Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

General Baggage Allowance/Fee Questions (separate PNR's; award/paid combo, etc.)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

General Baggage Allowance/Fee Questions (separate PNR's; award/paid combo, etc.)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2017, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by 89703511961
As a *G I get my first bag free on flights within the US. Normally the first bag costs $25 and second $35. With the free bag, does my second bag cost $25 and third cost $35 or would my second still be $35 and third $150 or so?
It's not really a "free bag" - it's a waiver of the $25 fee for the first bag. Second is $35, etc.
Old May 1, 2017, 2:19 am

Baggage fee

Sorry if this has been asked and answered. I am currently waiting for my flight using the Excursionist Perk. I am flying Brussels Airlines from CDG to BRU. They said my economy award ticket from United doesn't include checked baggage. Does the Excursionist Perk flight include baggage? I ended up paying 35 euro baggage fee and I'm wondering if I can get United to reimburse me.
Old May 1, 2017, 8:58 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
That's odd. Last time I booked a United award with legs on Brussels Airlines, it was booked as a Flex&Fast ticket (and I was seated in that section as well), which included a bag. (And yes, the bags were checked with Brussels as the first leg of the "return")

The excursionist perk should not matter. Maybe Brussels no longer considers X class awards from OAL as Flex&Fast and have bumped them down to Check&Go.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 5:33 pm

[Question] Checked bag for United Airline

Hi there,

I have reserved two international trips from Boston USA to Asia and both of them showed different checked bag fees per traveler: (Both United Economy)

1. Boston --> Shanghai: 1st bag shows $0 but the 2nd bag shows $100 (Boston --> New York/New Yewark --> Shanhai, (PVG))
2. Boston --> Osaka: Both 1st and 2nd bag shows $0 (Boston --> San Francisco --> Osaka, (KIX))

Question: I thought international trips are always allowed to have 2 bags checked in for free, does anyone know any recent changes for the international trip with United Airline?

Thank you all
Old Dec 17, 2017, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CutePuppy95
Hi there,

I have reserved two international trips from Boston USA to Asia and both of them showed different checked bag fees per traveler: (Both United Economy)

1. Boston --> Shanghai: 1st bag shows $0 but the 2nd bag shows $100 (Boston --> New York/New Yewark --> Shanhai, (PVG))
2. Boston --> Osaka: Both 1st and 2nd bag shows $0 (Boston --> San Francisco --> Osaka, (KIX))

Question: I thought international trips are always allowed to have 2 bags checked in for free, does anyone know any recent changes for the international trip with United Airline?

Thank you all
It’s no longer as simple as “international destinations get two free bags.” United has been tweaking its baggage rules for years, and it’s done on a destination-by-destination basis. (They basically try to compete with whatever local carriers do). In this case, it appears that their rules are more generous for Japan than they are for China.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 6:12 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by CutePuppy95
.... Question: I thought international trips are always allowed to have 2 bags checked in for free, does anyone know any recent changes for the international trip with United Airline? ....
The most common bag allowance for economy is one checked bag. This is not just UA, but for many airlines. Certain destinations have better allowance due to governmental requires (such as Brazil) or due to competitive issues (such as China)

Premium cabin or airline status can offer better bag allowance.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan

It’s no longer as simple as “international destinations get two free bags.” United has been tweaking its baggage rules for years, and it’s done on a destination-by-destination basis. (They basically try to compete with whatever local carriers do). In this case, it appears that their rules are more generous for Japan than they are for China.
Thank you for your info !
Old Dec 17, 2017, 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The most common bag allowance for economy is one checked bag. This is not just UA, but for many airlines. Certain destinations have better allowance due to governmental requires (such as Brazil) or due to competitive issues (such as China)

Premium cabin or airline status can offer better bag allowance.
Thanks a lot, I will pay more attention in the future
Old Dec 17, 2017, 10:11 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K, Starwood/Marriott Gold
Hey Guys!

I am travelling TLV-SFO in Y. I am a UA Silver, but also Star Alliance Gold. I will have 2 bags. If I only had Silver in the res (or GM for all it matters), the baggage allowance would be 1. If I had Star Gold in the res, the baggage allowance would be 2. If I want an E+ seat a check in, but want to change to use the Star Gold to check the bag, what do I do. Do I just have to pay for the second bag or only travel on Star Gold?

Thanks!!
Old Dec 18, 2017, 6:15 pm

Hi

I have a simple question, that so far I have not find an answer in the website, does UA has extra baggage prepaid offers? I was able to purchase a combo for premium economy and an extra bag, but I just realized I will have another extra bag... On AF/KLM I am able to paid for the extra bag at a discount price online...

Will be great if I can save $20 or so on UA too
Old Dec 27, 2017, 11:17 am

Baggage allowance for companion

What are United's rules for companions on the same PNR in terms of baggage allowance? I get two free check-in bags, does my partner get the same, or any at all?

Thanks and Happy Holidays.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
The same.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 12:07 pm

Thanks for the quick reply. Does anyone know what United's baggage policy is on codeshare flights, e.g. I book a flight with United but it happens to be operated by Air Canada? Do I get the United Premier Gold allowance or just the Star Alliance one?
Old Dec 27, 2017, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by flyercity
Thanks for the quick reply. Does anyone know what United's baggage policy is on codeshare flights, e.g. I book a flight with United but it happens to be operated by Air Canada? Do I get the United Premier Gold allowance or just the Star Alliance one?
You get your Star Alliance status baggage allowance (number and weight), not UA status allowance if you are checking in with Air Canada (doesn't matter if it has a UA codeshare number on it). United makes it plenty clear that United baggage allowance for Premiers only occurs at United check-in counters.

(Modified) from the baggage calculator that you can access online if you want to:
"Baggage check-in must occur with United or United Express, and you must have valid MileagePlus Premier® (fill in your status) membership at time of check-in to qualify for waiver of service charges....".

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Dec 27, 2017 at 12:31 pm
Old Jan 14, 2018, 9:02 am

Programs: free agent
I got an aeroplan-ticketed award trip, and will fly F with TG and NH first then Y on ORD-PIT UA flight. I know that I have to drop off bag again once i clear US Customs, so United shouldn't charge me baggage fee? I doubt so but want to be sure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.