal312 (Post 19779191)
.... In my case, I was originally flying JFK-SFO-PDX-SFO-JFK. Will end up flying JFK-SFO-JFK and a refund will be processed for the full fare. While I'm sure I won't get credit for the flights to PDX, I'm wondering if I will get mileage credit/PQMs for JFK-SFO-JFK. ....

The pattern had been, if full fare refunded (aka travel in vain) no PQMS/RDMs

recent threads
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...trip-vain.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ue-irrops.html