Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Expert Mode: opt-in to see upgrade visibility/fare bucket data/Issue staying enabled?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 15, 2018, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seanp7
Feb 2023: Many reports that Expert Mode checkbox is being disabled automatically / randomly (in some cases, repeatedly), and users have to opt back in on the website to re-enable Expert Mode.

Note on 18 Oct 2018 the fare class for upgrades changed from R to PZ
Changes to UA's Fare Classes (19-20 October 2018)

Updated instructions (2022)
Originally Posted by Micp3208
... Try this:
My United > Settings > Special Preferences & Accomodations > Scroll down past search preferences and click “Enable expert mode”.
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi Everyone,

I wanted to let you know that we’ll be re-launching Expert Mode as an opt-in feature later this afternoon. This feature will display all fare classes when shopping for flights on united.com. You can opt-in to this feature by logging into your MileagePlus account and following these steps:
  1. Go to united.com > My Account
  2. Select “Manage Profile”
  3. In the Preferences section, select “View All Flight Search Preferences”
  4. In the Expert Mode section, read and acknowledge the customer advisements
  5. Click “Save” at the bottom of the page

As always, thanks for your feedback and patience over the last couple weeks while we worked to make these changes.

Shannon

Archive thread: Expert Mode: better upgrade visibility and opt-in to see fare bucket data {Archive}

Print Wikipost

Expert Mode: opt-in to see upgrade visibility/fare bucket data/Issue staying enabled?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2020, 12:21 pm

Programs: UA-1K, AA-Gold, HH-Gold, MR - Gold, HY-Explorist
I have had this same issue as well. Beware that this also carries over into Same Day Change offers on the computer sometimes, although the 1K agents are able to get it done for me on the phone when that happens.
Old Sep 6, 2020, 3:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K, B9, AA, DL, WN
Is Expert Mode permanently broken? For at least a few months now, every flight I search shows 0 in all or practically all buckets, even when a wide variety of fares are available and offered for sale in the Search results. I thought this was just a glitch back when COVID first caused booking system chaos, but it has never been fixed.

Example from a search I did when purchasing a ticket this morning: N, K, B, R, and P were all 0 but all offered for sale in their respective "columns."
Old Sep 6, 2020, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by higher_flyer
Is Expert Mode permanently broken? For at least a few months now, every flight I search shows 0 in all or practically all buckets, even when a wide variety of fares are available and offered for sale in the Search results. I thought this was just a glitch back when COVID first caused booking system chaos, but it has never been fixed.

Example from a search I did when purchasing a ticket this morning: N, K, B, R, and P were all 0 but all offered for sale in their respective "columns."
works fine for me ...
Old Sep 6, 2020, 4:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, WN A+, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Amb, Hertz PC
I have to search by segment or it shows incorrectly. Really frustrating.
higher_flyer and bluedemon211 like this.
Old Sep 6, 2020, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by cfischer
works fine for me ...
Wow, really? I see the same thing in the App and on the Web. Here's the flight I mentioned above with all classes available for sale:

Originally Posted by Duke777
Ahhh fascinating. Just tried that, and voilà.

Yessss, incredibly frustrating. Even more so, considering the SFO non-stop I have flown monthly for many years is gone for now. Connecting flights only, and I am guessing that will be the case for a long while.

I didn't even imagine that domestic connecting flights would cause such an issue with fare classes. So very lame
Duke777 likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 6, 2020 at 4:28 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Sep 6, 2020, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you search segment-by-segment, the results you get are meaningless, unless you are looking specifically for upgrade inventory (in which case, that's not only the correct procedure, it's the only valid one). Even if there is an appropriate fare in place, the fact that there is K inventory on ABC-DEF and K inventory on DEF-GHI does not mean that there is K inventory on ABC-DEF-GHI.

Originally Posted by higher_flyer
I didn't even imagine that domestic connecting flights would cause such an issue with fare classes. So very lame
It didn't; there's something else wrong. I'm able to reproduce the issue that's being described, but I've flown on connecting flights for years, and Expert Mode has always been 99%+ accurate. Somehow, UA has managed to break their inventory retrieval code.

ExpertFlyer (and presumably KVS Tool) still show the correct information, but right now, the only thing that UA Expert Mode can reliably be used for is finding upgrade space.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2020, 6:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, WN A+, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Amb, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jsloan
If you search segment-by-segment, the results you get are meaningless, unless you are looking specifically for upgrade inventory (in which case, that's not only the correct procedure, it's the only valid one). Even if there is an appropriate fare in place, the fact that there is K inventory on ABC-DEF and K inventory on DEF-GHI does not mean that there is K inventory on ABC-DEF-GHI.
I know but this works for PN and PZ. Also let’s me know how much P and above is available. P availability is always a positive sign for upgrades. I don’t care much about Y inventory and married segments. Plus I’m still ending up in G or K these days.
Old Sep 6, 2020, 6:40 pm

It didn't; there's something else wrong. I'm able to reproduce the issue that's being described, but I've flown on connecting flights for years, and Expert Mode has always been 99%+ accurate. Somehow, UA has managed to break their inventory retrieval code.
Oh I totally agree. I never had this problem until the COVID chaos melted down the reservation systems in late spring. This appeared around that time, and in all the ensuing months it has not been fixed
Old Sep 6, 2020, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I know but this works for PN and PZ. Also let’s me know how much P and above is available. P availability is always a positive sign for upgrades. I don’t care much about Y inventory and married segments. Plus I’m still ending up in G or K these days.
Fair enough; I just wanted to point that out in case anybody reading this thread got confused. As you say, if you're looking specifically for anything related to upgrades, point-by-point searches are far superior.
SPN Lifer and Duke777 like this.
Old Sep 7, 2020, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I see this on one search

and this on another

--is the second one accurate, at least?

Quite strange.
Old Sep 7, 2020, 9:46 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by fumje
--is the second one accurate, at least?

Quite strange.
Is the second one a fare break? Is there a fare for ATL-LGA routing via ORD?

Fare breaks separates the fare class inventory
Old Sep 7, 2020, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Is the second one a fare break? Is there a fare for ATL-LGA routing via ORD?

Fare breaks separates the fare class inventory
Both are KAX7ADES.

Here is the fare construction for each, which matches what UA is showing:

Old Sep 7, 2020, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Both are KAX7ADES.
They're actually both broken fares. That's why CHI appears at all; if they were through fares, it would only have shown one component for each search; SFO-NYC for the first and ATL-NYC for the second.

So, it's sometimes faulty with broken fares also.
Old Sep 7, 2020, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They're actually both broken fares. That's why CHI appears at all; if they were through fares, it would only have shown one component for each search; SFO-NYC for the first and ATL-NYC for the second.

So, it's sometimes faulty with broken fares also.
Sorry, yes indeed they are both broken. But to the question about the expert mode problem, I find it quite confusing that there is a different display, especially in this case where it's pulling the same fare and presumably then applying the same routing rules. The zeroed inventory is obviously wrong, but I wonder, if a nonzero inventory is displayed, is it correct? It doesn't really matter with 9 all the way down in this example, but the discrepancy makes me doubt both.
Old Sep 7, 2020, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sorry, yes indeed they are both broken. But to the question about the expert mode problem, I find it quite confusing that there is a different display, especially in this case where it's pulling the same fare and presumably then applying the same routing rules.
It isn't the same fare. The origin and destination cities are part of the fare; even if two fares have the same name, if they serve different city pairs, they're different fares.

The zeroed inventory is obviously wrong, but I wonder, if a nonzero inventory is displayed, is it correct? It doesn't really matter with 9 all the way down in this example, but the discrepancy makes me doubt both.
I share your doubts. I would not rely on any of the values, although I suspect that the non-zero values are probably correct.

What's happening is that the Expert Mode code (and, in most cases, the pricing software) is searching for each fare component separately. This bypasses the married segment inventory that UA puts in place for all sets of flights that it intends to sell as connections. (I don't think it's intentional -- I just don't think UA has bothered to go in and clean it up). So, that explains the case where the values appear to be correct -- but it doesn't explain the case with all of the zeroes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.