FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Expert Mode: opt-in to see upgrade visibility/fare bucket data/Issue staying enabled?
Old Sep 7, 2020, 12:12 pm
jsloan
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fumje
Sorry, yes indeed they are both broken. But to the question about the expert mode problem, I find it quite confusing that there is a different display, especially in this case where it's pulling the same fare and presumably then applying the same routing rules.
It isn't the same fare. The origin and destination cities are part of the fare; even if two fares have the same name, if they serve different city pairs, they're different fares.

Originally Posted by fumje
The zeroed inventory is obviously wrong, but I wonder, if a nonzero inventory is displayed, is it correct? It doesn't really matter with 9 all the way down in this example, but the discrepancy makes me doubt both.
I share your doubts. I would not rely on any of the values, although I suspect that the non-zero values are probably correct.

What's happening is that the Expert Mode code (and, in most cases, the pricing software) is searching for each fare component separately. This bypasses the married segment inventory that UA puts in place for all sets of flights that it intends to sell as connections. (I don't think it's intentional -- I just don't think UA has bothered to go in and clean it up). So, that explains the case where the values appear to be correct -- but it doesn't explain the case with all of the zeroes.